New G Loomis Rods!!!!!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New G Loomis Rods!!!!!

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

fishing 247 wrote:Certain models do in fact come with rod socks (fly rods and two piece rods etc). Most of their bass rods do not come with rod socks because they expect the person buying them is going to use the rod for catching bass and not locked away in a sock somewhere. ;)
So, people at G.Loomis assume fly fishermen will lock their rods away in a sock somewhere. Weird...

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Nope. This is because the rods come in mulitple pieces, hince that is why they come with the rod sock. Since most of the bass rods do not come in 2 (or more) pieces they don't come with the socks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 22, 2007 5:32 pm

Oh I have a one-piece bass rod from G.Loomis with a rod sock... a very special rod with a very special rod sock. :evil22:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by xxlbass » Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Made In the USA with a warranty how about that everyone :D Too bad I purchased the SABBR965C last year

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Cal wrote:Oh I have a one-piece bass rod from G.Loomis with a rod sock... a very special rod with a very special rod sock. :evil22:
Are you talking about the one JDM model offered that isnt offered in the US?

F247: Rod socks are nice for when your storing them for awhile (winter). Im going to start making my Megabass ones into christmas stockings.

samuraiti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by samuraiti » Tue May 22, 2007 10:40 pm

It wasn't too long ago they were using Pac Bay guides. I know as I have a GLX with them and when I lost a guide I found out from Hi's Tackle in SF I would have to get the Pac Bay to match. Drat.

Todd
http://www.akeena.net

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 pm

samuraiti is correct on the guides.

When I first started using Loomis in the early 90's it was Weibe and Pac Bay.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 am

dragon1 wrote:When I first started using Loomis in the early 90's it was Weibe and Pac Bay.
The change occurred some 8-10 years ago after Shimano bought Loomis. It is my understanding that the change to Fuji guides occurred first.

IMHO, that would be a sweet combination: Wiebe seat + Fuji guides.

=P~ Gadget

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Yeah Gadget,

It would be the ultimate IMO...

Matter of fact, if the MBR 842 GLX blank could have been gotten, I had a Custom Bulider look into building one w/the Weibe seat (which is now avail for custom rods), split grip, spiral right and Fuji TiSic Concepts, colored winding checks and hook holder.

Alas!!! The blank is not avail. although I understand that the SJ 842 GLX is? I just don't know if it is the same power rating or slightly less?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu May 24, 2007 9:48 pm

dragon1 wrote:Yeah Gadget,

It would be the ultimate IMO...

Matter of fact, if the MBR 842 GLX blank could have been gotten, I had a Custom Bulider look into building one w/the Weibe seat (which is now avail for custom rods), split grip, spiral right and Fuji TiSic Concepts, colored winding checks and hook holder.

Alas!!! The blank is not avail. although I understand that the SJ 842 GLX is? I just don't know if it is the same power rating or slightly less?
Definitely not the same. I have a MB842 and the 7' M GLX i played with (made from the same blank as SJ842) was definitely lower power. I would only use that SJ842 with a pixy to fish with light stuff.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri May 25, 2007 3:10 am

Cal wrote:Oh I have a one-piece bass rod from G.Loomis with a rod sock... a very special rod with a very special rod sock. :evil22:
Me too! But mine isn't too special...ha ha

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri May 25, 2007 3:14 am

mrgadget wrote:IMHO, that would be a sweet combination: Wiebe seat + Fuji guides.
Yup, those transitional period rods (Wiebe seat + Fuji Concepts) were the best. The earlier ones had better workmanship too...

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri May 25, 2007 3:34 am

tonym wrote:Also the JDM versions may come with socks.
Of Loomis' non-domestic market rods, I've seen two series that came with socks: the Centurion and some MBRs. Those were for European and Japanese export. My Japanese export Loomis (MBR Light Plugging rod) has a Fuji seat w/ old style double foot PacBay guides.

They never had JDM rods since Loomis was domestic to the US ("domestic" refers to the home country.) But now that they're owned by the Japanese, they theoretically *could* make a rod for domestic consumption in Japan...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Agree wholeheartedly SLM...

The older Loomis QC and overall craftsmanship was MUCH better.