My thoughts on the 7'1" steez and Loomis 7'1" jig/

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

My thoughts on the 7'1" steez and Loomis 7'1" jig/

Post by 5bites » Mon May 21, 2007 8:25 pm

I anticipated buying the Steez for a good two weeks and was pretty pumped up about it. I got my money loaded the family in the car and off to Bass Pro we went (I love going to Bass Pro!). I made a lap through the store and finally pulled the trigger and walked out with the Steez.

I played with it for a week in the backyard and thought it felt okay but I was excited to get on the water to see what it could really do. After a day of hardcore pitching I came up disappointed, well crushed in a way. I had a hard time keeping my jigs close to the water on average distance pitches. Longer distance pitches were better though as far as it letting you reach out a little farther than normal. I don't like pitching that far though as accuracy suffers and it gets harder to drop your bait in softly. My accuracy was not what it should have been either. The hook set felt really nice! A little give but plenty of muscle. I felt in good control setting the hook. Sensitivity was fair but not mind blowing at all. The rod felt great as far as ergonomics though I thought the foam was a little hard in a way. It defiantly is light. It looks awesome too. Flashy, yet clean and simple. I played with it for another week and decided it had to go back. I wasn't about to be disappointed in any way with a $500 rod! The guys at the counter couldn't believe I was bringing it back but were understanding as to why I did after explaining it to them.

I took home a GLX worm and jig 7'1" heavy. I was/am very impressed with this rod. It's not as light or nice looking as the Steez but I wouldn't trade back even if they were the same price. Sensitivity is very nice! Strikes were very easily detectable as in no doubt as to whats going on. Reading what your lure is doing is just as easy. I had much better luck with lure control and accuracy. It does everything I ask it to in great form. The hook set is nice but maybe not quite as nice as the Steez. You have slightly better control with the Steez. It's definitely isn't $150 behind the Steez though. This rod has convinced me to buy more Loomis rods and likely have some custom rods made on Loomis blanks.

I'm not trying to start any kind of a rod war. I just thought as expensive as these rods are maybe I could help someone make a decision one way or the other. I was really disappointed that I didn't fall in love with the Steez. It's super light and the looks are sweet but I like looking at fish in a weigh-in bag more than looking at rods any day!

Btw, I grabbed A Steez lefty while I was there and it is the best reel I've held to date. Don't think about buying one just go buy it! As the cash comes in I will have more Loomis rods with Steez reels on them!!!

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My thoughts on the 7'1" steez and Loomis 7'1"

Post by SPAZ » Mon May 21, 2007 9:00 pm

5bites,

Great review as I was thinking how both of them compared to each other and considered both for future purchases. Btw, I have the Steez reel too and I love it. Just plain great.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Mon May 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Great info!! thanks for sharing..

samuraiti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by samuraiti » Tue May 22, 2007 12:43 am

Thanks 5bites for the report.

I've had my BCR855 for a while and wondered if the Steez was going to be better. I'm glad you gave the report as I was thinking it would be my next purchase.

I love my 855 except you can swing in 3-4lbers in the boat as fast as you hook them (although I guess that's a good thing in a tourney...too bad I can't get enough 5s and 6s!).

Thanks again,

Todd

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 am

Hard to go wrong with the BCR's for fishing jigs and worms. People complain about the price, but I think they are fairly affordable compared to some of the other rods out there today. Especially if you get a good deal on ebay. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find those deals. I don't know what happend to fatfishfarmer and orientalfishing.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Tue May 22, 2007 6:32 am

Thanks for a great report......I have never been disappointed by any GLoomis either.....the Steez looks nice so

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Tue May 22, 2007 8:24 am

Thank for the report....I haven't fished w/ the Steez rods but its what I would expect. I do however have a BCR-GlX and love it.

Bryfmd

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 am

I have a bcr853 GLX...GREAT rod. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I use it for pitching texas rigs and lighter jigs and it is just phenomenal..

Justin

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue May 22, 2007 8:55 am

I'm guessing that what happened to fatfishfarmer is that someone complained. Technically he was not supposed to sell any rods below the price that G.Loomis sets. Think back to the situation with Ginrin. Some people on this board were really offended that he was selling under everyone else too.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Tue May 22, 2007 9:11 am

I think that the worm rod, is the most important, technique specific rod you can have. I have the BCR853, and it performs great. I love fishing with it. Very sensitive!!!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:26 am

The only thing IMO that keeps GLoomis Factory Sticks from being considered among import Elites is the overall QC in the overall detailing of the rods.

I love my new GLX, but the clear coat wraps over the guides is mediocre at best. They are uneven and sloppy and the handle design is outdated as are the straight grips. If Shimano/Loomis corrects or updates this with more modern machinery like what St Croix has and gets their design dept to the modern age...

Then the Steez and others in that price range will have VERY LITTLE appeal over a top end Factory Loomis stick IMO.

Otherwise, the acutal fishability factor along w/sensitivity, action, power, taper...the IMX/GLX/BCR blanks are great.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 am

I’ve always been a fan of Loomis, especially the older MBR series with the Wiebe reelseats. I still have some of the MBR series, but I would have to echo the kudos of the BCR series. Sure they’re not as pretty as some of the other rods out there, heck, even the MBR series look cooler, but the BCR’s have grown on me. I just called in an order via the expeditor program for a BCR802 I crushed with a rod locker this past weekend :oops: . The BC802’s are my favorite rods, I have 2 of them, 2 of the BCR852’s and 1 BCR853. In my opinion, they’re about a ½ power heavier than the former MBR series, thus the lighter models for me.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 pm

dragon1 wrote:The only thing IMO that keeps GLoomis Factory Sticks from being considered among import Elites is the overall QC in the overall detailing of the rods.
On the flipside- The only thing IMO that keeps GLoomis Factory Sticks a consideration for me is they're good performing rods with probably the finest warranty and customer service combined in the industry (when combined). So if im going to be fishing hard (which I always do) and dont really want to baby all my sticks like I do with my few JDMs these sticks are an excellent choice.

I think almost all will agree with what im about to say when I say.. Its nice to sometimes get back to the basics using good performing, basic, and worry-free gear.

5-bites: Thanks for the honest review. I prefer longer sticks as a rule of thumb but nothing over 7 feet. Seven feet use to be my sweet spot length in a rod but its now starting to be the 6'-5" to 6'-10" lengths. If I could and if rods were available that I liked for every technique id build my whole collection with 6'-5" to 6'-10" length rods with maybe one 7-footer. I to love my Steez reel. Some days though it can be a love/hate relationship.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue May 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys! I was a little nervous of saying anything not wanting to offend someone.

GAMEOVER,

If Loomis made a 6'10" h and mh worm and jig I would definitely be all over it as that's the size I have pitched with so far. I'm 5'8" so I was a little concerned about the longer rod. So far so good though. I really like pithing/skipping jigs around docks so I'm sure some 6'8" rods will come soon. I really wish they would release these blanks to the custom builders and I would have whatever I wanted. :D

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue May 22, 2007 6:28 pm

Great review 5bites. Thanks for the honest opinion/comparison. The steez rods look really nice and I've thought about buying one. However, I fish with plastics and jigs so much that I believe sensitivity is by far the most important asset in my rods. I have a kistler helium and a loomis mbr imx rod, both of which I like, but nothing I've fished comes close to the sensitivity of my bcr 803 and 854 rods.

Question: I take it that bass pro did not have a problem with you returning the steez?