D.R. Tuning and my Pixy and Fuego

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: D.R. Tuning and my Pixy and Fuego

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:14 am

Exactly...now if a deeper spool was avail for the Pixy then it would be a better contender for the all-round usage reel, esp a Pixilla/Pixuki.

I have personally "doinked" the end of the spool of 10lb Izorline Platinum on a Pixy with a 3/4 oz War Eagle Screamin' Eagle that was modified to be heavier with a single smaller willow.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:28 am

I sure didn't mean to imply that a Pixilla would be my first choice for all LMB applications, only that a Pixilla seems to preclude my needing a Steez as there are other reels in my arsenal (i.e., DC100) that pick up nicely where the Pixilla leaves off. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:38 pm

mhood wrote:I sure didn't mean to imply that a Pixilla would be my first choice for all LMB applications, only that a Pixilla seems to preclude my needing a Steez as there are other reels in my arsenal (i.e., DC100) that pick up nicely where the Pixilla leaves off. :D
Ditto. I was looking for:

1) a light reel that could pitch medium, light, and very light, baits into weeds and heavy cover

and,

2) gave me the option of casting 1/8 oz or lighter baits.

To me that means a Pixilla or Pixuki. From what I read on this forum and Jun's recommendations at Japan Tackle those applications are not what the Steez is best at.

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 am

what is a Pixy?
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 am

TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:24 am

wantthat2 wrote:
mhood wrote:I sure didn't mean to imply that a Pixilla would be my first choice for all LMB applications, only that a Pixilla seems to preclude my needing a Steez as there are other reels in my arsenal (i.e., DC100) that pick up nicely where the Pixilla leaves off. :D
Ditto. I was looking for:

1) a light reel that could pitch medium, light, and very light, baits into weeds and heavy cover

and,

2) gave me the option of casting 1/8 oz or lighter baits.

To me that means a Pixilla or Pixuki. From what I read on this forum and Jun's recommendations at Japan Tackle those applications are not what the Steez is best at.
Yea, but a Steez looks cooler on rods that need a black reel. ;)
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:35 am

What kind of bearings did you put in your Fuego? I've already got a TD-Z 4-bearing handle upgrade on my Fuego and it helped out a lot in the retrieve smoothness department, but I am interested in putting some upgraded bearings in it eventually. Also, what do you use your Fuego for? Just curious...I like mine for spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and pitching 3/8-1/2 oz jigs, stuff like that. It's a great reel, I like it a lot..

Justin

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:07 pm

wantthat2 wrote:
mhood wrote:
To me that means a Pixilla or Pixuki. .
You have to check out a Pixarro :lol:
Attachments
8-17 (4)_resize_resize_resize.JPG
8-17 (4)_resize_resize_resize.JPG (32.05 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:25 pm

frogpond11 wrote:What kind of bearings did you put in your Fuego? I've already got a TD-Z 4-bearing handle upgrade on my Fuego and it helped out a lot in the retrieve smoothness department, but I am interested in putting some upgraded bearings in it eventually. Also, what do you use your Fuego for? Just curious...I like mine for spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and pitching 3/8-1/2 oz jigs, stuff like that. It's a great reel, I like it a lot..
Justin
D.R. put in ABEC 5 spool bearings and upgraded the drag. At 28 IPT it's my "burner" reel.

Use: Frogs, 3/8+ oz Spinnerbaits (I use a 7'MHF rod because of the weeds in my home lake), lipless cranks, Johnson Silver Minnow., etc. anywhere I need a long cast.

Owning it has been kind of interesting:

My Pixy: love at first touch.
The Fuego: It's taken me some time. I was asking it to do things it wasn't designed for. However over time it's become a good friend of mine. :)

MAY get that 15 gram HCL spool. That should increase distance and possibly lower the weight of the Fuego's casting range. However, I do like it the way it is. I agree with you Justin, it is a great reel.