Does anyone know why?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Does anyone know why?

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:05 am

GARRIGA wrote:Agreed. The man fishes what he wants just like the majority of us who aren't lucky to be sponsored bit I think it's a rather far stretch to assume its cause of the VBS unless he's stated that in the past. More interesting is that the USDM Shimano have the same exact brakes and for the most part are the same reels. Perhaps he's just an enthusiast like many on this forum and appreciates the slight improvements we get from overseas direct.
This!

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:25 am

Nytron wrote:Megabass reels have amazing build quality and look very exotic, but I doubt they outperform a Aldebaran/Metanium for a full shift of serious bass fishing. The JDM shimanos are more comfortable to palm, lighter, better casting performance, less expensive. Once you master shimano's VBS system, you can reliably cast all their reels without backlashing. Why mess with reels that have outdated magnetic braking systems when you can buy all your reels with the same VBS centrifugal system and master that?

No reason to fish those Megabass reels unless you're trying to make a statement and show off to people. It doesn't even make sense for pros to use enthusiast reels. Just because the price tag is high does not make it the best tool for the job. And at the end of the day, that's what matters. Use the best tool for the job.
I don't know what is your experience with Megabass reel but I know mine. :-k

Concerning the outdated magnetic braking systems, I believe VBS is indeed the outdated.
You can look outside Shimano camp and you can find better centrifugal systems (at least more user friendly ) in other places like Abu, Quantum (which owns the rights for externally adjustable centrifugal system in the US. This doesn't affect the ABU flying arm system because its concept is different). You can even find tandem systems that work great.
More, you can see even inside Shimano camp that they realized the need for an externally adjustable centrifugal system.

What you can say is that VBS works fine with the angler that likes to set it and forget because if you like to do fine adjustments then you get something else.
You can say also that is very predictable and less sensitive to the user skills.
MAG-V/Z are better pitching and need less effort to get the same distance.
VBS in some cases can get you more distance but not sure it is up to the system in the HLC Zillion spool :-k

BTW, KVD was fishing Megabass Visions 110 in the other day.... [-(

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:13 am

I watched a video where he explicitly said that he doesn't have a reel sponsor, he feels the JDM Metanium is the best reel, and that he has a hook up and gets them for a great price.

I think it was a video where he was doing a walk thru of his boat if I'm remembering this correctly. But he definitely did say specifically that he fishes those JDM Shimano reels because he thinks they're the best, and that he has a hook up that gets them for him at a very discounted price.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 pm

godshippy wrote:I watched a video where he explicitly said that he doesn't have a reel sponsor, he feels the JDM Metanium is the best reel, and that he has a hook up and gets them for a great price.

I think it was a video where he was doing a walk thru of his boat if I'm remembering this correctly. But he definitely did say specifically that he fishes those JDM Shimano reels because he thinks they're the best, and that he has a hook up that gets them for him at a very discounted price.
Isn't getting it at great discount a form of sponsorship?

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Very interesting discussion guys. He may only pay a little to use the reels, but isn't able to put it on his jersey. As far as enthusiast reels used those rods are not inexpensive at all. I would fish the purple Zonda 68 if I could afford it. I think it looks awesome. I think I saw a video that said he only uses 7:1 retrieve for everything casting, even cranks. I think thats nuts. To each his own i suppose.

gorilla style
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gorilla style » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Nytron wrote:Megabass reels have amazing build quality and look very exotic, but I doubt they outperform a Aldebaran/Metanium for a full shift of serious bass fishing. The JDM shimanos are more comfortable to palm, lighter, better casting performance, less expensive. Once you master shimano's VBS system, you can reliably cast all their reels without backlashing. Why mess with reels that have outdated magnetic braking systems when you can buy all your reels with the same VBS centrifugal system and master that?

No reason to fish those Megabass reels unless you're trying to make a statement and show off to people. It doesn't even make sense for pros to use enthusiast reels. Just because the price tag is high does not make it the best tool for the job. And at the end of the day, that's what matters. Use the best tool for the job.
I don't know what is your experience with Megabass reel but I know mine. :-k

Concerning the outdated magnetic braking systems, I believe VBS is indeed the outdated.
You can look outside Shimano camp and you can find better centrifugal systems (at least more user friendly ) in other places like Abu, Quantum (which owns the rights for externally adjustable centrifugal system in the US. This doesn't affect the ABU flying arm system because its concept is different). You can even find tandem systems that work great.
More, you can see even inside Shimano camp that they realized the need for an externally adjustable centrifugal system.

What you can say is that VBS works fine with the angler that likes to set it and forget because if you like to do fine adjustments then you get something else.
You can say also that is very predictable and less sensitive to the user skills.
MAG-V/Z are better pitching and need less effort to get the same distance.
VBS in some cases can get you more distance but not sure it is up to the system in the HLC Zillion spool :-k

BTW, KVD was fishing Megabass Visions 110 in the other day.... [-(
Umm Quantum doesnt make lures as far as I know. And according to Cals review, the HLC didnt show any improvements on casting distance vs a regular Zillion.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 am

gorilla style wrote:Umm Quantum doesnt make lures as far as I know. And according to Cals review, the HLC didnt show any improvements on casting distance vs a regular Zillion.
No, Quantum doesn't make lures, but strike king does, and KVD is sponsored by strike king. The point Carlos was trying to illustrate is that the Pro's don't always stick to sponsor gear only. Without calling anyone out, other forum members and I have found examples of this in the elite pros and it certainly includes rods and reels as well.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
gorilla style wrote:Umm Quantum doesnt make lures as far as I know. And according to Cals review, the HLC didnt show any improvements on casting distance vs a regular Zillion.
No, Quantum doesn't make lures, but strike king does, and KVD is sponsored by strike king. The point Carlos was trying to illustrate is that the Pro's don't always stick to sponsor gear only. Without calling anyone out, other forum members and I have found examples of this in the elite pros and it certainly includes rods and reels as well.
Very true. I know that in other sports, those types of allowances are written into contracts. Tiger Woods, for example, had a clause that ensures that X number of clubs in his bag are always Nike -- but he still can use a certain number of non-Nike clubs at his discretion (which is why he continued to use a Scotty Cameron/Titleist putter for so many years. Sure, sponsors want their products to be showcased -- but if it makes their athlete less competitive, then that's no good for either party.

As for Aaron's choice of reels. I think part of it has to do with the fact that he doesn't have a reel sponsor, so he chooses not to be "endorsing" Shimano domestic market reels without Shimano paying for that honor. I've known several elite athletes who would use a competitor's products to fit a specific need -- and went as far as camouflaging or defacing the brand-specific features so as a) not to offend the actual sponsor and b) so the competitor wouldn't get any free advertising.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
Thanks =D>

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am

gorilla style wrote: And according to Cals review, the HLC didnt show any improvements on casting distance vs a regular Zillion.
I think you can find some people that disagree with Cals HLC review me included but I have two HLC spools at my home and several zillions to test in my backyard for as long as I want while Cal may be pressured by the enormous amount of gear to review. :-k

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm

No, Quantum doesn't make lures, but strike king does, and KVD is sponsored by strike king. The point Carlos was trying to illustrate is that the Pro's don't always stick to sponsor gear only. Without calling anyone out, other forum members and I have found examples of this in the elite pros and it certainly includes rods and reels as well.[/quote]

Very true. I know that in other sports, those types of allowances are written into contracts. Tiger Woods, for example, had a clause that ensures that X number of clubs in his bag are always Nike -- but he still can use a certain number of non-Nike clubs at his discretion (which is why he continued to use a Scotty Cameron/Titleist putter for so many years. Sure, sponsors want their products to be showcased -- but if it makes their athlete less competitive, then that's no good for either party.

As for Aaron's choice of reels. I think part of it has to do with the fact that he doesn't have a reel sponsor, so he chooses not to be "endorsing" Shimano domestic market reels without Shimano paying for that honor. I've known several elite athletes who would use a competitor's products to fit a specific need -- and went as far as camouflaging or defacing the brand-specific features so as a) not to offend the actual sponsor and b) so the competitor wouldn't
get any free advertising.[/quote]

They do the same thing in the NFL. Reebok has the uniform contract so your not allowed to wear any other companies gear. I know with the gloves a lot of guys use Cutter but the NFL makes them put the Reebok/NFL shield on them to conceal on TV. It doesn't surprise me it happens in another sport.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

More than likely Aaron has a clause in his contract with Megabass that prohibits compensation/sponsorship from other manufactures, thus he purchases the Shimano reels that he fishes... I've never heard what he pays for the reels but if he pays $1.00 for a reel then he is not being sponsored. Why does he fish with Shimano reels? Probably because he likes them and they fit his needs and confidence. :doh:

Regarding the Shimano vs Daiwa debate... who cares... it's a blond vs brunette discussion... just go fish! ](*,)

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:14 am

bstuckey wrote:if he pays $1.00 for a reel then he is not being sponsored.
I believe there are many forms of sponsorship from a totally free ride to a greatly reduced discount. What I think is most important is if he would still buy a particular product had the price been full retail such I would have to pay. For $1, I'd seriously consider fishing Quantums if I was a tournament fisherman watching his pennies to ensure I could survive the grueling financial season. Since I don't get discounts that steep or fish for a living and have a well paying day job, I buy Shimano and Daiwa and lately attracted to their JDM offerings which depending on exchange rates and source may or may not be more expensive. I also don't carry 18 plus rigs and thousands of pounds of tackle around. :)