TD-ito questions

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TD-ito questions

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the JDM scene so please help me out a little. I've wanted a TD-ito 103 for atleast 6 or 7 years and I finally bit the bullet. It will be here in a few days (thanks Van!). There are a few questions I have pertaining to upgrades on this reel.

I'll be leaving the handle stock, as I've always loved the way it looks. I am wondering, what options do I have for extra spools? I've seen the HLC spool on japan tackle that fits the ito but I really havn't seen that much around. Do spools that fit the TDZ platform fit the ito? Or are they not compatible? I'd even be interested in purchasing an extra GIGAS spool just like it came with but I can't find them anywhere :-({|=

I'd like to get some matching purple screws, and purple bassart knobs (style pictured below)... but I just can't seem to find that style anywhere. Also, are there any other suggestions y'all have as far as upgrades go? Any and all help is appreciated!

I feel like this could get addicting :evil22:

-Jason
Attachments
bassart_color_371.jpg
bassart_color_371.jpg (4.39 KiB) Viewed 4133 times

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-ito questions

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 pm

DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote: I feel like this could get addicting

Oh, you have no idea. by the way, Welcome to the Darkside. There is no return and anything less will be unsatisfying.

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Finnz922 wrote:

Oh, you have no idea. by the way, Welcome to the Darkside. There is no return and anything less will be unsatisfying.
I hope it's not too bad, being a full time student + working a retail job on the weekends isn't going to cut it :lol:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

http://www.hedgehog-studio.com/product/1413

http://www.hedgehog-studio.com/product/1410

These should work but you might wait for more responses as i do not own a Ito or TDZ.

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Finnz922 wrote:http://www.hedgehog-studio.com/product/1413

http://www.hedgehog-studio.com/product/1410

These should work but you might wait for more responses as i do not own a Ito or TDZ.
If someone can confirm that they will fit an ito I will most likely get them. Thanks for the links!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Duuude...J...can't you wait until I get it in the mail first? :evil22:

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

dragon1 wrote:Duuude...J...can't you wait until I get it in the mail first? :evil22:
Hahaha I couldn't resist \:D/

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:34 am

So, you are the young man to whom Van sold this reel. Trust me, you got a GREAT price on this reel.

I own probably as many of these as anyone and have done LOTS of upgrades. So let's see if I can help you.

The Hedgehog stuff is cool and will fit. Just be aware that the tension knob cap from them, while beautiful is non-clicking. I prefer the Semper Fi purple knob over the Bassart as it is a bit smaller and lighter. There is yet another Bassart all purple handle available - which I happen to have one set of that is totally different that you might like too..

As far as spools, the Techno Formula ZPI RC-001 spools will fit and several colors look good in this reel - lime green, green, black widow, purple. You can view them on Icibahn Tackle - go down the left hand column and look for ZPI office. These are fixed inductor spools and can be magnificent, but would recommend that you send it to e_bassfisher to tune. These are hard to find, but I have a few extras but in limited colors. They run about $100 a spool. The other one that will work well would be a Daiwa 1016 spool out of a T3 - only $69 - keep checking with the Tackel Trap for the Gigas spool and the T3 spool.

Three of the best upgrades you can make to this reel are: 1) bearings OS7's; 2) Carbontex drags and 3) change the gears to TDZ gears - you can keep them at the 5.8 or go to 6.3 but the TDZ gears are brass, meaning they are stronger, faster and will last longer - your main gear currently is plastic - it will increase the weight slightly but I've never noticed. Also GET a SPOOL COVER - this paint is very rare and very suceptible to scratching - so you need to protect it as much as possible

Finally, if you really want the reel of a lifetime, send it to e_bassfisher - have him install the bearings, drag, upgraded gears, clean it and supertune it. It will be so smooth on the return you will NOT believe it.

If you send me your email address (easier to attach pics that way), I will send you some examples of what I have done to mine that will give you some ideas on what you might want to consider.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 am

holy...

NOW you're asking for it.

You might need to run an online business, mow lawns, run errands, on top of your duties as a full-time student and weekend retail man.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:53 am

haoz wrote:holy...

NOW you're asking for it.

You might need to run an online business, mow lawns, run errands, on top of your duties as a full-time student and weekend retail man.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm just going to explain what I know. It will be his decision as to what he decides to do. Certainly not all of it [-X [-X I hope, or he WILL have to do what you are suggesting :crying: :crying:

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 am

there's no turning back! Better get a second job.
DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:

I hope it's not too bad, being a full time student + working a retail job on the weekends isn't going to cut it :lol:

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 am

Wow guys thanks for all of the replies! I can't wait to see what I can do with this :evil22:

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 am

pobigred wrote:So, you are the young man to whom Van sold this reel. Trust me, you got a GREAT price on this reel.

I own probably as many of these as anyone and have done LOTS of upgrades. So let's see if I can help you.

The Hedgehog stuff is cool and will fit. Just be aware that the tension knob cap from them, while beautiful is non-clicking. I prefer the Semper Fi purple knob over the Bassart as it is a bit smaller and lighter. There is yet another Bassart all purple handle available - which I happen to have one set of that is totally different that you might like too..

As far as spools, the Techno Formula ZPI RC-001 spools will fit and several colors look good in this reel - lime green, green, black widow, purple. You can view them on Icibahn Tackle - go down the left hand column and look for ZPI office. These are fixed inductor spools and can be magnificent, but would recommend that you send it to e_bassfisher to tune. These are hard to find, but I have a few extras but in limited colors. They run about $100 a spool. The other one that will work well would be a Daiwa 1016 spool out of a T3 - only $69 - keep checking with the Tackel Trap for the Gigas spool and the T3 spool.

Three of the best upgrades you can make to this reel are: 1) bearings OS7's; 2) Carbontex drags and 3) change the gears to TDZ gears - you can keep them at the 5.8 or go to 6.3 but the TDZ gears are brass, meaning they are stronger, faster and will last longer - your main gear currently is plastic - it will increase the weight slightly but I've never noticed. Also GET a SPOOL COVER - this paint is very rare and very suceptible to scratching - so you need to protect it as much as possible

Finally, if you really want the reel of a lifetime, send it to e_bassfisher - have him install the bearings, drag, upgraded gears, clean it and supertune it. It will be so smooth on the return you will NOT believe it.

If you send me your email address (easier to attach pics that way), I will send you some examples of what I have done to mine that will give you some ideas on what you might want to consider.
So much to do, so little time hahahahaha. PM sent regarding my email, thanks!

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm

pobigred wrote:change the gears to TDZ gears - you can keep them at the 5.8 or go to 6.3 but the TDZ gears are brass, meaning they are stronger, faster and will last longer - your main gear currently is plastic -
You're not really meaning this right? I don't own an TD-Ito (do have an M-Ito) but I'm pretty dang sure they didn't put a plastic main gear in it. I believe it's aluminum. A 5.8 gearset is a 5.8 gearset with regards to speed, material does not affect gear speed.
If your reel is a lefty, 6.3's are stock. If it's a righty they're 5.7's.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Those Bassart knobs are sweet....but really, really heavy. Just FYI...plus...those ito knobs are the best knobs ever made IMO.

Fish it first...you may not need to change a thing. ;)