The Chronology and Evolution of MB 110s

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dhuie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The Chronology and Evolution of MB 110s

Post by dhuie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

The MB Vision 110, I believe is one of the more, if not, THE most popular Lure from MB. Outside of it's legendary fish catching prowess, it has caused frustration (finding) and sometimes insolvency or windfall in dealing with them (Look at some of the prices on Ebay and you'll get the picture).

The 110 has been a favorite of mine since they were first introduced in the Fall of 2000 (though they were not readily available till Jan 2001 - and then in limited numbers and colors with vendors charging up to $34.99 each.

Here's my attempt to highlight the subtle changes and evolution of the 110 from 2000 to its current form - colors are not included as there are too many of them. There may be errors, so please chime in with updated infomation. Also, as in anything MB there may some differences for the Japan market. Here goes:

2000: The (fresh water) 110s comes in a Blister Pack and is marketed as "Vision One Ten" n "American Power Jerkbait". Round lipped. 3 outbarbed Katsuage Hooks. Dated and Labeled on the top of the Lure. The Bait's colors are in Japanese (kanji).

2001: Colors are now in english. No change for the Fresh water version. The SW version (blister pack packaging) is introduced as "Vision Oneten Salt-Water Limited" - Internally tungsten is used for the balancing system. Externally: Dating and Labelling is on the baits' belly. Round Lipped. 3 permasteel Katsuage hooks BUT only the Center Hook is Outbarbed.

2002: The fresh water 110 is initially unchanged but later (or is it for the Japan market) it comes in a hard plastic box with flip top lid and marketed "with sixth sense" - dropping the "American Power Jerk Bait" designation. The date and Label moves down to the Belly for the boxed baits but for the blister pack ones it remains on top.
SW version: The introduction of the SQUARE LIP - all else remains the same. We can seperately discuss the performance of the square lip vs the round. Personally, I prefer the round lip as I can "sense" the bait better because I can feel a slightly greater resistence thru the water.

2003: Fresh; No more Blister pack packaging (I do not see any, but am I correct? I was in the midst of the move to Aust so purchases were less). It seems that all the baits now comes in a Box.
SW 110: No change.

2004 - 2005; same as 2003. NO visable change for both the fresh and SW versions.

2006-now: Fresh; Introduction of the "Eye Down" for some re-introduced colors and others, although there are some baits with straight looking eyes. MB STOPS DATING all their baits only labeling them on the belly.
SW: "Irridescent" eyes are introduced for later verions ('07) can't tell because they dont #@&% date them now. No "eye down" for SW versions seen.

Thats All I got for now, if anyone has anything to add please chime in.

Cheers
"What!!??...How Much!!??...But I Only Want One!!!"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Chronology and Evolution of MB 110s

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Just starting buying and used a 110 first time today...noticed that the date switched from top of lure to belly. What I really don't know is whether the action and effectiveness of the lures through its progession has changed or not? :|

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 am

The material used for the internal balancing system have changed affecting the rise of the bait in 06. You can do a search on here, and some pictures of this.

Also the tolerances it was built to seem to be off, or maybe it is just the dimensions of the balancing system cavity, or balls. I have seen, and heard of quite a few people getting that ball stuck in the tail end of the chamber. I have never seen, or experienced that with baits prior to 06.

It would not surrpise me if they are being bult in China now. They had to outsource to increase volume like they did.

khingfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by khingfish » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:33 am

The older Pro Blues and Perch colors are more vivid. I prefer the old eye version to the eyes down as they have a little different action/rise. The eyes down catch fish too though. The 110 freshwater are my favorite MB bait. I have tried the DeepX 200T a fair amout , but havent caught anything on them yet.

FYI, For anyone that doesnt already know:
Dont store your JDM baits outdoors in the summer. Japanese lure makers use a thinner plastic than US makers. In the heat the baits will be damaged. I found this out the hard way with several 110's that had the balancers sticking in the tail, middle and/or front of the bait. Also the small brass colored shots migrated to other parts of the bait they were not designed to do. The heat made the plastic move around.
Mr M at Megabass USA replaced my baits but it was my fault as I didnt know better. I have since drilled vent holes in all my hard bait boxes and bring them inside after a day of fishing.

NW Fisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NW Fisher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23 am

khingfish wrote: FYI, For anyone that doesnt already know:
Dont store your JDM baits outdoors in the summer. Japanese lure makers use a thinner plastic than US makers. In the heat the baits will be damaged. I found this out the hard way with several 110's that had the balancers sticking in the tail, middle and/or front of the bait. Also the small brass colored shots migrated to other parts of the bait they were not designed to do. The heat made the plastic move around.
I found out the hard way as well. I had them sitting in the top part of my tackle box with the smoke colored see through plastic flap. I noticed my Deadly Black 110 not diving at all. I looked at it and it seemed some how off. When I got home I compared the new one with the used one and it had totally warped. I have since moved them to a more protected area inside and out of the sun part of my tackle box.

Jake

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:39 pm

I think they did not always use that cheap plastic... remember the baits was originally developed and billed for the US . I ahev never seen a issue with the older year model baits. A matter of fact it was just that last huge production run they did.

Food for thought, the first pro blue I saw with a balancer stuck happened straight from the package and fished one a day with temps no greater than 55 degrees. I think there are other issues at play, and the heat just exponents it. It could also be 2 separate issues, but the same result. then again mine might of shipped that way from the factory. :shock: