Megabass Junkies

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Basstronaught
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Junkies

Post by Basstronaught » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 am

Does anyone have a chart or know off hand what the letters on the 110's and x-80 TD's mean? I.e. gg gp gs...thanks

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Junkies

Post by steve1206 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 am

► Guanium Ghost finish (GG) - is one of the most popular Megabass finishes. It's used in order to apply guanine, a natural substance found in fish scales that causes reflection on fish scales. Combined with the fine etched scale lines molded into the plastic, it gives convincingly realistic baitfish flesh look to Megabass baits.

► Guanium Phantom finish (GP) - Whereas Guanium Ghost (GG) applies guanine over a colored bait, the Guanium Phantom (GP) finish is the same effect of applying Guanium finish over a translucent bait without coloring applied to the bait.

► Neon Core finish (NC) - Basically the GP finish, but with the GP applied on a flat reflective panel that's housed lengthwise inside of the baits. The flat panel will send a much larger reflection than off the round body surface.

► Pearl Mica (PM) finish - This is representative of Megabass' opaque (solid) color finishes. But bear in mind, all Megabass baits (except BONE colors) are made starting with clear plastic, so even non-Guanium finishes (such as PM and other solid colors) do not block light completely. All Megabass baits allow some light to come through the bodies, making the colors more vivid than other brands made of opaque plastics with whatever colors on top.

► Metal (M) finish - This is a foiled material for imitating fish scales, and it's solid or opaque, not translucent. When you want a mirror-like reflectivity, the Metal finish may be the one for you.

► Mat finish - Non-glossy or flat finish that does not lose color intensity by reflecting light. Mat finishes will emit strong flashes of the painted-on mat colors as they move and roll

GS: Guanium-Smoke Finish
SG: Super Ghost Finish
P: Phantom Finish

► HT - Half Tone; often with a metal top half (shoulder foiling with translucent back) and GP bottom half
► II - Second variation, typically more elaborate markings than the first. Not to be confused with IL
► IL - Illusion finish which I assume (not entirely certain) is a clear holographic effect.
► Ito - Colors partly named after Megabass founder and designer, Yuki Ito
► OB - Orange belly. Also CB - chartreuse belly. RB - red belly.
► Wagin - Japanese for Silver. Wakin - Japanese for Gold.
► Wakasagi - a purple-hued baitfish in Japan, responsible for many Megabass colors having purplish hues. Hasu, Oikawa, Ayu also refer to Japan's native baitfish
► WO - without OB

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm

man ... did i ever need this primer on colors or what?

thanks. :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Posting to tag for future reference awesome explanation thank you :)

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am

Wow... :P

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 am

there is also

MG- metal ghost, which is a translucent version of the solid M-metal

AL- aluminum I believe, which is even more reflective than the M

LZ- lazer? it is in the saltwater baits

I am sure we are missing some, but I cant think of any more at the moment

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 am

Steve, great post. Thanks!

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 am

steve1206 wrote:► Guanium Ghost finish (GG) - is one of the most popular Megabass finishes. It's used in order to apply guanine, a natural substance found in fish scales that causes reflection on fish scales. Combined with the fine etched scale lines molded into the plastic, it gives convincingly realistic baitfish flesh look to Megabass baits.

► Guanium Phantom finish (GP) - Whereas Guanium Ghost (GG) applies guanine over a colored bait, the Guanium Phantom (GP) finish is the same effect of applying Guanium finish over a translucent bait without coloring applied to the bait.

► Neon Core finish (NC) - Basically the GP finish, but with the GP applied on a flat reflective panel that's housed lengthwise inside of the baits. The flat panel will send a much larger reflection than off the round body surface.

► Pearl Mica (PM) finish - This is representative of Megabass' opaque (solid) color finishes. But bear in mind, all Megabass baits (except BONE colors) are made starting with clear plastic, so even non-Guanium finishes (such as PM and other solid colors) do not block light completely. All Megabass baits allow some light to come through the bodies, making the colors more vivid than other brands made of opaque plastics with whatever colors on top.

► Metal (M) finish - This is a foiled material for imitating fish scales, and it's solid or opaque, not translucent. When you want a mirror-like reflectivity, the Metal finish may be the one for you.

