My thoughts on the 7'1" steez and Loomis 7'1" jig/

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My thoughts on the 7'1" steez and Loomis 7'1"

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 22, 2007 7:01 pm

5bites wrote:I really wish they would release these blanks to the custom builders and I would have whatever I wanted. :D
Drop Mattman a msg on here he does exquisite work and can get Loomis blanks for you.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 pm

GO,
Unfortunately Loomis does not sell any of the of the Jig/Worm blanks. You can buy GLX blanks out the MagBass series though. IMO, it's a real pity that they don't sell the the Jig/Worm blanks. I am certain people would buy them.
Last edited by bassbandit on Wed May 23, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Oh didnt know that. What type of graphite blanks do they use for their worm rods?

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue May 22, 2007 8:18 pm

Tigerbass wrote:

Question: I take it that bass pro did not have a problem with you returning the steez?

No it was surprisingly painless. The guys at the counter were more surprised to see one come back more than anything. They asked lots of question as they were curious about the rod themselves.

GAMEOVER,

I would like to have a Mattman built rod but their is a local guy that has been building them for 18 years. Not that I think he can do better but it might be easier to get things exactly the way I want working face to face. Plus I've always wanted to learn more about rod making so this would give me a chance to get some experience. Maybe someday I will decide to make them myself when I get the chance. :D

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:21 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Oh didnt know that. What type of graphite blanks do they use for their worm rods?
They use the green painted GLX on their Jig and Worm rods. However, they have an extra fast action and are not available to custom rod builders. You can only buy the rod (BCR GLX's)

They also use GLX blanks in their Mag Bass rods (783, 842, 843 GLX ect). These blanks are available to custom rod builders. However, these rods use a fast taper and not the coveted extra fast actions used in the jig and worm rods. Also, the Mag Bass GLX is not a painted blank like the BCR's. Both series of rods use GLX graphite, but only the fast actions are available to buy in blank form.

More FYI, the BCR jig and worm rods use titanium recoil guides (due to their extreme sensitivity). The Mag Bass series use Fuji SIC guides.

There you have it. :D
Last edited by fishing 247 on Tue May 22, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue May 22, 2007 8:22 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Oh didnt know that. What type of graphite blanks do they use for their worm rods?

They have GLX blanks. I don't know what the Mossback jig rods use though. I think the main difference in the jig and magbass blanks is the tapers. Not sure though. I sure would love a no foregrip split grip worm and jig rod though! :D :D :D Maybe someday. :?

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue May 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Wow fishing! You're to fast or I'm to slow!

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Tue May 22, 2007 8:44 pm

5bites wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys! I was a little nervous of saying anything not wanting to offend someone.
You missed what I had to say about the Steez rod I owned briefly. :lol: It was a real lemon. The reel seat was chincy, the foam grips I felt were cheap. The quality of contsruction was poor. It was put together very sloppy. It was light, but not as light as my UFM.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue May 22, 2007 11:37 pm

GH,

Just out of curiosity, was your Steez an import or a domestic?

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Wed May 23, 2007 7:14 am

bassbandit wrote:GH,

domestic

T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=10910

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Wed May 23, 2007 7:45 am

fishing 247 wrote:They also use GLX blanks in their Mag Bass rods (783, 842, 843 GLX ect).
Correct except 842, not available in GLX blanks. I've looked.....

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 am

GamblerHydra wrote:

domestic

Dont know how I missed your Steez post David but thats unacceptable. Do you own the rod they replaced that one with still?

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Wed May 23, 2007 12:14 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:

domestic

Don't know how I missed your Steez post David but thats unacceptable. Do you own the rod they replaced that one with still?
What happened was at the time Bass Pro had sold only a handful, and mine was not the only one returned according to Bass pro. That was indepentently verified on TT by a BP employee. In working with Daiwa and Bass pro on what I thought a $450 dollar rod should offer, they realized this stick could not compete with the current rods I owned at this price point. It was a big ordeal and took weeks to straighten out. I am still waiting on a call from the purchasing manager for Daiwa US ,as well the product manager. It has been several months , so I doubt it ever comes. I refrain from naming them individually, but most know who they are. Long story short it was decided since I was a loyal Daiwa customer they would send me another Steez reel ,since no one felt that putting the cosmetic issues aside, that I would be happy with another Steez rod. If I ever tried another one it would be a JDM.