Custom finesse plastic rod just arrived!!!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Custom finesse plastic rod just arrived!!!

Post by Redfisher18 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Derek777,

I noticed that right away when I took it out last night to cast. This is my first spiral wrap so I assumed it was normal. George knows what he is doing so I'm not worried about it.

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:37 pm

I just took a closer look at the wrap. The first guide actually starts off off center to the left. The next two guides wrap around to the right. The 4th guide is completely underneath the rod, with all subsequent guides lined up with the 4th.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:27 pm

There are a few different ways to spiral wrap, and different builders have their own personal preferences. I don't think that there is necessarily one way that is better than the others, from what I have heard.

Anyhow, that is a nice rod, you have there. I believe that the first guide is off to the side to help keep the line from piling up on the side of the spool, by the way.

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Nice set up! :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 pm

I see that you have taken up the option for the winding checks on the foregrip and at the split handle ends!

I have four of his rods: Loomis CB847, Rogue MB703, St Croix First Gen 66MLF, and a Shikari PP 703.5. All are built with exceptional pride, care, style and individual beauty.

He is also a first rate human and you will be very happy with his work.

Now, for my next custom, I will most likely go with the Mattman since I don't have an Otterod yet, and like said, it is better to have and not need! 8-)

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:31 am

Absolutely beautiful! Really impressive. The winding checks set it off nicely.

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:09 am

Papageno1791 wrote:Just a comment, shouldn't this kind of threads be placed in the "Show and Tell" forum?
I agree. This is not really a Enthusiast Rod, it's a custom rod.
Looks like a nice rod though.

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:35 am

This is not really a Enthusiast Rod, it's a custom rod.
Whatever man. If a custom built legend elite is not considered enthusiast tackle, I don't know what is. Maybe I should have put this in show and tell, but I wanted to give George Roth some recognition in one of our more popular forums. I also wanted people to know that custom builts are good alternatives to import rods. There has also been a lot of threads about pixy rods in the past and this rod was built for my pixy.

Gameover,

I went with a plain fuji seat. I was going to go custom painted, but it takes a long time to get one in that fits the particular blank. Apparently they are all the same size stock so it would have involved putting a shim under the reel seat and using a lot of glue to get everything to fit. I felt like that would negatively impact sensitivity and weight (not good for a finesse plastics rod). They were also over $50 vs $3 for the plain black seat. Not to mention, I think the black turned out nice since the reel is silver and black. As far as the price, I paid about $40 more than a factory elite. George charges a per rod build fee (I think $125) and everything else is cost, so it all depends on blanks, guides, threads, etc. Check out his website for a detail on rod charges.

jwick22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jwick22 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:49 am

For you guys doing the Custom rods stuff......

Try the Fuji Soft touch reel seet.

Also, George does do great work.....But the best I have seen is DAve Conway...From Conway Custom Rods.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 pm

I prefer the RF Lite seat design...really exposes the blank for feel and gives a smaller grip area.

George Roth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by George Roth » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Kevin...

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures of your rod on this great site. I just don't get over here like I should. I want to thank all you guys for the kind comments. It is great to know that my work is appreciated.

As for the spiral wrap, the first guide is placed about 5 degrees in the opposite direction of the spiral. This allows the line to be presented to the center of the spool. This is most important when using tight line techniques such as spinnerbaits / crankbaits. The 4th guide is on the bottom.

There are other methods of accomplishing the spiral wrap such as Rich Forhan's method, Ralph O'Quinn's, the bumper method. I personally use the Fuji New Concept spacing of the guides and use Rich's guide placement other than the 4th guide is centered off bottom and not 5 degress off center....which presents the line to the center of the remaining guides on the tip section. Hope that makes sense. I've had great luck with the method I use, so that is what I typically use. I do use the other styles, as I am a custom rod builder and build the rods to my clients specifications.

One thing of note when using spiral wraps, the line should make the transition to the bottom where the blank is stiffest. It should be on bottom where the blank begins to flex when placed under a normal load. This eliminates the tendency for the blank to twist when placed under a load.

Once again, thank you all for the kind remarks. If I can be of service, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Best of luck....George

http://www.georgescustomrods.com