Antares - Calais DC noise

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Antares - Calais DC noise

Post by SCSS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:02 am

I just received my Antares DC7 LV yesterday and noticed a very, very light "ticking" (for lack of a better word) coming from the hatch side of the reel when cranking, you almost have to have your ear on the sideplate to hear it. the spool spins forever and I feel no feedback through the handle when turning. is this normal for these reels?

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Antares - Calais DC noise

Post by quickF4i » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 am

inoticed on a lot of shimano baitcast reels that if you are free-reeling it with either an empty spool, or a spool full of line but under no load, you will hear a light ticking noise which i have figured out to be the pinion gear contacting spool shaft pin.. i dont thinks its really a problem and it (should) go away when you are actually fishing.

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:10 am

quickF41, I have 7 other Shimano low profile reels. curado's, chronarch's, speedmaster's, antares and calais and I have not heard this in any of the others. is there a "fix" for this?

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:29 am

I had the same ticking noise with my Calcutta 100DC.

The bearing clip on the electronic side was not seated properly. One side of it was sticking up and hitting the spool. If that is your problem, use a chop stick or any other small diameter wood to snap the clip in place. Do not use a screwdriver as you may cause damage.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:42 am

Thanks D.R. I'll try that my next day off.