Megabass blank supply problem

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass blank supply problem

Post by Wachtel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:55 am

I e-mailed PLAT about purchasing a MB Mephisto but the information I got back was that MB had problems with the supply of blanks. Anybody else who have heard this for other rods in their line?

Should have ordered it earlier :evil:

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass blank supply problem

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:14 am

Wachtel wrote:I e-mailed PLAT about purchasing a MB Mephisto but the information I got back was that MB had problems with the supply of blanks. Anybody else who have heard this for other rods in their line?

Should have ordered it earlier :evil:
There is a shortage of carbon , and this has affected quite a few makers. It is not just Megabass. So it does not surprise me. It looks like Deps is feeling it too. I am just guessing it might delay the release of some new EG, and GC rods.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:56 am

It's just so infuriating to finally pull the trigger just to hear the dull thud of a misfire ... :(

I'll buy a couple of reels to ease the pain :D

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:07 am

Wachtel wrote:I'll buy a couple of reels to ease the pain :D
If you choose(when browsing japanese e-shops) a jdm reel marked with letters MG,make sure that there is enough magnesium to build that reel :lol: that was a joke :lol: Why do they have problems with carbon? :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a shock
http://www.youtube.com/user/zvejyslt

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Wachtel wrote:
I'll buy a couple of reels to ease the pain :D
That´s what I would do if I were you.

wheezer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wheezer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:16 pm

carbon supply is a world wide issue, i work in an industry where composites are used to build boards, and we have been affected by it too. basically the airline manufacturers like boeing and airbus are taking all the carbon to use in new aircraft to make them lighter/more fuel efficient, so it is getting harder/more expensive to get carbon laminates

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:56 pm

the war is consuming it to. The shortage will last a long time.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Yes...and the military's appetite for Boron is even worse.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 pm

dragon1 wrote:Yes...and the military's appetite for Boron is even worse.
no doubt.. there are a few boron rods I want that are 6 months out min. at this point.

One thing too, has everybody noticed the price increases for JDM rods since 2005, or has that been overlooked because of the weak yen. The 5% hike just last month for a lot of makers. It is partly driven by these shortages.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:52 pm

GamblerHydra wrote: The 5% hike just last month for a lot of makers. It is partly driven by these shortages.
Yesterday I visited tiemco.jp webpage,and wanted to see their Fenwick rods,but there was only a message where they mentioned that 5% growth of prices :|
http://www.youtube.com/user/zvejyslt

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:37 pm

I would love to see more Boron in USDM rods...this material has so much more to go for advancement. Although the JDM manufacturers are farther along in experimenting with it vs US manufacturers.

BASSFIEND
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BASSFIEND » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:46 pm

We need those F-22 Raptors(1/3 of aircraft made of carbon fiber composites)to police the world. :roll:

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 am

GamblerHydra wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Yes...and the military's appetite for Boron is even worse.
no doubt.. there are a few boron rods I want that are 6 months out min. at this point.

One thing too, has everybody noticed the price increases for JDM rods since 2005, or has that been overlooked because of the weak yen. The 5% hike just last month for a lot of makers. It is partly driven by these shortages.

Gambler.
I don't why you, or any body else that tracks the market, is surprised by this. Look what steel did two years ago.
5% is not that big of a deal. Construction materials went up 10% per quarter in 04 through 06 and are only now starting to fall due to a slowing market.
The Gov. is still gobbling up composite materials due to the war. When and if it ends we'll be buying boron(and other) rods for 1/2 of what their going for now.
It's a trend. It'll end.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 am

tonym wrote: Gambler.
I don't why you, or any body else that tracks the market, is surprised by this. Look what steel did two years ago.
5% is not that big of a deal. Construction materials went up 10% per quarter in 04 through 06 and are only now starting to fall due to a slowing market.
The Gov. is still gobbling up composite materials due to the war. When and if it ends we'll be buying boron(and other) rods for 1/2 of what their going for now.
It's a trend. It'll end.
I never said I was surprised, but merely asking a question. You answer my question though, without directly answering it.

I asked if everybody noticed the price increases for JDM since 2005, or has that been overlooked because of the weak yen. Then give a recent publized price increase event . You respond 5% is not a big deal. That tells me that you never saw every other price increase in the last 3 years. Most of this has gone undetected, and I am guessing because the yen has been beaten down.

Now to the japan anglers credit they never pay full retail , and never pay over full retail like we do. However, I bet money they are still feeling it.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:42 am

GamblerHydra wrote: Now to the japan anglers credit they never pay full retail , and never pay over full retail like we do. However, I bet money they are still feeling it.
Oh no doubt. It's global for sure, but I think due to importation we feel it the most here in the US. China being the least affected.
I hope I didn't offend you with my above statement. I meant it as a compliment actually. I know that you of most people here track the market pretty tightly. ;)
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com