Differences in Alphas reels

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Differences in Alphas reels

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm

rumrunner wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:
rumrunner wrote: so you're saying the 103 has the "factory tuning" that the type f has?
The Type F is not "tuned". Neither is the 103. The R-Edition is tho.
I have read the f meant factory tuned.And i can see that mine has been polished internally, compared to my sol.i got it used from japan, so i can't garuntee it was factory done, but it sure looked professionally done.the polish ends in a squared off manner, for example instead of haphazardly like somebody did it with sand paper or a dremel.
Type "F" means Freshwater...IOW don't use it in salt unlike a 103. The Type F is .2 oz lighter than the 103, but I'm pretty sure the polishing is aftermarket.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:17 am

Alpha 103 should be a all round reel having all or at least the most of the bearings of CRBB type.

Alphas type F is the Fresh water version of the 103. No CRBB.

Alphas Type R has 4 CRBB and 5 normal bearings, carbon handle with cork knobs, special light spool (15.31g) and aluminium main gear.

Alphas 150 is a power version with all CRBB bearings and higher line capacity.

Alphas Finesse Custom. 6+1 Bearings no CRBB and ultra duralumin spool.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:40 am

overdose wrote:
raul wrote:There is no R-Edition spool, the R-Edition has an I´ze spool.
sorry raul... i said r-edition spool cause it comes with the r-edition :big grin: and yes, love the alphas/sol plateform 8-)
So, are you going to get the Zonda ?

Man, I´m tempted. 8-[

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:56 pm

raul wrote:
overdose wrote:
raul wrote:There is no R-Edition spool, the R-Edition has an I´ze spool.
sorry raul... i said r-edition spool cause it comes with the r-edition :big grin: and yes, love the alphas/sol plateform 8-)
So, are you going to get the Zonda ?

Man, I´m tempted. 8-[
lol... raul, you have deep pockets! ;)

Nibbles
Angler
Angler

Post by Nibbles » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

raul wrote:
overdose wrote:so is there a big difference in the ize spool vs ito spool and the r-edition spool? or are they all the same thing? another question... don't wanna highjack the thread, but could the ito clear side plate improve performance? just wondering... :-k
There is no R-Edition spool, the R-Edition has an I´ze spool. I don´t think the clear side plate has anything to do with the performance, the Itö casts great, the R-Edition casts great too, how much of a difference ? I don´t see or haven´t been able to detect such a significant difference between both and vs the Type F the difference is not THAT great, a foot in casting distance perhaps, but the R and Itö cast more freely, I know it because I have the three of them ( the only one I never purchased was the purple one ), different inductors ( probably ) between the spools, different spool supporting bearings ( probably ) between the reels.

The truth is, I purchased the reels because I like the platform, I can see small differences in performance between them but it´s like trying to split hairs, in the final run I don´t make such a big deal out of a foot in max casting distance because I seldomly cast trying to achieve the max casting distance possible.
I've got 3 Itos and an R-Edition. Gotta agree with Raul about not really noticing a difference between the Ito and the R-Edition in terms of performance. The R-Edition does have a pretty cool swept carbon fiber handle though.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Don't forget the Zonda :D
Magforce Z,flat deep ported spool
Tuned tapered inductor(as NOT seen on the previous ito)
Lightest of the Alphas family(158 grams,2 grams lighter than the PX68 :shock: )
Carbon/ matte black paint job with a price to match.
Attachments
zondaspool3.jpg
Zonda LEFT,R Edition RIGHT
zondaspool3.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
zon4.jpg
zon4.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
Happiness is a sore thumb

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 am

I have a Alphas R edition and the spool is different from the I'ze factory.
In fact the Type R spool weights 15.31g while the I'ze factory weights 16.64g and the Sol spool 16.31g.
Also the placement of the inductors is different in all spool and I believe also the inductor's spring and centrifugal weights :-k
Although the I'ze factory is the most heavy spool, I was able to cast a Rapala original floating 7cm with my Alphas and Major Stick 66ML :big grin:
Last edited by Carlos Carrapiço on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:I have a Alphas type R and the spool is different from the I'ze factory.
In fact the Type R spool weights 15.31g while the I'ze factory weights 16.64g and the Sol spool 16.31g.
Also the placement of the inductors is different in all spool and I believe also the inductor's spring and centrifugal weights :-k
Although the I'ze factory is the most heavy spool, I was able to cast a Rapala original floating 7cm with my Alphas and Major Stick 66ML :big grin:
Again, Alphas Type R ----> doesn´t exist, it´s R Edition.

Od, I wish my pockets were deep, actually they´ve been quite shallow lately; the truth is I want/desire/crave/drool/covet a TD Itö badly, but it always seems to evade me, whenI have the money months may go without being available, when it´s available I don´t have the money and them reel bargains appear right at the time I have the piggy bank fat and ready to be slaughtered to purchase the Itö. I have the money saved and I find a 2005 Pixy for 240, there I go, a couple weeks later .... I´ll be danged, the Itö appears and I´m now 240 short, by the time I´m able to save the money the object of desire is gone, the piggy bank fattens and ...... Alphas Itös at Ichiban for 260, hard to resist and there I get an Alphas, now I´m 260 short and the danged TD Itö is available ! ](*,) , so ... so far these are extras I´ve got at bargains while I "save" for the TD Itö

1 Alphas Type F
1 Alphas Itö
1 2005 Pixy
1 Alphas R edition
1 TDZ105H
1 TDZ 103H

Doesn´t mean they are the only ones I got, those are the ones I purchased at bargains while waiting for the TD Itö, all of them are NIB ( not planning to sell them ) added to the ones I got in use, So Zonda ? .........I dunno if I´ll get it.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 am

raul wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:I have a Alphas type R and the spool is different from the I'ze factory.
Thanks, I have corrected it.

BTW, does anyone has info on the Alphas ITO spool weight? :-k

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
raul wrote:
Thanks, I have corrected it.

BTW, does anyone has info on the Alphas ITO spool weight? :-k
The ito spool weight is 16g.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks Tokugawa.

I don't want to sound boring but 16g exactly or you were unable to measure it more accurately.
Is just because 16 can be 15.5 or 16.4 which could put it in the same level as a Alphas R edition or a Sol spool. :-k

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:Thanks Tokugawa.

I don't want to sound boring but 16g exactly or you were unable to measure it more accurately.
Is just because 16 can be 15.5 or 16.4 which could put it in the same level as a Alphas R edition or a Sol spool. :-k
My scale does not measure 10ths of grams. However, I think at that point you are just measuring manufacturing tolerances, and not any real intentional design differences.

15.5g = .5467 oz
16g = .5644 oz
16.5g = .5820 oz

+/- 0.5 grams is +/- 3.125% for a 16g spool. Those are pretty tight tolerances.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:Thanks Tokugawa.

My scale does not measure 10ths of grams. However, I think at that point you are just measuring manufacturing tolerances, and not any real intentional design differences.

15.5g = .5467 oz
16g = .5644 oz
16.5g = .5820 oz

+/- 0.5 grams is +/- 3.125% for a 16g spool. Those are pretty tight tolerances.
Dear Tokugawa,

I have two I'ze HLC spools for zillion and they are exactly the same weight (15.12g) so the tolerances are below 1/100g and I do believe even smaller. :big grin: