Super Pixy vs. Steez 103

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Super Pixy vs. Steez 103

Post by bundy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:47 am

Any thoughts on which is better for casting 3/8 oz. or less??? Upgrading a Pixy is close to the cost of a new Steez.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Super Pixy vs. Steez 103

Post by backcast » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:43 am

I have a close to stock yellow Pixy - has TD-Z handle and zpi spool bearings. Also have 2 Steez. Both models are exceptional. Above true 1/4 oz (true = total weight of the lure) the Steez is the clear choice for me. I think it casts equal / better than the Pixy at these weights and as weight goes up it becomes better. The Steez is a much stronger feeling reel, at the same or less weight of reel.

If you will be below 1/4 oz a lot or most of the time and especially if you plan to go much below that weight the Pixy becomes more competitive. Also with the drag modification, done properly, the Pixy would be a closer match.

Ergonomically the 2 "feel" different. Early on I liked the Pixy better, but now I like the Steez equally. Both compact and comfortable, just in different ways.

Tough choice... take comfort in knowing you can't mess up too bad either way.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:36 am

bundy wrote:Any thoughts on which is better for casting 3/8 oz. or less??? Upgrading a Pixy is close to the cost of a new Steez.
I'm a proud owner of 2x D.R. tuned Pixzillas. Initially, i thought why didn't i get a steez instead? Pixy and Steez are are two different animals. like what backcast said, for light lures, the pixy is the choice or vice versa. Depending on what you throw and what rod and line you use, i'd say that the pixy is the reel that would handle lures of 1/8OZ and below well. The 1/8OZ to 1/4OZ mark is the weight that both the Pixy and Steez would handle well, depending on what line and rod you use and what lures you throw. for anything above 1/4OZ the Steez should be the choice. This should be a hard choice to make considering the pixy is a more specialized reel, and that the Steez is more of an all rounder. That's just my opinion and my take. just to give you the sort of idea how i use my two pixzillas, one is spooled with 10lb power pro braid for throwing anything from light spinnerbaits, crankbaits, minnows, light wacky and t-rigs or anything that's below 1/8OZ. the other is spooled with 20lb Power Pro braid for pitching 1/4OZ to 3/8OZ jigs.
Last edited by Fishingboy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:40 am

Thanks for the responses! I generally throw 3/16- 1/4 oz. baits. It almost seems like a toss up. What about relative quality Pixy vs. Steez?

NW Fisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NW Fisher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 am

I have several pixies and one Steez. I love the pixies for their feel. The Steez feels different but still very good. If it matters to you the Steez has a drag that clicks, where as the pixy does not. This can certainly have its advantages. If that is important, then go with the Steez.

Jake

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Steez quality, components, features overall are superior to the Pixy...as it should be for the price.

For 3/16-1/4oz most of the time though, an upgraded Pixy will serve you better.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:56 am

I have owned both and worked on a few :lol: . The pixy is my choice between the two.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:05 am

D.R.,
Sounds like you're a poet and don't knowit! :D

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 am

:big grin:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:34 pm

:clown:

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:19 am

I've got 4 of each,
... and am quiet pleased,
But if I could only choose 1,
... I'd make it a Steez. :clown:

The secret to the Steez is to use the correct rod when casting down to 1/8 oz (total weight), and correct balance between spool tension and braking. Rods that don't load properly in the 1/8 to 1/4 oz range are easy to overpower during a cast and you'll get in trouble if you give the rod that little extra 'oomph' while trying to eek' a few extra feet during the cast. [Overruns and poor accuracy may result.] So selecting the right rod is key. Upgrading spool bearings to Abec 7 ceramic hybrids also helps.

I've had good results with my custom 782GLX at 1/8 oz, with aerodynamic lures like mepps, cicadas, spoons, etc. At 3/16 oz total weight, the rod and aerodynamics of the lure is not nearly as critical, and performance is about the same as my alphas itos. My BCR802GLX and 782GLX work very well at 3/16 oz total weight (pop-rs, small cranks, etc.). So to put things in perspective, a 1/8 oz jighead with a 4" worm or grub weighs a lot more than 1/8 oz total weight, and isn't a problem with either of these rods for me.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 am

ChuckE, You make a lot of sense. I have to agree on rod choice for the light stuff. My go to combo is a Daiwa Custom on a Rogue MB663C. This is pretty close to the Steez and is probably a little more versatile than a modded Pixy. I've never used a Pixy, so I am relying on info from TT guys.