Differences in Alphas reels

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Differences in Alphas reels

Post by froteur » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Would someone please list the main differences between the Alphas reels - 103 (purple one), F, Type R, R tuned, Ito ai, and whatever else I missed?

Thanks. :D

Perry

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Differences in Alphas reels

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 pm

froteur wrote:Would someone please list the main differences between the Alphas reels - 103 (purple one), F, Type R, R tuned, Ito ai, and whatever else I missed?

Thanks. :D

Perry
I can tell you that the purple 103 has corrosion resistance ball bearings. Check out japan tackle as well, they have all of them listed there.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Alphas R-edition and Alphas ito are pretty much the same. Both have tuned spool

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 am

The 103 and Type F are the same except the Type F has a 4 BB handle as opposed to 2 BB handle for the 103...and of course color.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Tokugawa wrote:The 103 and Type F are the same except the Type F has a 4 BB handle as opposed to 2 BB handle for the 103...and of course color.
so you're saying the 103 has the "factory tuning" that the type f has?

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 am

Regular Alphas : CRRBs, no bbs under the knobs, painted purple

Ito: Lexan cover and front, polished aluminum finish, theoretically speaking tuned spool ( don´t know where or how, supposedly it had Typr R+ tunning but later it came out that it did not )

R-Edition: painted bright silver, carbon fiber swept handle, 2 bbs in the knobs, I´ze Spool, cork knobs.

Type F: 2 bbs under the knobs, 1 under each knob, ( not 4 like someone said ). Painted mattè silver

Type R: doesn´t exist

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm

The purple alphas and the r edition are both okayed for saltwater use. the alphas f and ito are freshwater only reels.The Sol is virtually the same reel as the F with a different handle and colour scheme.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:54 pm

rumrunner wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:The 103 and Type F are the same except the Type F has a 4 BB handle as opposed to 2 BB handle for the 103...and of course color.
The Type F is not "tuned". Neither is the 103. The R-Edition is tho.

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

so is there a big difference in the ize spool vs ito spool and the r-edition spool? or are they all the same thing? another question... don't wanna highjack the thread, but could the ito clear side plate improve performance? just wondering... :-k

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

overdose wrote:so is there a big difference in the ize spool vs ito spool and the r-edition spool? or are they all the same thing? another question... don't wanna highjack the thread, but could the ito clear side plate improve performance? just wondering... :-k
Not sure if the side plate can improve performance but it sure is cool. :big grin:

btw ..... please keep the responses coming.

thanks.

Perry

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 am

overdose wrote:so is there a big difference in the ize spool vs ito spool and the r-edition spool? or are they all the same thing? another question... don't wanna highjack the thread, but could the ito clear side plate improve performance? just wondering... :-k
All Alphas/Sol spools weight 16g, even with a bit of porting on the tuned versions.

The ize, ito and r-edition have different inductors. The ito spool is a bit more free than the 103/Sol spool.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:05 am

Tokugawa wrote:
rumrunner wrote:
The Type F is not "tuned". Neither is the 103. The R-Edition is tho.
I have read the f meant factory tuned.And i can see that mine has been polished internally, compared to my sol.i got it used from japan, so i can't garuntee it was factory done, but it sure looked professionally done.the polish ends in a squared off manner, for example instead of haphazardly like somebody did it with sand paper or a dremel.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:17 am

There is no R-Edition spool, the R-Edition has an I´ze spool. I don´t think the clear side plate has anything to do with the performance, the Itö casts great, the R-Edition casts great too, how much of a difference ? I don´t see or haven´t been able to detect such a significant difference between both and vs the Type F the difference is not THAT great, a foot in casting distance perhaps, but the R and Itö cast more freely, I know it because I have the three of them ( the only one I never purchased was the purple one ), different inductors ( probably ) between the spools, different spool supporting bearings ( probably ) between the reels.

The truth is, I purchased the reels because I like the platform, I can see small differences in performance between them but it´s like trying to split hairs, in the final run I don´t make such a big deal out of a foot in max casting distance because I seldomly cast trying to achieve the max casting distance possible.

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am

raul wrote:There is no R-Edition spool, the R-Edition has an I´ze spool.
sorry raul... i said r-edition spool cause it comes with the r-edition :big grin: and yes, love the alphas/sol plateform 8-)

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 am

I have almost every version as well and agree 100% with Raul.