Daiwa Z2020

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Z2020

Post by bassm1n » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:34 am

Spent the week in Michigan casting 1/2 oz spinnerbaits for smallies and an occasional northern. The z2020 performed great. Had 20-30 MPH winds non stop and set the real and never had to touch it again. Into the wind cross wind downwind. The mag 3 is pretty impressive. This reel and a super stallion. Ready for action anytime anywhere.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Z2020

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 am

Awesome combo!! I have a Z200HL on my Super Stallion... the Z's are incredible reels, no doubt! I have both US and JDM versions and really don't think there is a significant performance difference between the two, but the performance of either is very, very impressive!

Cork knobs and a 100mm RCS handle look great on the Z with the Super Stallion too :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:26 am

Z is a fantastic reel and covers just about all needed bass applications aside from true finesse and true swimbait sizes.

I really wish Daiwa would release a 1016! [-o<

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 pm

hopefully this one would follow ryoga footsteps
Z1016...

By the way, does your Z2020 black paintwork on
sides near the spool edges fall off? Mine did not howvever some of my friends were appalled with theirs.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:04 pm

In my experience, only anodized metal "color" will last on the spool lip/edges. Most factory painted spools will lose color on the edges, unfortunately due to thumbing.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 pm

dragon1 wrote:Z is a fantastic reel and covers just about all needed bass applications aside from true finesse and true swimbait sizes.

If the 1016 was released tomorrow, I'd sell all my other 100 size reels including my Steez the same day. Daiwa is either missing the boat or thinks the T3 was the answer. Scrap the futuristic shell and winged guide and just shrink the Z. The rest in comparison is just a brain fart.

While they are at it they should add 5:1 gears to both and perhaps a 300 ready for bigger lures. If they made it we'd buy it. :)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:57 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
If the 1016 was released tomorrow, I'd sell all my other 100 size reels including my Steez the same day.
[/quote]

Are you listening Daiwa? I'd certainly purge a lot of very nice reels if they released such a machine... a mini Z would be amazing!!

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
If the 1016 was released tomorrow, I'd sell all my other 100 size reels including my Steez the same day.
Are you listening Daiwa? I'd certainly purge a lot of very nice reels if they released such a machine... a mini Z would be amazing!![/quote]

I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot. That's why they presented the T-3 and now the Lexa. Are they Z's - absolutely not, but they are trying to hit a part of the market that Shimano totally screwed up the last two years. If they came out with a 100 Z, I WOULD sell a bunch of reels to replace them with Z's, but NOT everything. Some reels are just too much fun to have, regardless of how good the Z is.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:27 pm

pobigred wrote:I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot.
hahaha. if u see pat's gear (posting - reel friends), u know he is not an average guy!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:21 pm

phiten wrote:
pobigred wrote:I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot.
hahaha. if u see pat's gear (posting - reel friends), u know he is not an average guy!
A lot of TT members in general are not the "average Joe" when it comes to gear! 8-)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 am

bronzefly wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Are you listening Daiwa? I'd certainly purge a lot of very nice reels if they released such a machine... a mini Z would be amazing!![/quote]
=D> X2 I also wonder, approximately how much would a smaller Z weigh? :-k

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 pm

dragon1 wrote:
phiten wrote:
A lot of TT members in general are not the "average Joe" when it comes to gear! 8-)
Becos here is TACKLE TOUR. :lol:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:07 pm

pobigred wrote: I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot. That's why they presented the T-3 and now the Lexa. Are they Z's - absolutely not, but they are trying to hit a part of the market that Shimano totally screwed up the last two years. If they came out with a 100 Z, I WOULD sell a bunch of reels to replace them with Z's, but NOT everything. Some reels are just too much fun to have, regardless of how good the Z is.
I'd consider the cost to be "manufacturing cost". I saw Daiwa spending quite a lot into developing T3 and making new molds but the results turned out to be not too good. They are then trying to sell more T3 to cover the "cost" by tuning some into T3 Air and bringing out the custom project.

Will Daiwa invest again to bring out another 100 size fragship reel Z1016, when there are already Steez, Zillions, Ryoga, T3? Hopefully yes, but I guess it wont be too soon. At the moment they seem prefer tuning an older model into new reels, eg. Zillion J-Dream, PE 7.9, rather than developing new molds to manufacture an entirely new reel.

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

phiten wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments, but most of the stuff I have purchased was either purchased used or at a good discount, or I too, could not have afforded it. If you look at the price of the Semper Fi bling stuff I used compared to some other stuff you could get, it was also quite a bit less expensive. But I bought it because I thought it was excellent quality, despite the lack of front page name recognition. So, yeh I make a little more than the average guy, but I do not have an open check book and I am also always aware that there are plenty of people viewing these comments that clearly do NOT make that kind of money, so I'm also interested in seeing how we can help them meet their particular dreams, even if they cannot afford some of the stuff others can. Each person has his own level of comfort.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:06 pm

pobigred wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Are you listening Daiwa? I'd certainly purge a lot of very nice reels if they released such a machine... a mini Z would be amazing!!
I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot. That's why they presented the T-3 and now the Lexa. Are they Z's - absolutely not, but they are trying to hit a part of the market that Shimano totally screwed up the last two years. If they came out with a 100 Z, I WOULD sell a bunch of reels to replace them with Z's, but NOT everything. Some reels are just too much fun to have, regardless of how good the Z is.[/quote]

Funny that, I got a mind for the opposite. Going back to basics: Ultra premium basics.
Store up all the BFS gear, the power spinners, the in betweeners and the random curiosity driven purchases.

Buy the best ml spin setup and the best heavy BC. A backpack full of baits and a variety of lines on different spools.
And then fish the world. A 7' rod carry case, a mac pack and a credit card.

Hmm. A Z2020, a Stella 2500hg. Shallow spools for both and 2 Legend xtreme 7'ers. I think that would cost more than my entire current inventory!

Needless to say I've been watching too much Jeremy Wade.