Megabass Warning

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Warning

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:26 am

Here is the link to the caution frame for additional reference. I would imagine all warnings are applicable. This will go the original Evergreen Japanese text page. You can copy and paste this link into google translator for English.

http://www.evergreen-fishing.com/others ... ution.html

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:26 am

tonym wrote:
mhood wrote:I feel like the cave man in a Geico commercial: Uhhhhh, What!?!?!?

For starters, MBUSA isn't JDM. :roll:

The product is JDM. MBUSA is just the proverbial middleman.
I feel that Megabass is a half-half(for lack of a better term) company. While their rods remain in the JDM their lures do not.
Actually, it is NOT. If a product is built with the intention of being sold in the United States, then that means the product is USDM. It doesn't matter where the product is built, but where it is going to be sold. An example, a Shimano Stella 5000FA is "Made in Japan", but nobody here would consider it as JDM simply because it was built to be sold in America and not in Japan. Even I think that MB rods in general aren't "pure" JDM rods anymore, since the same models offered in Japan are offered in the USA. The target market are both Japan and USA, not exclusively Japan. We shall call them J+USDM. Same applies to the European market.
I remember also in this forum a curious discussion. Someone claimed to have purchased his first JDM rod (a US Steez rod model), then someone else said it was not his first JDM rod because those rods are made in Thailand. Both are not correct!!! Even if a rod is made in Japan, it doesn't mean it is JDM unless it is going to be distributed exclusively in Japan. If a rod is built in Japan for the American market, then that rod is USDM. If the rod is going to be offered only in Japan, then the rod is JDM even if it was built in Thailand.
---- Catch & Release -----

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm

So true, there is a misconception that JDM equates to MIJ, thats simply not the case.

Look at the Alpha Tackle stuff(eg Trinis R rods), I suspect those are JDM but they're made in China and Korea.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:36 am

I still consider Megabass JDM and MegabassUSA just a middleman. I also consider the Trinis JDM.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:50 am

Image :roll: Image
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:16 am

It is hard to consider megabass JDM when you can go down to the local Bass Pro Shop and pick up their baits.

Megabass is a massed produced sell-out to the all mighty dollar.. a real far cry from what they once where.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:50 pm

fishing 247 wrote:It is hard to consider megabass JDM when you can go down to the local Bass Pro Shop and pick up their baits.

Megabass is a massed produced sell-out to the all mighty dollar.. a real far cry from what they once where.
Basic business 101 dude.
All companies are in business to make a profit. Contrary to popular belief; Gan Craft and Evergreen will go down the same road eventually.
You'll probably be seeing Gan Craft and evergreen baits in your local Basspro before to long.
Last edited by tonym on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Papageno1791 wrote:
tonym wrote:
mhood wrote:I feel like the cave man in a Geico commercial: Uhhhhh, What!?!?!?

For starters, MBUSA isn't JDM. :roll:

The product is JDM. MBUSA is just the proverbial middleman.
I feel that Megabass is a half-half(for lack of a better term) company. While their rods remain in the JDM their lures do not.
Actually, it is NOT. If a product is built with the intention of being sold in the United States, then that means the product is USDM. It doesn't matter where the product is built, but where it is going to be sold. An example, a Shimano Stella 5000FA is "Made in Japan", but nobody here would consider it as JDM simply because it was built to be sold in America and not in Japan. Even I think that MB rods in general aren't "pure" JDM rods anymore, since the same models offered in Japan are offered in the USA. The target market are both Japan and USA, not exclusively Japan. We shall call them J+USDM. Same applies to the European market.
I remember also in this forum a curious discussion. Someone claimed to have purchased his first JDM rod (a US Steez rod model), then someone else said it was not his first JDM rod because those rods are made in Thailand. Both are not correct!!! Even if a rod is made in Japan, it doesn't mean it is JDM unless it is going to be distributed exclusively in Japan. If a rod is built in Japan for the American market, then that rod is USDM. If the rod is going to be offered only in Japan, then the rod is JDM even if it was built in Thailand.
How do you base a "domestic" market? Through import or export?
Plat has no problem exporting rods to the US consumer just as MBJ has no problem exporting through it's US sibling MBUSA.
You can walk into any Basspro and get a MB bait, but not a rod. Even though Basspro jumped in bed with MB in order to sell their lures I bet you could not get them to get you a rod.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:22 pm

MB and MBUSA aren't the same company. MBUSA is a USDM retailer, right?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:27 pm

mhood wrote:MB and MBUSA aren't the same company. MBUSA is a USDM retailer, right?
I would assume MBUSA is since it uses the MB name. I bet Masaki answers to corporate.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:37 pm

MegabassUSA is listed by Dun & Bradstreet, Megabass isn't. MegabassUSA is probably a corporation licensed in MA...United States (I really don't want to drop a couple of hundred with D & B to be sure about that).

There are certainly similarities between MB and Shimano...SAC isn't SIC but is part of the Shimano conglomerate. SAC will tell you they sell USDM tackle that has been manufactured in Japan. Lots of other USDM companies do the same thing.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:59 pm

mhood wrote:MegabassUSA is listed by Dun & Bradstreet, Megabass isn't. MegabassUSA is probably a corporation licensed in MA...United States (I really don't want to drop a couple of hundred with D & B to be sure about that).

There are certainly similarities between MB and Shimano...SAC isn't SIC but is part of the Shimano conglomerate. SAC will tell you they sell USDM tackle that has been manufactured in Japan. Lots of other USDM companies do the same thing.
Well sure. The Stradic is just one example.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:28 pm

tonym wrote:Well sure. The Stradic is just one example.
Bingo!!! USDM isn't about the product or where it was built. It's about who is selling and to whom. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:06 pm

mhood wrote:
tonym wrote:Well sure. The Stradic is just one example.
Bingo!!! USDM isn't about the product or where it was built. It's about who is selling and to whom. ;)
So in essence there is no DM products? it's an open market?
Like I asked Papa. Is DM through import or export? You can literally buy any "JDM" tackle product through Plat. That technically makes Plat an exporter. Another example is BB. As far as I know he can import just about any "JDM tackle you need. He's an importer of JDM tackle goods. Does this make them USDM tackle as soon as it hits US soil?
Is Gan Craft or Evergreen JDM? I know alot of people that have these products here in the US that did not smuggle them in a suitcase coming back from a business or pleasure trip from Japan.
Through proper channeling you can get another countries product even though it's not a targeted market.
MB targeted the US as a market for their lures through distribution. This is why I called them a half/half company.
I don't know if MBUSA was the brain child of Masaki or MB, but you still can't walk into your local Basspro or Cabelas and purchase a MB rod. They have to be ordered through a Japanese online vendor or MBUSA.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:14 pm

We're dangerously close to arguing semantics now but USDM = United States Domestic Market. The Market isn't defined by the products...it's defined by the buyers and sellers in the marketplace. BB is selling to the USDM, as is Pier 1, as is Honda...all are selling imported goods. And I certainly recognize the grey wash the Internet has given the GDM (Global Domestic Market). ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker