Flap Slap Review

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Flap Slap Review

Post by dampeoples » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Maybe this is the first time I've seen this in a review from you guys, but I really liked the 'third party' part of the review, offering another perspective on the item being reviewed.

If I understand it correctly, most reviews are done on baits that the staff purchases out of their own pockets, then thouroughly evaluates, and writes their findings. It seems that on this review, another editor had the same bait, but with different results. Is there any possibility that more reviews can combine a second opinion on the bait? Let the original reviewer post the facts, as well as their opinion, but just another take? I know it won't work with all products reviewed, and the opinions might even be the same, but I like all sides of the story!

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Flap Slap Review

Post by raul » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Cal is a better magician than Zander with the same wand. ;)

I really like the bait, have caught many fish with the shallow version and have outfished my buddies while they were fishing other jerkbaits, I do agree that is not a magical bait that will catch fish on every cast, but I think it present an alternative to the regular minnow shaped jerkbaits.

Besides, purchasing a couple is not going to put your wallet on fire and if they really don´t produce for you ..... you can always sell them and get most of what you paid for them. ;)

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:16 pm

I love Cal to death on here and his reviews but I have to side more with Zander on this one. I have used them a lot and have only caught 3 or 4 fish using them. Many factors play into using this lure effectively I know and I tried to use them in quite a few different situations. For me, this is just a bait from Megabass to be there and fill a niche in their arsenal maybe. It doesnt perform better then average for me. I dont know if its my location or the areas I fish, or what..

So sorry Megabass your a critical part of my arsenal but this one wont be a part of mine. These may be in the FS section soon along with a couple other baits.

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Yup, in the right conditions this lure can catch some good fish. I personally think it works better in colder seasons (when comparing to other lures). Maybe Zander should give it another try once it cools down.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:07 pm

If it works better in colder weather this lure should be killer in my area in the up coming months, ill give them another chance.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:23 am

raul wrote:Cal is a better magician than Zander with the same wand. ;)
Indeed. Especially when those are all JDM "wands" :lol:

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:27 am

iangler wrote:Yup, in the right conditions this lure can catch some good fish. I personally think it works better in colder seasons (when comparing to other lures). Maybe Zander should give it another try once it cools down.
I've fished it in cold, warm, and downright hot conditions. I don't hate the lure, but it certainly isn't one of my favorites. Lures like the Deep X and Vision are consistant performers for me, but with the Flat Slap, even with a "Cal" retrieve I feel like I have to work extra hard for th esame fish. Given teh choice I'd fish other Megabass offerings. That said when the cold water rolls around again I'm going to give it one more shot.... ;)

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:32 am

dampeoples wrote:Is there any possibility that more reviews can combine a second opinion on the bait? Let the original reviewer post the facts, as well as their opinion, but just another take? I know it won't work with all products reviewed, and the opinions might even be the same, but I like all sides of the story!
Thanks for the comments dampeoples. I think Cal and I have chimed in on each others reviews in the past. On many reviews multiple editors are actually fishing the same products, we will then compare notes, and a primary editor will write up the review. Usually the editors will agree or we will come to a consensus. In this case we agreed to disagree so we decided to let the readers know exactly where we stand. You can be sure if there is deviation in opinions you will hear about them in any reviews where multiple editors fish the product. A good example is an upcoming review where I fish the Shimano Core and Cal fishes the Metanium Mg. Stay tuned.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:39 am

How different is it from a LC Bevy Shad? cause that's another jerkbait/crankbait.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 am

Fbass wrote:How different is it from a LC Bevy Shad? cause that's another jerkbait/crankbait.
The Bevy Shad is a more consistent performer - definitely.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 am

Zander wrote:
Hardly... Zander has all the big fish honors this year on our trips. Well, all except one ;)
Zander wrote:That said when the cold water rolls around again I'm going to give it one more shot.... ;)
yah right! :^o

:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:18 am

Cal wrote:
Zander wrote:That said when the cold water rolls around again I'm going to give it one more shot.... ;)

Im suprised I dont care for these because if I recall, they have the same balancer system as the Vision 95 which is an actual hit with me for offshore fishin.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:41 pm

Zander wrote:
dampeoples wrote:Is there any possibility that more reviews can combine a second opinion on the bait? Let the original reviewer post the facts, as well as their opinion, but just another take? I know it won't work with all products reviewed, and the opinions might even be the same, but I like all sides of the story!
Thanks for the comments dampeoples. I think Cal and I have chimed in on each others reviews in the past. On many reviews multiple editors are actually fishing the same products, we will then compare notes, and a primary editor will write up the review. Usually the editors will agree or we will come to a consensus. In this case we agreed to disagree so we decided to let the readers know exactly where we stand. You can be sure if there is deviation in opinions you will hear about them in any reviews where multiple editors fish the product. A good example is an upcoming review where I fish the Shimano Core and Cal fishes the Metanium Mg. Stay tuned.
Thanks! I never really thought about it before, but I suppose if you all agree, then there is no reason to chime in at all, other than to create more work. Toiling, labourous, work that it is, fishing :)

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Cal wrote:
Zander wrote:
Hardly... Zander has all the big fish honors this year on our trips. Well, all except one ;)

You know me way too well.... :lol: