Pixy vs Sol

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Pixy vs Sol

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:19 pm

I have a Sol and was wondering what are the advantages of going with a Pixy as apposed to supertuning my Sol. I got permission from the wife to get a Pixy but wondered if it was worth it. Other than weight what do you guys think are the major advantages?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy vs Sol

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 am

its MUCH lighter as I wasnt a fan of the sol as you could buy the alphas line of reels and still have a better/lighter reel..The pixy is one sweet reel from light baits all the way up to pitching with 20lb line..Once you get one you might not be able to contain yourself and you WILL have to buy another.. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:51 am

dude your wife let you get a pixy? jump on it then, they are hard to find especially in LH, i had to settle on a sol. do wish i bought LH PIXY due to weight difference but my sol with an upgraded IZE spool and abec7 bearings launches 1/4 oz baits well over 140 feet which for me is plenty for my intended purposes.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 am

Nothing wrong with a Sol, it is a great reel. But when you are talking about a Pixy, everything is right. Super lite, and refined. what type of Pixy do you have in mind?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 am

Frankly, I rather have the Sol. I have a Sol with no upgrades and a Pixilla. My Sol can cast 1/4oz cranks and jerkbaits easily, holds a little bit more line and stands up to saltwater. The Pixilla's spool spins so fast, I can't reliably cast anything with it even when I've maxed out the brakes. I've been considering trading it for a Alphas or Sol but still haven't made up my mind.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 am

I have/had a guy that might sell me his 04 yellow stock Pixy. Need to try and get a hold of him again. Otherwise I found a semi new Airy Red and a new Airy Red. Price is a little high but a lot of people say it is worth it. I was just wondering if spending the money on my Sol would be more beneficial. Sounds like the vote is in on the Pixy. Wish I could get the PX68 but $500 after shipping is way out of my price range.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Much depends on the rod you're going to use and what weight baits you plan to throw. If you're looking at a stock Pixy then a lighter power rod would be the choice and with that, your targeted baits should be lighter also. If you're going to be throwing 4" Senkos primarily..then the Sol, especially with a bearing upgrade would fit the bill nicely.

Here's the flip side. If you never own or fish a Pixy, you'll probably always wonder what you've been missing. :-k So grab the Pixy, since you have approval...... (then upgrade the bearings in the Sol) :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Considering function, form, and tuning possibilities.....the Pixy gets my vote.
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

I have an Airy Red Pixzilla, a fairly stock Sol (Alphas handle and drag upgrade) and a heavily modded Sol (ZPI handle, Alphas ito AI spool, drag upgrade). The Pixzilla is awesome...even better than the heavily modded Sol. The to advantages the Sol has over a Pixy is the drag and line capacity. The stock Sol drag is serviceable, while the stock Pixy drag is quite small. If you need more capacity, the Alphas/Sol is the way to go.
USA-RET wrote:Here's the flip side. If you never own or fish a Pixy, you'll probably always wonder what you've been missing. :-k So grab the Pixy, since you have approval...... (then upgrade the bearings in the Sol) :lol:
Yup. The Airy Red Pixy mystique will never leave you alone. You'll always wonder... :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 pm

QuitLookinAtMyItos wrote:Considering function, form, and tuning possibilities.....the Pixy gets my vote.
Same here 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:06 pm

USA-RET wrote:Much depends on the rod you're going to use and what weight baits you plan to throw. If you're looking at a stock Pixy then a lighter power rod would be the choice and with that, your targeted baits should be lighter also. If you're going to be throwing 4" Senkos primarily..then the Sol, especially with a bearing upgrade would fit the bill nicely.

Here's the flip side. If you never own or fish a Pixy, you'll probably always wonder what you've been missing. :-k So grab the Pixy, since you have approval...... (then upgrade the bearings in the Sol) :lol:
That just about sums it up...

I posted a similar ? when I first got my pixy. I already had a sol mounted on an XF ML (kinda in between a M and ML) rod. Mounted the pixy on the same rod, expecting a performance jump, nada. Same ability to cast the baits I normally used w/ this rod. Then put the pixy on a MLF rod and BINGO! After a bearing upgrade on both reels, I made another comparison w/ each reel mounted on a SJ781 custom. Sol couldn't keep up w/ the light stuff.

BUT.. go to a slightly heavier like mentioned above and you'll spool the pixy pretty easy and the Sol would be a better match.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 am

cst wrote:Frankly, I rather have the Sol. I have a Sol with no upgrades and a Pixilla. My Sol can cast 1/4oz cranks and jerkbaits easily, holds a little bit more line and stands up to saltwater. The Pixilla's spool spins so fast, I can't reliably cast anything with it even when I've maxed out the brakes. I've been considering trading it for a Alphas or Sol but still haven't made up my mind.
Have you tried to set the spool tension knob to the point that the spool doesn't turn with the weight of the lure (1/4 to 3/8 oz, don't do this with swimbaits) when you are holding the rod horizontally?
This should make it very controllable without cutting too much on the distance.
If not, maybe you are without magnetic brakes :-k

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:33 am

bronzefly wrote:
QuitLookinAtMyItos wrote:Considering function, form, and tuning possibilities.....the Pixy gets my vote.
Same here 8-)
Me2
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am

I have the Sol with A Pixy spool. Best of both worlds. you have the durability of a sol ( able to handle salt water ) with pixy casting performance. loaded with 15lb power pro I have enough line capacity and strength to handle most esturine fish. :D

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I have the Sol with A Pixy spool. Best of both worlds. you have the durability of a sol ( able to handle salt water ) with pixy casting performance. loaded with 15lb power pro I have enough line capacity and strength to handle most esturine fish. :D
Good to hear!!!

I'm eager to try mine out, Mundo got me the rings a few weeks back but I've yet to give pixy spooled Sol a go.