How do you rate these TDZ/Steez/IS spools

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How do you rate these TDZ/Steez/IS spools

Post by kakaryan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 am

Recently I have bought a used TD-ito and hopefully it's on the way to me. Haven't been using any TDZ/Steez before so I am new to the TDZ platform. As having been in tt for some time, I generally know how do the spools differ. But with many newer/better spools being available, some previous comments and thoughts might be outdated so I would like to throw out the mix again and hear your thoughts. Eg. Which is your favourite?/the best?/for what applications? Which is a "must have"? Which older spool still performs as good as its newer cousins?

Here is the information that I gathered through time.

TDZ Type R/TD-ito 103: with Type R tuning which is the fastest 30,000rpm but required an expert thumb? (I will get this soon and cant wait to see whether my thumb is skillful enough or not :D )

TDZ Type R+: With a bit more braking force which is easier to control than the Type R.

TDZ 105: Shallower and lighter than 103, which is good for finesse. (I guess this is outdated after the release of the Megabass IS finesse spool? Still a cheaper option though.)

ZPI's: fixed inductor...?

Steez 103: Good for pitching and finesse. But kinda "wild child"?

Steez 100: Good for all around casting application.

Steez HLC: Nth special than standard Steez spool.

T3/RCS1016/1012: Surprisingly cast better than standard Steez spools.

Megabasss IS finesse spool: probably the best finesse spool available today.

Steez/T3 SV: Available in June. Performance unknown yet.

So far I think the 1016 and IS finesse spools are leading as I keep seeing they get mentioned here all the time. :lol: Being an alI time baitfinesse lover, I know I shouldn't miss the IS finesse and so I hv already ordered one for the coming ITO. I think the next spool I would purchase for this platform maybe the SV, or I may just get the T3 SV or Steez SV reel. Still waiting to see their compatibility as Daiwa releases seperate SV spools for them and with price difference. 8-[

Cheers.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do you rate these TDZ/Steez/IS spools

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm

mnihgt put my t3 spool in my steez and give it a throw.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Looks accurate to me based on what I have used and what I have read.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm

What kind of spool does Megabass use in the IS? I guess the IS spool is more similar to T3/RCS 1016 spool than Steez 100 spool?

If talking about stock spools/official release spools alone, will it be correct to say that: if the the Type R spool is 1st generation, Type R+ would be the 2nd generation where TDZ Type R+ and Steez 103 spool are very similar. Then the 3rd generation IS/1016 spools bring the performance to next level. Finally the SV spool may be considered to be the 4th generation with the entire new design and Air brake inductor, or may be only considered to be an optional spool if the performance shows no different??

Generally, do you think each generation is better than its previous precursor? :D

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm

just curious which is the lightest one :?:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 pm

kakaryan wrote:Generally, do you think each generation is better than its previous precursor? :D
Not generally, no. I haven't had the opportunity to fish the new SV spools however...

The TD-Z 103H Type R+ spool is still one of the best spools ever made as far as I'm concerned. Some are better for heavier lines and heavier lures, some are better for lighter lines and lighter lures, but for an "all purpose" bass fishing reel, the R+ spool in the original R+ reels is something special. I cast, skip, and pitch with R+ spools and enjoy every minute of it.

The IS Megabass Finesse spools are insanely good for true finesse stuff. They hold little line, but that comes with the territory for their intended purposes. As much as I love the Daiwa Presso and it's stock spool and even the original Daiwa Pixy family, I still think a Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z with an IS spool paired with the right line and right rod can handle the light stuff better.

The TD-Z 105 spools are finesse oriented, but are still more than capable of handling a lot of light cranking, jerkbait, topwater type duties with 8 to 12lb lines depending on diameter. It remains one of my favorite spools. I have them in stock form and with R+ inductors installed that I use on medium and medium light powered rods for a range of techniques. It's too bad that they're discontinued with no more being made.

