Diablo SB review.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Diablo SB review.

Post by SPAZ » Sun May 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the review. Sound like that Diablo is a great stick. I really want a Diablo slant bridge! :)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Diablo SB review.

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 21, 2007 4:26 am

Even without the slant bridge, the Diablo would be an excellent addition to an angler's arsenal. That being said, I never really had an interest in the slant bridge models but now my interest has been piqued by this review.
On a side note, I understand your reasoning for using a snap for testing the speed trap and LC LV200, however your results with the lipless crank may have been different had you not used the snap. Maybe it's just one of my personal idiosyncrasies (of which I have many) but I believe the action of a lipless crank is diminished when a snap is used as opposed to tying directly to the line.
Great review as always. Thanks for taunting the monkey!

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Mon May 21, 2007 5:27 am

I have a love/hate :hugs: :evil: relationship with these reviews. I love the great info these guys shell out for us, and I hate the fact that it makes me NEED the stuff they review. The Diablo is most certainly next on the rod list :evil22:

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 am

Very interesting review!!
Cal can you describe here also differences between Diablo and Jabberwock Evo and JOTA!?
I use Jota for spinnerbait fishing..I want to know if it's so much different from Jabberwock Evo!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 21, 2007 6:10 am

Thanks guys... glad you liked the writeup....
MontaKen wrote:Very interesting review!!
Cal can you describe here also differences between Diablo and Jabberwock Evo and JOTA!?
Don't have the Jota MK, so unfortunately, i can't offer an opinion on it. Sorry.
Johnny A wrote:On a side note, I understand your reasoning for using a snap for testing the speed trap and LC LV200, however your results with the lipless crank may have been different had you not used the snap.
JA, when I use a snap to connect to any type of crank or jerkbait, I snap directly to the line tie loop on the bait - not the split ring. In that rigging, the snap behaves just like the split ring, provided, of course, it has a wide enough bend at the bottom.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 am

You waited this long to post that Beauty!? You are not as vain as I!

Superb review and writeup young man!!!

Dan

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 am

Johnny A wrote:On a side note, I understand your reasoning for using a snap for testing the speed trap and LC LV200, however your results with the lipless crank may have been different had you not used the snap.
JA, when I use a snap to connect to any type of crank or jerkbait, I snap directly to the line tie loop on the bait - not the split ring. In that rigging, the snap behaves just like the split ring, provided, of course, it has a wide enough bend at the bottom.
Thanks for the clarification!

Is there a "thumbs up" emoticon or did I overlook it?[/quote]
Last edited by Johnny A on Mon May 21, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

twitchtwitchreel
Angler
Angler

Post by twitchtwitchreel » Mon May 21, 2007 7:44 am

Sorry, I would have to fish with that rod to know for sure but, I think the strips up the blank are just for show. It is hard for me to believe the Ti strips help dampen the rod. There just isn’t enough there. The dampening effect comes form the resin and fiber ration and bonding sequences. American Rod Smith tried the same tactic. It was all gimmick.

Great review though for sure!

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 am

From the review:
Fig. 1 : This RoD Deflection Chart shows the deflection characteristics of two XFti rods against similarly rated rods in the GLoomis lineup. Note the strikingly similar curves.
Great rods are built alike!

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am

Excellent review Cal. :clap: The price you paid for it was well worth it as you not only got one of the best sticks on the market but in its limited form! The Diablo is deffinatly my next weapon of choice. Stay tuned for pics :D .

Im almost tempted to try and trade the Elseil for it but I wont, I need it. :evil22:

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Mon May 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Cal wrote:Thanks guys... glad you liked the writeup....
MontaKen wrote:Very interesting review!!
Don't have the Jota MK, so unfortunately, i can't offer an opinion on it. Sorry.
Thanks however ;)

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon May 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Great review , and insight into the FTi sticks. I liked the Wolverine plug for Marvel. Wolverine will be getting a movie soon. ;)

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:Great review , and insight into the FTi sticks. I liked the Wolverine plug for Marvel. Wolverine will be getting a movie soon. ;)
I hope so, Wolverine is my favorite character. :)

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Diablo SB review. Cal?

Post by bassm1n » Tue May 22, 2007 7:31 am

Hi Cal,
I would be interested in how you would compare the Diablo with the Super Destroyer III in terms of action, application, and sensitivity.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diablo SB review. Cal?

Post by Cal » Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 am

bassm1n wrote:Hi Cal,
I would be interested in how you would compare the Diablo with the Super Destroyer III in terms of action, application, and sensitivity.
The Super Destroyer III is an F6 stick while the Diablo is an F5, so right away the Diablo is a power lower than the SD III.

I haven't had a SD III for over a year now, maybe two, so I can't draw any direct comparisons other than to say the SD III is noticeably more stout than the Diablo.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"