Is Daiwa still making new Pixies?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is Daiwa still making new Pixies?

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:07 am

So there is the '03 Limited Edition Orange Pixy and the '04 Limited Edition Yellow that I believe, because they are 'limited edition', aren't being made anymore. There is also the '05 Red one, of course. How about the Silver? What year did it first come out? And is Daiwa still making the red and silver ones that's why there is still a supply of NIBs?

This Pixy is making me lose sleep. So many questions. Like which one is better: yellow, orange (scratch this one out - no lefty), silver or red... I haven't even decided to buy one, yet. Or have I? :oops:

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is Daiwa still making new Pixies?

Post by reelblues » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:25 am

Dude, you HAVE decided to get one. Go ahead, but tread carefully. The Pixy is the Devil in discuise. Make a firm limit on how many you will buy and stick with it! Pixyitis can consume you in a hurry. So I have heard. ;)
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:26 am

For what I know the silver one is a mainstrean reel thus, in production until discontinued.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 am

reelblues, I've had Cal giving little nudges towards the dark side before but I've so far been able to resist but my strength against the force has been slowly ebbing :D

Raul, that may explain why the silver is usually sold for less than the other models.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am

Get you a Red unless you plan on beefing it up...then any color will do. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:58 am

I might leave it stock. The handle on the non-reds doesn't bother me because it looks the same as my TD Sol. The stock drag is also okay because I don't lock down my reel drags, anyway. Although if I am to have a reel supertuned, the Pixy would be it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 am

All models perform he same out of the box. The silver is the standard production model.

The drag upgrade isn't important so much for overall stopping power, but for consistency. I didn't have a problem with any of the 6 or so yellow pixies I went through until I purchased a red. My red one came lubed with excess oil. The oil made its way into the drag stack and man, was it terrible as a result. So I went through the drag upgrade and liked the consistency so much, I went through and changed my other, remaining pixy reels.

Then of course, while you have the reel apart, the line guide upgrade is just a natural ;) as is the support bearing.. and .. .well, you get the idea ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:36 am

Now Cal is not just nudging. He's shoving me :lol:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:44 am

Yeah, it´s the danged never ending story, get a 300 dollars reel then spend 200 more in upgrades and you could have purchased a better reel right from the start.

Steez or PIXILLA ?

That is the question.

I like my reels stock, perhaps the only one I would upgrade if I ever get one would be a Sol, handle upgrade for TDZ handle but that´s just about it.

Spooled 6 lb Trilene XT into that 3rd red one I got, went for a "quikie" Saturday evening and ......... OMG ! had a blast catsing itsy bitsy 1/16 oz shakey heads; prepared meself for Sunday feechin and had to cancel, it rained all day long. :evil:

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:45 am

I think the Red has a slightly lighter spool and a slightly better handle. All of the Pixy handles will have two knob bearings IIRC and I think a Pixy handle is smoother than the interchangeable Sol handle that lacks bearings.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm leaning towards the silver. If I'm going to upgrade I'll do the line guide, drag and spool bearings in installments but probably will leave the handle alone. Thanks for the responses guys.

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 am

I'm hoping Daiwa comes out with a 6.3 gear ratio Pixy!

airfob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by airfob » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 am

The real question is whether or not you plan on upgrading the reel. The stock Pixy feels like a plastic toy until you send it to DR. In my opinion the upgrades are a MUST if you plan on doing any serious fishing with them.

Good luck with what you decide on, they are great reels once you get them back from DR.