Differences between Zillion PE Special and Zillion Type R?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Differences between Zillion PE Special and Zillion Type

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:I've caught them on my Saltiga 4500Z S-extreme, Certate Hyper Custom 4000 and Branzino. These are not the reels I'd choose to cast at structure all day. Yest the IAR bearings gave out in the 200 and 300 BB and the 250 BS. This normally takes a big chunk of skin off your knucke when it happens too. The Z2020 remains the strongest most comfortable reel to use when casting a structure all day.
I was thinking SW Stella in the 6000 - 10,000 sizes for spinners. And an IAR that "blows up" on a hard running gamefish is likely a mess all around.
Surf reels?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Big game SW spinning reels...from marlin to tuna to GTs and just about anything in between.

A big Stella for just the surf is a waste of $$$$ IMO.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:Big game SW spinning reels...from marlin to tuna to GTs and just about anything in between.

But for PNG?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Big game SW spinning reels...from marlin to tuna to GTs and just about anything in between.

But for PNG?
This is not my rec. or first choice...but rather, my reply to a previous poster about his wanting to see a Daiwa or Shimano Stella being used for the noted PNG quarry.

See a few post previous.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:54 pm

dragon1 wrote:
runmax07 wrote:I would like to see a battle between a Daiwa 3000-4000 or Stella and that PNG Black Bass. You say you broke a Bluebacker (xship) and a Blacksheep. I betch wouldn't break a large spinning reel...........lol
The older Millionaire platforms had issues with the IAR bearing under hard running load on the drag. From what I can gather, the frame, gears, etc., were usually not the culprit for failure.

Spinning will definitely have an advantage for drag smoothness, heat dissapation and overall max output, but the torque output will likely not match a BC unless it is a larger size like what is offered for SW Daiwa and Shimano spinners.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:04 am

Got it. If one was looking for a beefed up spinner with torque to overpower large fish without the added weight of a Stella 10000 then consider a Van Staal 150 which weights 12 ounces, has a 4.75 gear ratio, sealed and built to last. I've thought about this for chucking swimbaits like Hudd 8s. Doesn't hurt that it holds 440 of 30# braid (I'd load it with 100# if chasing big fish out of heavy cover) and cranks 30" IPT. Besides the surf, it makes a great Yak option and versatile walk the bank reel. No clue how it would fair against PNG but its got the guts, power and about 20 year usage history to read up on.

One more thing, since it's bailess that provides one less item to break which when off in a remote location could save a trip. Only reason I haven't bought one is because I'm hoping ZeeBaaZ comes out with a similar size version since I like their approach better.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:03 am

GARRIGA wrote:Got it. If one was looking for a beefed up spinner with torque to overpower large fish without the added weight of a Stella 10000 then consider a Van Staal 150 which weights 12 ounces, has a 4.75 gear ratio, sealed and built to last. I've thought about this for chucking swimbaits like Hudd 8s. Doesn't hurt that it holds 440 of 30# braid (I'd load it with 100# if chasing big fish out of heavy cover) and cranks 30" IPT. Besides the surf, it makes a great Yak option and versatile walk the bank reel. No clue how it would fair against PNG but its got the guts, power and about 20 year usage history to read up on.

One more thing, since it's bailess that provides one less item to break which when off in a remote location could save a trip. Only reason I haven't bought one is because I'm hoping ZeeBaaZ comes out with a similar size version since I like their approach better.
The VS and Zeebaas are wicked reels...not as smooth and balanced as the Stella or Daiwas, but these reels are made to take a lot of abuse and noted to be very tough in SW conditions.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Are the Zillion PEs good at casting light baits say down to 1/8oz? Since it has a lightened spool I was hoping it can handle small blades and weightless worms. I love the look of this reel and its SS parts not to mention its speed. Could be a great reel for my style of fishing

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:06 am

Mcyl wrote:Are the Zillion PEs good at casting light baits say down to 1/8oz? Since it has a lightened spool I was hoping it can handle small blades and weightless worms. I love the look of this reel and its SS parts not to mention its speed. Could be a great reel for my style of fishing
Someone here showed me a 1/8oz frog or gecko once... I forgot what it was and where to find it.
It was JDM I believe..

Any help?

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:43 am

Martin Lo wrote:
Mcyl wrote:Are the Zillion PEs good at casting light baits say down to 1/8oz? Since it has a lightened spool I was hoping it can handle small blades and weightless worms. I love the look of this reel and its SS parts not to mention its speed. Could be a great reel for my style of fishing
Someone here showed me a 1/8oz frog or gecko once... I forgot what it was and where to find it.
It was JDM I believe..

Any help?
Dude, why you talking to yourself?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:50 am

No just quoted something old. It was on this thread, right after my post. Someone with a super PE PMed a poster of a 1/8oz single hooked soft frog. Looks perfect for JP/bass Basser. Nice rod rack btw.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:05 pm

aussiebasser wrote:I've caught them on my Saltiga 4500Z S-extreme, Certate Hyper Custom 4000 and Branzino. These are not the reels I'd choose to cast at structure all day. Yest the IAR bearings gave out in the 200 and 300 BB and the 250 BS. This normally takes a big chunk of skin off your knucke when it happens too. The Z2020 remains the strongest most comfortable reel to use when casting a structure all day.
Probably the reason the Z and Ryoga's have a back up anti reverse behind the main gear. Plus a larger anti reverse bearing than the millionaire reels.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:08 pm

aussiebasser wrote:The fight

Don't just look at it girl, get the net!

Reminds me of an old Mal Florence VHS that I had when he hooks a croc on an old shimano bullwhip pistol grip and bantom reel up at barra base .

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:01 pm

aussiebasser wrote:The fight

Don't just look at it girl, get the net!

Crikey! :mrgreen:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 am

If you're gonna reserect a thread, might as well reserect one that talks about putting daiwas toughest reels to their limits and catching crocodiles on jerkbaits :D

As far as thread reserections go... I'd give this 3.5 out of 5 resserection stars =D> (You missed 1.5 stars for asking about finesse baits in a 'tough reel' thread).

As for the frogs, no idea, but I know of some that just hit the market, but they're sold out everywhere and I ain't saying until I get some first :lol:
Evergreen kicker frogs & deps will do ya right till then.