► Mat finish - Non-glossy or flat finish that does not lose color intensity by reflecting light. Mat finishes will emit strong flashes of the painted-on mat colors as they move and roll

GS: Guanium-Smoke Finish
SG: Super Ghost Finish
P: Phantom Finish

► HT - Half Tone; often with a metal top half (shoulder foiling with translucent back) and GP bottom half
► II - Second variation, typically more elaborate markings than the first. Not to be confused with IL
► IL - Illusion finish which I assume (not entirely certain) is a clear holographic effect.
► Ito - Colors partly named after Megabass founder and designer, Yuki Ito
► OB - Orange belly. Also CB - chartreuse belly. RB - red belly.
► Wagin - Japanese for Silver. Wakin - Japanese for Gold.
► Wakasagi - a purple-hued baitfish in Japan, responsible for many Megabass colors having purplish hues. Hasu, Oikawa, Ayu also refer to Japan's native baitfish
► WO - without OB

Just so we give credit where credit is due, this list is from Russ the Bassdozer, so unless steve is russ we should cite it...

http://bassdozerstore.blogspot.com/2013 ... olors.html

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am

Yeah, but that guy SUCKS.

Actually I like that guy's site. i look up to people who have managed to take leading and influential roles in the bass fishing industry, even minor ones, having to drive a boat around 330 days a year.

*cough* :lol:

I am also guessing, based on other writing on that site, that Mr. Bassdozer did not pull that extremely detailed, compelling and hyperbolic bit of prose off himself, either. So basically he stole and then he lied to Steve. Who got hurt, and in good conscious, could not give credit where credit was not due.

Maybe Mr. Bulldozer asked Rick Clunn.

It's all good Steve...but I will be really disappointed if it turns out you did not invent, as you maintain, both the Senkos and the Hula Popper. My kids idolize you and stuff. ;). I want to believe that you and Skeet Reese came up with those designs together, and didn't take the ideas of others. :lol:

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 am

WoodT wrote:Yeah, but that guy SUCKS.

Actually I like that guy's site. i look up to people who have managed to take leading and influential roles in the bass fishing industry, even minor ones, having to drive a boat around 330 days a year.

*cough* :lol:

I am also guessing, based on other writing on that site, that Mr. Bassdozer did not pull that extremely detailed, compelling and hyperbolic bit of prose off himself, either. So basically he stole and then he lied to Steve. Who got hurt, and in good conscious, could not give credit where credit was not due.

Maybe Mr. Bulldozer asked Rick Clunn.

It's all good Steve...but I will be really disappointed if it turns out you did not invent, as you maintain, both the Senkos and the Hula Popper. My kids idolize you and stuff. ;). I want to believe that you and Skeet Reese came up with those designs together, and didn't take the ideas of others. :lol:
wood, your sarcasm runs so thick Im drowning in it :lol:

sorry, i have had proper citation smashed deeply into my conscious and subconscious, particularly if it is published, whether on a blog or not, russ spent quite a bit of time on that article im sure

the way bassdozer's list reads it certainly sounds like something Masaaki-san or his son Yuskei could have written, so you could very well be right that he plagiarized that as well

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 am

It's all good all around (though I do think Steve is a good guy and shares good info, often).

I think we can all agree (except for the Canadians *) that there are rarely new and truly original ideas in fishing. and those that actually have them....would probably not be posting in this forum. :lol:

We all "stand on the shoulders of giants," as Juice Newton once sang, as she credited most of her personal success to her predecessors. **

* this was a joke. mostly.

** I know Juice Newton didn't say this. Wayne Newton said it.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 pm

DUZBASS wrote:

Just so we give credit where credit is due, this list is from Russ the Bassdozer, so unless steve is russ we should cite it...

Its all good...not looking for credit. I simply used Google...then cut and paste from multiple websites

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm

WoodT wrote:

We all "stand on the shoulders of giants," as Juice Newton once sang, as she credited most of her personal success to her predecessors. **

** I know Juice Newton didn't say this. Wayne Newton said it.
I think it was actually the Fig Newton inventor, but I digress...

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:38 pm

steve1206 wrote:
DUZBASS wrote:

Its all good...not looking for credit. I simply used Google...then cut and paste from multiple websites
no worries ;)