my new alphas ito ai not so new

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kevin19870316
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

my new alphas ito ai not so new

Post by kevin19870316 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:40 am

i have just received my alphas ito ai but a few problems arise

1, when i crank the handle, there's some sound, not as quiet as i thought

2, spool movement when the handle's unmoved

3, a small but true internal crack in the sideplate( donno if it's gonna affact longterm durability, but apparently the reel's been broken down once or twice)

will these be a major concern of quality?

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: my new alphas ito ai not so new

Post by ShoreBound » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:51 am

What's the sound that it makes when you crank it? Maybe it's coming from dry spool bearings? (Easily remedied by oiling the spool bearings.)

Try tightening the drag and the spool tension to see if you can get rid of the spool movement.

As for the crack, it just shouldn't have it if it's really new. If you can, return it for replacement or refund, bro. If you can't, just use it I guess and see if maybe you can acquire a replacement sideplate.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 am

Kevin wrote:
i have just received my alphas ito ai but a few problems arise

1, when i crank the handle, there's some sound, not as quiet as i thought
It seems that alphas ito either come totally over lubed or totally under lubed from the factory, based on the 6 that my partners and I have. In addition, if it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time, it may need the lube re-dispersed or re-lubricated. All of our alphas itos are fairly quite while cranking and smooth, but most came so overlubed that the oil from the grease was dripping out of the reel. The last 2 we got were so underlubed that it was easily noticed.
2, spool movement when the handle's unmoved
There will be some slight movement in the spool when the reel is engaged, since the spool pin engages with the pinion gear in a groove that has some extra clearance. I'd estimate maybe 1/8 to 1/4" at most, in the amount of travel, as measured on the outside of the spool.

However, if the reel has not reengaged properly, you may get more. Disengage the spool with the thumb bar, hold the spool and crank the handle to reengage the reel to see if this helps. Again, the condition of the lube on the pinion gear surface, and in the pinion bearings can affect the way the reel reengages.
3, a small but true internal crack in the sideplate( donno if it's gonna affact longterm durability, but apparently the reel's been broken down once or twice)
This is my biggest concern, since it is darn near impossible to get a new clear lexan palm plate. I think I'd send the reel back because of this. The side plate is quite durable and to have it cracked possibly implies the reel box was dropped during shipping onto a hard surface, causing the reel to impact the inside of the box at that time (and without any significant damage to the box it was shipped in). The other possibility is if the crack is in the area affected by the tightening of the screw in the center of the magforce adjustment knob. If the screw gets extremely overtightened it can crack the side plate, and could eventually cause the retainer that keeps the screw in place, to completely crack and fail.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by xxlbass » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:04 pm

where did you buy it from?

kevin19870316
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kevin19870316 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:58 pm

the first two problem's solved.....my lack of knowledge :(

the crack is about 2mm long and it happens where the main screw connect the sideplate. i think i just need to get a new sideplate if i can. don't wanna bother sending it back to japan. ( ICHIBAN TACKLE)

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:03 pm

Heed the advice and return / replace it while you can, Like what has been said here, It wont be easy locating spare parts. The crack might grow with stress as your using it. Good luck..

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Based on the issue with the crack, I would also suggest looking into returning it for a replacement. Let us know what type of response you receive from Ichiban Tackle. Good Luck!

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm

As others have stated with regard to the cracked plastic...I would WITHOUT A DOUBT return it for an exchange.<PERIOD!!.....at least the side plate anyway....you could use the reel until the sideplate was replaced....just remember....no knock on Daiwa...if man makes it there WILL be a rogue problem or two..simple as that!

I thought the side plate was manufactured from Lexan. Lexan is the trade name for Polycarbonate....the stuff bank windows are made from.....bullet proof that is, (although not all Polycarbonate is rated the same).

kevin19870316
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kevin19870316 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 pm

i have decided to return it to Ichiban, they r kind enough to pay for the postage and give me refund as soon as they received the reel

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:44 pm

Now that's good customer service. :)

xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by xxlbass » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:13 pm

I had the same thing happen to me with Ichiban tackle and that is why I asked where you purchased the reel from in my previous thread. In my case I ate it and will probably not be doing business with them for a long time. Customer service would not have sent you that reel in the first place??????

I purchased two Deps ZDV's from them the first one was perfect and a few weeks later they somehow managed to find me a second one in which I appreciated very much and when I received it upon inspection I noticed fine scratches in one direction on the removable sideplate. Now on the first ZDV I received there is no fine scratches on the sideplate. Now they claim that since the ZDV is buffed by hand that was result of the fine pattern of scratches on the sideplate . The reel is excellent otherwise and I can live with it, but I'm not so sure that Daiwa would even buff the ZDV with the sideplate on????? Anyone else receive a ZDV with fine scratches on the sideplate??? Anyway I love both my ZDV's and I just thought that this is not a coincidence and how we can help other TT members make decisions based on unpleasant experiences. I will mention that Ichiban would agree to refund me full amount, but I would have to pay the shipping cost. I figured that since my zdv is rare and otherwise perfect I will keep and put it to use.

kevin19870316
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kevin19870316 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:30 pm

now it;s pretty clear Ichiban doed have some nasty products.

what i found out, was that the series number on the sideplate of my ito was the same as one shown in their second hand reels. :evil:

well, i don't think i'll deal with them anymore before their reputation builds up again. now i am tossing between an alphas ito and a red pixy. XXXLBASS, check ur email

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:31 am

Second hand, advertised as new? :shock: That would be enough for me to never deal with them again.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:55 am

Regarding the issues of substandard aesthetics, from a previous post regarding the limited edition 2004 yellow pixy, some sellers are selling "reconditioned" reels labled as "new". according to the post (posted sometime ago) these are used reels but in very good mechanical and aesthetical condition, cleaned to look and feel like new. it could somewhat be obvious, for a reel that first came out back in 2004 to have it listed as new might be to good to be true. same goes for the Alphas Ito and possibly some TD-Z models (TD-ito, TD-Ize colors, Type R and R+, etc...).

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:52 am

If it's the Alphas Ito that they recently had available, then it WAS advertised in the second hand reel section. I know because I started to get it, and someone beat me to it. I had a feeling it was somebody from here.