The T3 1016 spool is very, very impressive. I enjoy the performance in the Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z platform. We've sold out of them quickly every time we've had them in stock and have many more on backorder - and have for some time as others also enjoy them. As much as I like the performance of the T3 1016 reels overall, something about the feel of the reel when the hood "clicks" down turns me off. I would like to see the reel in aluminum or magnesium frame, or better yet, just come out with a Z100 or Z1010, Z1016 or whatever...

The original TD-Ito spool is crazy fast and is the epitome of a "wild child." That said, with the brakes turned down and the spool tension low, it's performance is amazing if you can get past the inevitable backlashes that will happen when set loosely. I don't know of a faster spool Daiwa has ever produced.

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 pm

bronzefly wrote:
kakaryan wrote:Generally, do you think each generation is better than its previous precursor? :D
Not generally, no. I haven't had the opportunity to fish the new SV spools however...

The TD-Z 103H Type R+ spool is still one of the best spools ever made as far as I'm concerned. Some are better for heavier lines and heavier lures, some are better for lighter lines and lighter lures, but for an "all purpose" bass fishing reel, the R+ spool in the original R+ reels is something special. I cast, skip, and pitch with R+ spools and enjoy every minute of it.

The IS Megabass Finesse spools are insanely good for true finesse stuff. They hold little line, but that comes with the territory for their intended purposes. As much as I love the Daiwa Presso and it's stock spool and even the original Daiwa Pixy family, I still think a Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z with an IS spool paired with the right line and right rod can handle the light stuff better.

The TD-Z 105 spools are finesse oriented, but are still more than capable of handling a lot of light cranking, jerkbait, topwater type duties with 8 to 12lb lines depending on diameter. It remains one of my favorite spools. I have them in stock form and with R+ inductors installed that I use on medium and medium light powered rods for a range of techniques. It's too bad that they're discontinued with no more being made.

The T3 1016 spool is very, very impressive. I enjoy the performance in the Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z platform. We've sold out of them quickly every time we've had them in stock and have many more on backorder - and have for some time as others also enjoy them. As much as I like the performance of the T3 1016 reels overall, something about the feel of the reel when the hood "clicks" down turns me off. I would like to see the reel in aluminum or magnesium frame, or better yet, just come out with a Z100 or Z1010, Z1016 or whatever...

The original TD-Ito spool is crazy fast and is the epitome of a "wild child." That said, with the brakes turned down and the spool tension low, it's performance is amazing if you can get past the inevitable backlashes that will happen when set loosely. I don't know of a faster spool Daiwa has ever produced.
I own several Type R+'s and ITO's and cannot imagine another better overall go to reel. If you are right handed, one of the differences will be that the R+ is 6.3 and the ITO is 5.7. Either way, I have always had e-bassfisher swap out gears from the TDZ's 103 or 100M - thus getting brass gears, which are only slightly heavier, but stronger, faster and better longevity. You can also convert the ITO to 6.3 gears if you like, which is probably smart if you are going to do much flipping or bottom fishing with it. If not, then leaving the 5.7 gears in will create another speed zone that the R+ does not offer. Have owned every other TDZ except the 105H, but keep coming back to the R+ and ITO. If you TRULY want to enjoy this reel to its max and want to experience it in its smoothest form, then send it to e_bassfisher and have bearings changed, drags upgraded and have it supertune it. Once you do, you'll send all your reels for the same process - SIMPLY AMAZING difference. Enjoy.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 pm

pobigred wrote: I own several Type R+'s and ITO's and cannot imagine another better overall go to reel. If you are right handed, one of the differences will be that the R+ is 6.3 and the ITO is 5.7. Either way, I have always had e-bassfisher swap out gears from the TDZ's 103 or 100M - thus getting brass gears, which are only slightly heavier, but stronger, faster and better longevity. You can also convert the ITO to 6.3 gears if you like, which is probably smart if you are going to do much flipping or bottom fishing with it. If not, then leaving the 5.7 gears in will create another speed zone that the R+ does not offer. Have owned every other TDZ except the 105H, but keep coming back to the R+ and ITO. If you TRULY want to enjoy this reel to its max and want to experience it in its smoothest form, then send it to e_bassfisher and have bearings changed, drags upgraded and have it supertune it. Once you do, you'll send all your reels for the same process - SIMPLY AMAZING difference. Enjoy.
Agreed on the work Ian (e_bassfisher) does... his work is as good as it gets and far superior to many other "tuners" out there by a long shot.

