Megabass IS 71 hyper lariat

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass IS 71 hyper lariat

Post by bassm1n » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:00 am

is this reel on the steex frame?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:40 pm

I couldnt stop thinking about this reel.... -
Just got one on order \:D/

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:55 am

Gblaze wrote:I couldnt stop thinking about this reel.... -
Just got one on order \:D/
Nice! I've been thinking about it tool. Can't understand the reasoning behind only making left hand models with the purple accents though, Sucks for me.
Whatcha gonna mount it on?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Im getting Otterrods to custom craft a rod for it - with black purple silver accents - JDM-esque. I saw that post with the black/gold ito and the eva handle wrapped to look like a samurai sword- had me drooling so much I think I may emulate it some ;) in my build

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 am

I know the last post is from 2011.
I have been using this reel for a few years now with the IS honeycomb spool as a powerfinesse setup. Last weekend for the first time I put the original IS deep spool back and it came to me as a shock how limited the casting distance was. :shock: I was just wondering if you guys think that the magnet on the IS is stronger than standard Steez and is it more designed for pitching rather than casting for distance?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Patex wrote:I know the last post is from 2011.
I have been using this reel for a few years now with the IS honeycomb spool as a powerfinesse setup. Last weekend for the first time I put the original IS deep spool back and it came to me as a shock how limited the casting distance was. :shock: I was just wondering if you guys think that the magnet on the IS is stronger than standard Steez and is it more designed for pitching rather than casting for distance?
IS magnets are stronger than regular Steez magnets. You can swap the entire magnet cup between reels of you want regular strength magnets. I have my SS SV spool in my IS73 and had to swap the SS SV magnetic cup assembly to the IS73 to make it useable. Any flick of the spool would make the inductor on the SS SV spool extend all the way out with the IS73 magnets. You could just flick the spool and hear the tick-tick of the inductor extend then seat. Bonkers braking. I now use the IS73 magnets in the SS SV with a fixed inductor BFS spool for more control with UL baits.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm

LowRange wrote:
Patex wrote:I know the last post is from 2011.
IS magnets are stronger than regular Steez magnets. You can swap the entire magnet cup between reels of you want regular strength magnets. I have my SS SV spool in my IS73 and had to swap the SS SV magnetic cup assembly to the IS73 to make it useable. Any flick of the spool would make the inductor on the SS SV spool extend all the way out with the IS73 magnets. You could just flick the spool and hear the tick-tick of the inductor extend then seat. Bonkers braking. I now use the IS73 magnets in the SS SV with a fixed inductor BFS spool for more control with UL baits.
Hey Guys:

I’m glad this came up. Always thought about possibly acquiring one of these. I do a fair amount of pitching, but my fishing often depends on long casts. Median lure weight I would say is around 1/2 oz. I’m not interested in having to ultra modify a reel to make it usable for my purposes. This would not be the reel for me in that case. Correct?

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 am

Thank you that is reassuring, still a great reel so I am just going to stick IS honeycomb spool back and continue using it for finesse.

Polfkish1 , I would have to choose again I would just get the new Steez TWS for distance.

Ripken_240
Angler
Angler

Post by Ripken_240 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 am

I myself have owned the IS71 for some time now. I was super impressed with its performance right out of the box. Since acquiring I have experimented with it and added a few more purple accents to it and but the IS BFS in it. With that spool being super shallow the reel can cast the smallest baits with the right rod. After the spool being put in, I had it polished and higher end bearings put in the reel. Itll now toss a 1/16oz. Okashira swimbait head with a 2.8" keitec swimbait like nothing. It's super impressive.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi,

I want to buy an IS Hyper Lariat 7.1 ...

How does it cast? I own 2 Met DC 2015 and I want to.make a comparaison with it...?

Is this Lariat better that the Steez (new version) ... does it have upgraded bearings or spool?

Thank you

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm

I fish for pike and zander with jigs and other lures...I am NOT doing pitching for bass...Do you think that this reel isnt made for distance? :shock: :roll: ...I am worried about that... :?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 am

Lariat is essentially a dressed up steez by MB. Excellent reel non the less out of the box and tuned.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 am

Cristo wrote:Lariat is essentially a dressed up steez by MB. Excellent reel non the less out of the box and tuned.
Tks Cristo,

Can you tell me more?!?...what kind of baits casts and how far? :)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am

Honestly it can do just about everything like generally most reel platforms can do it is just is super well put together. It is a bad a** reel out if the box, or couple it with a aftermarket spool and it is insane. I never had the need to have it be a BFS but with the applicable aftermarket spool it can do that marvelously as well from what I hear. Rest assured you have an absolute winner in the stable if you have one or want one 8-)

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Its on the way... :big grin:

Lariat 71 with 95 mm Carbon Taken SS handle, spare knobs Taken SS and star drag SLP works...

Zonda Hedgehog Custom NIB not tuned, just factory , with spare spool...

Will see how they are and perform... :big grin: