Differences between Zillion PE Special and Zillion Type R?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Differences between Zillion PE Special and Zillion Type

Post by wirinhar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 am

A short review from Carlos makes my long aim from Zillion Type R to Zillion PE Special. =D> =D> =D>

I am going for this sexy blue reel :)

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 am

wirinhar wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:I have both reels.

The PE has:

Digigears for better mesh between main and pinion gear.
The material of the main gear is an upgraded C6191 special alloy.
The pinion gear is made of stainless steel.
The main gear shaft is an aluminium alloy.
The gear set were later incorporated in the Zillion made in collaboration with DEPS.
SST Drag. As far as I know, this was the first Daiwa small profile reel to have a carbontex drag.
Rectification bars to protect the reel from the braided line.
11 CRBB
Special spool with fixed inductor (MAGFORCE · PE) and special finish to avoid the braid to slip. No need for nylon backing.
Faster line guide to prevent line digging in the spool.
The reel was designed for saltwater fishing.
6.3:1 gear ratio.
The tension knob has two rubber o-rings to hold the line.

The Type R:

Same frame as the PE.
Normal gear set material but most probably designed with Digigear technology.
11 good bearings but not CRBB
Improved drag but only in max drag achievable. The PE is as smooth as it gets.
The main shaft is the same as all normal Zillions.
Carbon Swept handle.
Special drag star.
Normal Mag Z.
Normal spool.
7.3:1 gear ratio.
Same tension knob as the PE.
An excellent information and thank you so much for sharing it!!!

you were saying about the Digigears for better mesh between main and pinion gear, is Ryoga Digigear technology as well???

Thanks for the input in advance.

Regards,
Wirinhar
The Ryoga and the Z have Digigears.

Most probably also the Zillion J Dream.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 am

runmax07 wrote:Carlos, since you have both reels........Which one is better and why? I believe there both excellent reels, but one has whistles and the other has bells and whistles......
In terms of the components quality, the PE may be better.
The Type-R has the carbon handle, more powerful drag and faster gear ratio but that is all.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:25 pm

wirinhar wrote:A short review from Carlos makes my long aim from Zillion Type R to Zillion PE Special. =D> =D> =D>

Good luck my brother,I can tell you that at least NIB,these are not easy to find-at least not in my corner of the world.Might be an easier find in the used market,not sure,but...I believe these were made a few years ago,and seems like most folks that have em are holding on to them.I did see one for sale at a JDM online shop,NIB,but if I recall properly they wanted 675 for it,which is a bit of a mark up for certain...do wish you luck tho,and hope you find what you are after...

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:
wirinhar wrote:A short review from Carlos makes my long aim from Zillion Type R to Zillion PE Special. =D> =D> =D>

Good luck my brother,I can tell you that at least NIB,these are not easy to find-at least not in my corner of the world.Might be an easier find in the used market,not sure,but...I believe these were made a few years ago,and seems like most folks that have em are holding on to them.I did see one for sale at a JDM online shop,NIB,but if I recall properly they wanted 675 for it,which is a bit of a mark up for certain...do wish you luck tho,and hope you find what you are after...
Thank you for the wish :) and I will certainly share with u all when I manage to get those sexy blue reels.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:09 pm

aussiebasser wrote:The PE is a very strong reel. I have a couple of them that we use in New Guinea for chasing PNG Black Bass. They are designed for using braid, so the Levelwind mechanismmoves faster giving a better crossover of line. In saying that, it may be a weakspot in the reel as I have had one levelwind failure. This was the older of the reels and had done a lot of heavy work. Daiwa Australia fixed it under warranty, and I haven't had an issue since. I run 50lb braid and high drag settings with fish that can strip quite a bit of line off the spool. It has probably landed more than a dozen meter+ Barramundi and some very big Black Bass, Spot Tail Bass and Mangrove Jack in PNG. I even brought a 10 foot Crocodile to the boat with it on 50lb Braid. The PE Special and the Z2020 are my "go to" reels for heavy casting work.
Strength wise how would you rate it against the z 2020? Used on for salmon last weekend. I'm addicted.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Mcyl wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:The PE is a very strong reel. I have a couple of them that we use in New Guinea for chasing PNG Black Bass. They are designed for using braid, so the Levelwind mechanismmoves faster giving a better crossover of line. In saying that, it may be a weakspot in the reel as I have had one levelwind failure. This was the older of the reels and had done a lot of heavy work. Daiwa Australia fixed it under warranty, and I haven't had an issue since. I run 50lb braid and high drag settings with fish that can strip quite a bit of line off the spool. It has probably landed more than a dozen meter+ Barramundi and some very big Black Bass, Spot Tail Bass and Mangrove Jack in PNG. I even brought a 10 foot Crocodile to the boat with it on 50lb Braid. The PE Special and the Z2020 are my "go to" reels for heavy casting work.
Strength wise how would you rate it against the z 2020? Used on for salmon last weekend. I'm addicted.
I've never owned or fished a PE but have a few Zillions and two Z and based on the usual 4# bass I've caught on both as well as how they handle higher resistance baits there's no comparison. Just fish the Z. I doubt the PE even with DigiGears can compare to the Z. The Z main gear dwarfs the Zillion.
Last edited by GARRIGA on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm

I wouldn't rate the PE anywhere near the Z2020 in strength. You need to remember that the PE was initially designed as an eging reel. It is suited to light braid. I over fish mine quite a bit and it has failed once, with the level wind gear stripping. I just bought a Ryoga 1016 Bay Jigging reel, and although the cast control is very basic, it seems like it will be strong enough to do what I want it to. I'm heading to PNG next week to give it a decent try out.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 am

At Japan Tackle they have a new PE special available. It's ratio is at 7.9 like the J-Dream.
Costs nearly as much as a z or an '12 Antares. The speed, the fixed inductor, shallow spool, it looks like a BFS reel on steroids. Want one...

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 am

No digigear on the 7.9 though.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:49 am

The 7.9 PE doesn't have fixed inductor either, but Mag force Z actually.

IMO the 7.9 PE is more similar to the 7.9J-Dream than the original PE. I suspect Daiwa has some spare 7.9 gears so use them to make a "new" reel. :lol: No Hyper digigear. No so called "Mag force PE" fixed inductor. Nth really special. Someone can just simply drop a Zillion PE shallow spool into his J-Dream and make one himself. :mrgreen:

Yes it still has the faster level wind but I wonder how much it helps rather than cutting casting distance. Perhaps only shines when using PE as thin as #0.6, but my J-Dream casting #1.0 PE no problem at all.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

The PE series are specifically designed for eging or squidding. They are built to accomodate fine PE lines, 0.6-0.8 PE, hence the faster level wind. If you want a very strong reel, buy a Z2020, if you want a very fast reel side buy a J Dream. I don't think there is a very strong and very fast baitcast reel made yet.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:57 pm

aussiebasser wrote:The PE series are specifically designed for eging or squidding. They are built to accomodate fine PE lines, 0.6-0.8 PE, hence the faster level wind. If you want a very strong reel, buy a Z2020, if you want a very fast reel side buy a J Dream. I don't think there is a very strong and very fast baitcast reel made yet.
JD/PE 7.9 IPT 35". Z2020SH IPT 32"

I agree that the Z2020 is the best of both worlds.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Z2020h....

I'm no daiwa fan but I'm really sway towards a z for big LP. I might wait till my inshore has reached the limits of what I want to do first however.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 pm

I agree on the Z2020H for the saltwater luring. SH seems too speedy for my applications in slow retrieve of my Jerkbait for seabass and divers for groupers. Z is just heavy. Wishing for a Z1016 weighing at max at 210g with a better paint job at the sides near to the edge of the spool. Seemingly the black paint does fall off even with gentle uses.

I am a big fan of daiwa baitcasters. Fan of Shimano spins. The corrosion resistance of daiwa does seems better and could be due to better anodizing. My 2cents.
Mcyl wrote:Z2020h....

I'm no daiwa fan but I'm really sway towards a z for big LP. I might wait till my inshore has reached the limits of what I want to do first however.