Zillion 100H HCL

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
water
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Zillion 100H HCL

Post by water » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:43 am

Any idea if this reel is saltwater safe?

What is the sweet spot of the reel with regards to lure weight?
Does it cope well with lures from 1/4 - 1 oz?

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 am

I don't own the reel but I know that its in the saltwater lineup in the Japan Daiwa site together withe the Zillion PE Special.
Also it features all CRBB.
Regarding the cast-abilities, I have two HLC spools and what I can say is that they are meant to cast far away so they don't work so well in pitching or in any application that implies slow spool rotation.
Nevertheless it casts 3/8oz lures well and maybe even smaller if they are fairly dense. :-k
The smaller thing I have tried was this:
http://www.t-hamada.com/wiggler.htm

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:Regarding the cast-abilities, I have two HLC spools and what I can say is that they are meant to cast far away so they don't work so well in pitching or in any application that implies slow spool rotation.
So, if i wanted to improve the pitching capabilities of my zillions, I would be better off getting a tdz 100 spool?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:20 am

I don't have a TDZ 100 spool so I can't help.
On the other side, you can go to the dark side and start to change the spool's inductor spring with a softer one. :-k
Just kidding, better just go with a normal zillion spool.

PS: I'm testing a PE long cast spool for pitching but still unable to give a verdict. :whistle:

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 am

Yes, I think the 100M spool would be a better pitching spool for the Zillion.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

blakjack23 wrote:Yes, I think the 100M spool would be a better pitching spool for the Zillion.
x2 Hard to control when casting tho...at least it was for me. Some other users don't seem to have that issue...some do.

However, I've found the HLC spool is no slouch for pitching, but I pitch with all the brakes off. I was testing out a Fuego with the dimpled HLC spool (thanks Blakjack!) and it casts a 1/4 oz bait wonderfully. Anything bigger is launched like a cannon. I can also pitch the 1/4 oz weight better than a stock Zillion/Fuego spool. Better start up with less backlash. For all around great performance, I like an HLC of some type. For insane pitching with harder to control casting, I like the 100M spool. Depends on what you want.