That said, the leftys need not fret. I use both RH and LH reels and the TD-Z 103ML R+ and even the standard TD-Z 103ML are favorites of mine. The Tackle Trap stocks a 5.7:1 to 6.3:1 conversion kit for this reason to make TD-Z ML models a brass geared, 6.3:1 machine...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3305

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 am

bronzefly wrote:
pobigred wrote: I own several Type R+'s and ITO's and cannot imagine another better overall go to reel. If you are right handed, one of the differences will be that the R+ is 6.3 and the ITO is 5.7. Either way, I have always had e-bassfisher swap out gears from the TDZ's 103 or 100M - thus getting brass gears, which are only slightly heavier, but stronger, faster and better longevity. You can also convert the ITO to 6.3 gears if you like, which is probably smart if you are going to do much flipping or bottom fishing with it. If not, then leaving the 5.7 gears in will create another speed zone that the R+ does not offer. Have owned every other TDZ except the 105H, but keep coming back to the R+ and ITO. If you TRULY want to enjoy this reel to its max and want to experience it in its smoothest form, then send it to e_bassfisher and have bearings changed, drags upgraded and have it supertune it. Once you do, you'll send all your reels for the same process - SIMPLY AMAZING difference. Enjoy.
Agreed on the work Ian (e_bassfisher) does... his work is as good as it gets and far superior to many other "tuners" out there by a long shot.

That said, the leftys need not fret. I use both RH and LH reels and the TD-Z 103ML R+ and even the standard TD-Z 103ML are favorites of mine. The Tackle Trap stocks a 5.7:1 to 6.3:1 conversion kit for this reason to make TD-Z ML models a brass geared, 6.3:1 machine...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3305

Ian is a great guy to deal with and does amazing work, he has had his hands on all of my TDZ and Steez reels :whistle: \:D/ he comes highly recommended in my book also =D>

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am

Ktf d.27 finesse spool.
It's the lightest available and has t3 air-like inductor.
They fit alphas so it should fit an Ito right?

Might want to ask KTF or plat

It's mentioned here
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ktf+ ... ent=safari

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 am

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 am

As usual, thanks for the detailed reply bronzefly. This is just what I am looking for. Good to hear the "oldies" are still doing that good and are highly rated. Feel glad that I finally come to the ito and cant wait to feel it.

Mcyl, we are talking about TDZ/Steez platform spools and unfortunately the Alphas spools do not fit, unless you dont mind leaving a gap or using some spacer. But wtih so many spools available for this platform now, why still bother? :D

PS: A friend of mine has tried using his T3 Air Spool in his Steez and it didn't fit. He told me the shaft lengths has a difference of about 1mm. Though it could be simply fixed but we just didn't bother. Personally I am not too crazy about those KTF offerings as they are just a spool. Not to mention the difficulties to source and the heavily drilled, braid-unfriendly design... :-#

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 am

5.6g spool...
KTF parts is my least explored brand as yet. I gotta admit they have some interesting parts like carbon drag stars.
However I agree with you that the spool looks very fragile. I've started using light mono for topwater. Nothing fancy just platypus super 100 10lb...great fun.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 am

Hey, I know it's not the right place to post this but I think no one reads the right place so here goes.
Does JIP CAl and other forum admin ever respond to questions?
I've tried to ask about TT allowing access on mobiles using forum runner or tapatalk but there has been no response.
It's just a setting on vbulletin and could give members ease of use while on a smartphone.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Mcyl wrote: ...about TT allowing access on mobiles using forum runner or tapatalk...
[-X That would make the dark side going even stronger. I am afraid I cant focus at work... :lol: