Japanses Spin Rell drag ratings

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Japanses Spin Rell drag ratings

Post by ultralight » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:41 am

Greetings,

In two identical reels, the drag rating could be completely different. One could be rated 2kg and another 7kg.

What do these settings mean?
1. That the maximum line test the drag wil support? (i.e. 2kg lb test?)
2. That is the amount of pressure the drag can exert? So a 2 kg drag can be spooled with up to 6 kg line if we use the 1/3 drag rule?
3. Something else?

And is the difference just drag material that we can change and make a 2 kg drag into 7 kg and vice versa? Curious.

Curious.

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Japanses Spin Rell drag ratings

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:48 pm

Ultralight,

The Drag is intended for protection of mechanisms of a reel.

To install it is possible the Drag of any power, it not a problem. If the Drag of 7 kgs, means a load 7 kgs (draft on line from a upper turn) is allowable for this reel. That is, does not result in destroying its mechanisms.

If to deliver the less power Drag, the reel will work always in a light mode, will serve longer. But its possibilities will be underemploed.
And still: the designers stake the less power Drag from reasons "fool proof". That is, it is possible itself to substitute on more power - but it with the hazard, it is necessary to use it competently.

Between actual power of the Drag and test of a line there is a correlation. The maximum test of a line, directed on a spool, approximately corresponds to possibilities of a reel - in sense of strength of its mechanisms. Accordingly, in view of above mentioned, this test directs a power handling capability of the Drag (no more!).

But the lines on spools can be staked any, irrespective of power of the Drag. Simply their strength will be used not completely - Drag will work earlier (or - much earlier), than a line will teared.

Said equally both for spinning and casting reels.
ultralight wrote:...In two identical reels, the drag rating could be completely different. One could be rated 2kg and another 7kg... Curious.
If two identical reels have of the maximum Drag of 2 kgs and 7 kgs, means for the designer of these reels neurones are braked tightly.

"I so think" (C - Valiko Mizandary).

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:51 pm

I could well be wrong so im sure someone will correct me if i am.
Ive always assumed that the Max drag quoted for a reel is the amount of force required to turn the spool at the max drag setting. Now im not sure how this measurement is done, the tackletour guys can probably best answer that. If its done by measuring the force required to make the spool turn against the drag, then at what level do you fill the spool to take the measurement? The force required will be greater as the spool is emptied.

As for your 1/3 rule, you pick a line strength such that 1/3 is the drag strength straight off the reel. The remaining 2/3 is a cushion used to allow for 1) knot strength (only the best knots retain better than 70% line strength), 2) additional force on the line as the rod bends and 3) for long range and big game applications, you must also allow for the water resistance against the line.

My conquest has 4kg max drag. So, if i want to utilise all of this drag i would use at least 12kg. Actually, if i intend on using full drag id actually use a bigger buffer (15kg-20kg which is only possible with the advent of superlines) since it has disengaging levelwind. But in almost all situations, i wouldnt use full drag so i only use 10kg line.

As a side note, I find it interesting that the kilogram (kg) is not a measure of force and yet this is the SI unit chosen to measure drag and line strength.

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:23 am

In my opinion, all is correct. In - detail, just so: the actual power of the brake ("real Drag") is inversely proportional (linearly proportional) to diameter of the LAST turn on a spool.
I too shall use lines (braided) in 1.5-4 times stronger, than nominal Drag - measured for a upper turn with full spool. Except for listed, it is necessary to take into account one more factor: detents. The strong line allows to salvage a bait (and line itself). Certainly, to draw it is necessary spool a line on any foreign object - chunk of a wood, for example.
Only about knots for me diverse judgement. I use "tune knot"; it, well knotted, on my estimation, has strength more than 90% of strength of a line.
Once again I am sorry for poor English.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:25 am

Vladimir,

Your English if just fine. I understand you well. THANKS for all who responded.

UL

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:17 pm

Ok, so max drag is quoted for the full spool. Cool.

Vladimir, dont worry about your english mate, its a lot better than my russian :lol:. In some sections i get a little lost, but after a couple of reads the message is fairly clear.

Im always interested in good knots. Would you have a link to a diagram of the 'tune' knot?

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:46 am

I have forgotten the protosource. Here:
Inscriptions: "to strap in the return order (is strict!)" and "a tail".

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:01 am

You are seeing two different drag rating on two identical reels because of the different spools used. The shallow spool model use less washers and there for less drag but smoother lighter drag thru out the drag ranges.[/quote]

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:03 pm

Vladimir, certainly looks like an interesting knot and i can definitely see the makings of strong connection but im still not sure how to tie it just from your diagram.

Its used for tying on terminal tackle correct?

What is the big aqua thing in the u shape? im thinking this is just something to act as a device so that you can make your turns of line. Once youve done your turns, you feed the tag back through where you started (the swivel). Im thinking the next step must be to peel the ends of the big aqua thing backwards and tighten the line (using the tag end) so that the loops are transferred around the line to form the knot.

Is that close?

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:48 am

Here, has shocked the computer and has found the original. But it from Russian source.
"The big aqua thing" I have invented itself. It is a slice of a strand. On it simply it is more convenient to spool a line, than on elements of tackle. And to strap from it - too it is more convenient.
"To peel the ends of the big aqua thing" - I'm not devise a stratagem :). It also is not necessary.
It is necessary to keep the major tag end. By seizing for the last turn, we strap a turn behind a turn, campaign correcting. In result is received a spread return coiling on a pair of lines: the basic line and tag end. Is removed "the big aqua thing". Wettables. We draw for both cords (the basic line and tag end) together(!).
It is very interesting, that thee will say, when will try out. Inform somehow, good?
Attachments
tuna.gif
tuna.gif (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3956 times

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:06 pm

Thanks Vladimir. Now i think i understand what we're trying to do. :D
Ill give it a go tonight and let you know how it goes.

gordony
Angler
Angler

Post by gordony » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm

hi, thats the different of the spoon , the deeper spoon rate higher max drag, when you fill up the spoon , they are the same, thanks