My first Megabass rod and reel.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My first Megabass rod and reel.

Post by Tearitup66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 am

First off thanks to all the TT members who helped me choose these items and actually sell them to me as well. I couldn't be happier with an awesome jerk bait setup. Here are my pics. May take a few I have no host.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My first Megabass rod and reel.

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 am

What u get??

Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tearitup66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 am

I don't have a host so waiting on TT to post them for me. It's a megabass Zonda 68 and an orochi f4-65x4 one ten stick. Pictures should be up soon. I hope lol.

ohg9530
Angler
Angler

Post by ohg9530 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I just received my first Megabass reel today, also a Zonda 68. I am now in the market for a new rod and would like to pair it with a Megabass rod as well. I am looking at being able to make long casts with senkos and other plastics. I was eyeing an F3 version, something light and sensitive. I could pair it with my NRX 853C but really want to try a comparable Megabass counterpart. Suggestions are appreciated.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:03 pm

ohg9530 wrote:I just received my first Megabass reel today, also a Zonda 68. I am now in the market for a new rod and would like to pair it with a Megabass rod as well. I am looking at being able to make long casts with senkos and other plastics. I was eyeing an F3 version, something light and sensitive. I could pair it with my NRX 853C but really want to try a comparable Megabass counterpart. Suggestions are appreciated.
Eiger Northwall from the Phase III line is an option. Good small moving bait rod also.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3739

If you want something with a faster tip you can consider the X4 Rattle Viper.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=2838

ohg9530
Angler
Angler

Post by ohg9530 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:36 pm

What about an OROCHI X4 F2.1/2-64X4? JPF has them at a decent price. Too small?

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:37 pm

I got my Rattle Viper yesterday and tried it out today. It's an F3, but not too light. I'm delighted with it. Put a Steez 100 on it and cast a fluke weightless. Magnificent.
Very light and super sensitive. Compared it to my Dobyns 702C Champ Extreme with another Steez, a 103. I'm beginning to see the 103 casts lighter baits than the 100 but both are amazing. A little heavier action rod than the Dobyns 702C and perfect for plastics.....senkos and shakey head worms/creatures. Also tried it with a split shot and a smallie Beaver and was fantastic!!
I don't think the next action up would be light enough. But, later I MAY get the Black Elseil to do a tad heavier baits.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 pm

ohg9530 wrote:What about an OROCHI X4 F2.1/2-64X4? JPF has them at a decent price. Too small?
This is the Hedgehog. It has the Stinger tip on it, Megabass calls it "ultra extra fast". I just got this rod a few weeks ago and haven't used it yet, but intend to try it for finesse jigs and shaky heads. Total weight including plastics would be in the 1/8 to 3/8 range, mostly 1/8 and 1/4.

Bronzefly at The Tackle Trap advised me that throwing a 1/2 oz bait on this rod was pushing it but he says up to 3/8 it is excellent, assuming you are OK with the ultra extra fast tip. If you are throwing weightless Senko's you should be in the sweet spot. Since I haven't used the rod yet I can't relate any personal experience on this one, but I am looking forward to having it in the rod locker this year. As I said in my earlier post, the ENW and RV are viable options also.

Good luck.

Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tearitup66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I think the black elseil will be my next rod as well. Throwing jigs is one of my favorite ways to fish. Bronzefly suggested it as where I'm lacking is a good jig and heavier worm rod. The only rod I have for this type app is my Dobyns dx 702c which I will be using for dropshot and senkos. I do however have a Shimano Crucial worm and jig mh, xf, 7'2" rod which I am passing on to my son who used it a lot last year and he really liked it. Which means I have to buy one more rod. Dang it lol. Making excuses to buy more gear.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 pm

ohg9530 wrote:What about an OROCHI X4 F2.1/2-64X4? JPF has them at a decent price. Too small?
Shopping is terrible and no warranty

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Tearitup66 wrote:I think the black elseil will be my next rod as well. Throwing jigs is one of my favorite ways to fish. Bronzefly suggested it as where I'm lacking is a good jig and heavier worm rod. The only rod I have for this type app is my Dobyns dx 702c which I will be using for dropshot and senkos. I do however have a Shimano Crucial worm and jig mh, xf, 7'2" rod which I am passing on to my son who used it a lot last year and he really liked it. Which means I have to buy one more rod. Dang it lol. Making excuses to buy more gear.
What size jig

Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tearitup66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 pm

I'll be tossing 1/4 to 1/2oz football jigs and I use 1/4 inline weights for all the different rigs I toss. I do have a few 5/8 oz jigs as well. But not so many I wouldn't feel bad not using them if the BE wasn't suited for them. There is always next year for a more suitable rod or my kids can use them as well.

Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tearitup66 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:25 am

Ok I hope these pictures work

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 am

The photos came out reel nice, beautiful combo congrats. Thanks for sharing.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm

...Always wanted a Zonda for my Criffhanger but gave in and got the Pixy due to the fact that spending over $1000 for a rod/reel combo is pretty ludicrous at sixteen haha! Great combo!