My Certate and Luvias have arrived

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

My Certate and Luvias have arrived

Post by aquaholik » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:13 pm

Another tackle junkie joining the forum :twisted: .

Man that was quick. Order placed on 2/3 and it's now in my hand. Jun of Japan Tackle ships faster than Cabelas :D .

First impression is the Certate 2500 blows away the Luvias 3000. They must have a lot of lefty in Japan since all the reels arrived right hand retrieve. One minus about the Certate 2500, I wish the spool was taller. Comparing it to my older Emblem-x 1500, the Emblem-x has a taller size even though it's a smaller reel. I'm a big fan of the wobbly Daiwa Whisker SS series and still use the Daiwa SS 1300 every day. Nothing beats it in term of light weight, long cast and trouble free braided line handling(I use 10lb test/2lb daimeter braid most of the time).

The Certate and Luvias belongs in the showcase but it will definitely see some action on the flats and plenty of Pompano this Spring.

I wish I had never found this site. I'm a baitcaster guy most of the time but its tough to cast small weightless jerkbait into the wind and get good distance with those spooky redfish. Scorpion 1000, TD-Z, Calais, TDA advantage, Millionaire CVZ, TDX, TDS, Chronarch, Pen 525Mag, a couple of Saltiga, man, when does it end :evil: .

The hardest part about living in the State of Florida is deciding where to go and what fish to target since the choices are many and none is ever rarely productive. Now I have to decide what setup to bring too :D .

Ben R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My Certate and Luvias have arrived

Post by Ben R » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:18 pm

Congradulation on your purchases and welcome to forum. The Certate sure look like a beauty, I wonder why the U.S. version isn't as beautiful? Oh well we alway get the water down products.(maybe I answered my own question?)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Aquaholik, Welcome to the forum! That's a nice stable of reels you have there!

Ben R wrote:Congradulation on your purchases and welcome to forum. The Certate sure look like a beauty, I wonder why the U.S. version isn't as beautiful? Oh well we alway get the water down products.(maybe I answered my own question?)
Ben,

We saw the US Certate at some of the local shows and it is the same reel as the Japanese market Certate's. I'm not sure why the one in the Cabela's catalog looks off, but the ones in at the recent sport shows were identical to the one I purchased from Japan.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Ben R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ben R » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Ah...thanx for clearing that up Cal. Yeah you are right the Cabelas catalogue doesn't do the Certate justice.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:55 pm

The sad part is that I have more places to fish/explore both inshore/offshore, more friends with boats(inshore/offshore) bugging me to go with them, than I have time. Fishing time has drop faster than the Nasdaq did since the birth of my 2 year old boy. Instead of fishing 5 times a week 3 hours a day before work, I'm lucky now if I can get out 4 times a month. I'm complaining but I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything in the world. It's a great experience.

I think I catch more fish living in San Diego 18 years ago with my Daiwa PMA 10-S and my Shimano Bantam Fighting rod than I do now with my TDZ and Loomis rod because of the simple fact that I spent more time on the water back then and less time drooling over new reels/technology.

Don't get me wrong, the fishing in FLorida is absolutely fantastic year round and if you were from California like me, it's like being reborn in fishing heaven :D .

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:01 pm

[shadow=darkgreen][font=Trebuchet MS]
 aquaholik, 

Welcome to the TackleTour forum! 
[/font][/shadow]
:hugs:

[font=Trebuchet MS]As JIP remarked, that is definitely quite a collection of reels you've got there. Being in Florida, I see where you could really rack up the tackle if you pursue both fresh and saltwater fish.

What rods have you matched those reels up with ?[/font]

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:43 pm

For baitcasting on the flats, I have 2 CBR Loomis to match the lighter weight TDZ and Scorpion, 2 IMX for jiggin, and one GL3 7.5ft for long distance topwater. For going after kingfish, a slightly heavier rod for the Millionaire.

For Spinning, several St Croix Avid, Premiere and some Hurricane redbone and some Daiwal Coastal inshore in 7.5 length and light action for throwing weedless jerkbait rig.

For offshore...Saltiga SA40 with 50lb braid and SA50 with 60lb Momoi, plus some Sealine 350-600H for snappers and Amberjack/Grouper plus some baitrunner for Kingfish.

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 pm

I live in Australia and just recently the Certates were released here. I just purchased a 2500R Custom. Its the same as the standard 2500 except that it has a machined handle, the body is that of the 3000 model, the spool is the standard 2500 size. It is just so smooth, man I love it!!!!

The Daiwa Alphas has also just been released, that purple finish is awesome. Couldn't help myself, I've ordered one of those as well. Up until now I have always been a Shimano man. I still love my Calais, Chronarchs and Calcuttas though.

Aaron

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:40 pm

I just spooled the Certate 2500 with 10lb Spiderwire Stealth and the Luvias 3000 with 20lb test Power Pro. It is kind of ironic since the drag on the Certate feels very impressive. I added an extra white fiber washer to the Luvias since I'm not a believer in reverse taper spool design. So now the line lay flats like a Shimano Stradic instead of reverse taper. I compare the Luvias 3000 to the Stradic 4000 and it's a very close match in terms of spool height but at a significant 5oz less weight. So I'm very happy with the Luvias and it will get the dock fishing duty since it balances out very nicely with a Hurricane Redbone 7ft MH rod.

Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Hi aquaholik,

Welcome to the forum. I live in Orlando and know exactly how you feel. Although you are closer to the water :lol: :lol: ... I have a Certate 2500 and a luvias 2500 they are both amaizing but I love my Certate. It works wonder on snook, reds, caught a 15 lb jack on it the other day no prob. I have tried to hook up with some pompano this year but no go on the east side of the state. The weather gods have not helped either. And neither has my one year old daughter who is absolutely awsome. :D

For baitcaster I have always used Shimano, I have a Antares ARB and two scorpions... but I actually killed my one scorpion in Luisianna last year, caught over 40 reds in one day... never got around to sending it in, it makes a noise like a click on retrieve. What I really want to get it an Alphas. I think it would work great on the flats. the new chronarch mg 50 I got is a way too light on the drag for my taste. I think the Alphas is stronger from what I understand? Do you really use a millionaire CV-Z for kingfish? its a little light no?

Welcome and tight lines...
DrAngler

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:03 am

I like the Certate so much I decided to order the 4000 size also. Hopefully I can test it out on some small beach or bridge Tarpon this summer.

Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:44 am

I wish they made it a 4500 size so you could get more line capacity for the body size. Its the same size body I believe. I talked to a seller on ebay from japan, and he completely ragged on the certate claiming it was a piece of junk, made like the cheaper capricorn and laguna. Well I think those are good reels, not junk, but the Certate feels a lot lighter, stronger gears and no comparison on the drag... Let me know how the 4000 works out. Trying to decide between that and a saltiga 4500?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:24 pm

Let me know how the 4000 works out. Trying to decide between that and a saltiga 4500?
You know I thought the exact same thing but I missed the Bass Pro Shop reel trade in last month or else I would have gotten the Saltiga 4500 for around $600. The Certate feels like a tank without the weight. There's a feeling of the reel being one piece with absolute tight tolerance. I thought about the TDA 4500 size but I said what the heck, get the reel that I will be happy with. The Certate 4000 will be paired with a Cape Fear 7ft MH Cape Fear Advantech rod for dock snook and beach Tarpon.

How often do you travel down to Tampa/St. Pete, the Pompano should be around Honeymoon Island soon. I plan to fish for them in the pass from a Hobie Outback kayak this Spring/Summer while waiting for Tarpons to show up. I just added another small lightweight kayak for those short trip around Gandy. Right now my 2 year old is going to Disney World alot since we got the annual pass.

Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:12 pm

That sounds like an awsome set up for the Certate 4000. I know what you mean about the sale. I was in a medical conference in LA when the sale was going on. Missed out big. Please, Please :D let me know how that cape fear works out. I have been very intrigued by their design but so far have been to chicken to switch over from my loomis.

As for fishing I got every weekend off so I can go whenever to tampa. I got a buddy over in Crystal River I visit often. I just dont really know where to fish in Tampa so have not been there too often. If you ever need someone to fish with let me know. I am always up for new places. I can show you some spots here on the east coast. I have bean looking at the Tarpon 120 kayak for kayak fishing. Think I might get it in a few weeks. What do you think of it?

One last question. DO you think the Certate 4000 with braid would be strong enough to fish Kings and Dolphin or for some smaller snapper offshore>?

my email is anglerdr@yahoo.com

Keep Fishing.... Tight Lines
Drangler

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:00 pm

The Cape Fear I have is the ADV170-70s. Why anyone would use this rod in the flats/open water is beyond me. It is heavier than the longest and heaviest Loomis flats rod. It cast most lure god awful when compared to a properly matched flats outfit. Any line of St. Croix in comparable action is lighter and cast better. Having said that, I don't think Cape Fear compare/compete with Loomis or St. Croix. It complements my collection because it is built to take abuse around bridges and docks( I know so is the Ugly Stick). You could fish braided line on a lock down reel around structures and not worry about snapping the rod. It certainly has it's application that is completely different than my other outfit.

If you are looking to switch your ML-Medium action Loomis, forget it. You will be dissapointed. The Cape Fear is strong but it is not light in the hand, even in the lighter action.

The Pompano fishing in Tampa/St. Pete is good 9 months out of the year. When it's really cold, you can't beat fishing for big trout at Fort DeSoto.

I don't think you will be dissapointed in the Tarpon 120. It's a nice compromise in weight and speed. Personally I have the Hobie Outback pedal kayak and a Heritage featherlite(37lb) for short trip near the house. The Hobie is great for longer range trip and when I need more stability.

I would think the Certate 4000 should hold plenty of 30-40lb braid. 50 lb test is doable but that might stretch it a bit. It claims a drag of around 18lb which is unheard of in a spinning reel that size. But no way would I have the drag set at more than 10lb for extended fight. With 30lb braid, it should have the capacity to handle the biggest king(light drag with braid anyway) and dolphin pretty easily.

Wait until April and May if you want to fish the bridges for Pompano. It can get very thick.