ABU Revo LTZ AE-74 Abu's factory BFS weapon.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ABU Revo LTZ AE-74 Abu's factory BFS weapon.

Post by Mcyl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 pm

ImageImage

I ordered the new Revo LTZ AE-74 it's due to arrive....when it arrives.
However pulling the trigger still can't get the monkey off my back... Must be King Kong...
So as I am waiting I am speculating. This is my assessment of its make-up so far.

Frame: stated as SW safe and heavier than the LTX (160+g) I assume its the aluminium LT frame. That's good for me since I fish SW a lot and Al frames confer a solid smooth retrieve as it tends to transfer less vibrations than Mg frames.

Spools: Comes with both a 8lb/50m and 8lb/100m spool. So similar capacities to a t3 air and a pixy comparatively
The shallow spool weighs 6.5g not sure if bearing is included but that matters little. It appears identical to the LT/LTX shallow spools and strong enough for braid ( had 10lb on one chasing barra in the past.
It's not as light as the KTF spools the t3 and supertuned alphas d.27 but more rugged.

Bearings: Abu BF-XT bearings looks to be unshielded SS bearings, possible ABEC 5. In my experience finesse micro ball bearings are superior with UL soft plastics and high resistance cranks. Luckily Hedgehog does have "AIR" bearings for this model.
It has 10 bearings as opposed to 9 in the LTX. The LTX had 5 excluding the handle the LT had 6. The difference is a BB support in the palm side levelwind. I believe this this the case with the LTZ and a big win ( the LT despite being cheaper than the LTX was an update and with my earlier supertuned LT it was smoother retrieving under load than the LTX)

Handles: appears to be the same CF handles as the LTX and MGX. However the knobs appears similar if not identical to ZPI BFC light weight knobs! I liked the EVA knobs even at a cost of having them damaged over time, I find shimanos soft knobs to be the. Mose effective, I'll update this once I have used it.

Brakes: This to me is the most intriguing part. With reels that were supertuned for BFS, I found that the brakes were set close to max for magnetic brakes ( Alphas R + MB is finesse) and close to minimum for centrifugal brakes ( Conquest 50s, Ald/mg with shallow spools and centrifugal brakes.) gave the easiest control. In the case of the AE74 it's advertised as having retuned the brakes so that the middle setting is optimised as the standard for light lures with max brake leaning towards casting and minimum leaning to pitching. If this is true this is a great feature as most BFS reels I have used extensively allows little adjustment in one direction). When I have a chance to see the actually magnet alignment it would be of interest to see whether it resembles the LT or the ZPI BFC pro 930 ( Zpi's tuned LTX)

Gear set: the Ae74 is equipped with a 8.0:1 gear ratio retrieving an advertised 83cm per turn. As there are other JDM Revos with 8:1 ratio ( and the LTX ) I don't believe it's a special part for this reel.

Appearance: the LTZ AE74 appears to have a glossy black paint unlike the MGX/LTX matte coating, hence scratches will show up more but the upside is that the gloss coats tend to be most durable on Abu reels. However most importantly of all, gone is that ugly Revo LT yellow/brown color! If loved that LT but hated the color so much...the lengths I went to remove it....
Apart from that, AG placed yellow stripes on it like a modern day Xman and a cut out handle shaft plate resembling the original Morrum AE74. The other personal negative point is the continued use of the standard Abu star drag.

Weight: the AE74 equipped with an Al frame and CF handles is advertised as weighing 163g, the LTX with Mg frame and CF handles 152g, LT with Al frame and Al handle weighs in at 174g. So the AE74 weighing in at the middle is logical. My problem is whether it will balance on a 7'8" 128g inshore BFS rod.

AE-74 moniker: the original AE74 was an Abu Morrum supertuned by ZPI, as this reel was release long before yours truly started angling, I don't know if the AE74 moniker is exclusive to ZPI tunes or its an Abu designation. The only ZPI component I can see is the knobs.

Performance hypothesis: Judging by its spool and bearings it will not be the ultimate performer in super light casting e.g a trout hook with a 1" soft plastic. Superior casting reels that come to mind is the ZPI BFC 732 (Zpi's aldebaran tune with 6.5g spool and micro ball bb), the ZPI BFC 930 pro with its narrowed spool ceramic bb, the KTF Alphas D.27 (if one can be found)and of course the T3 air with its fancy line guide, movable inductor, micro BB, micro gearing and a 5.6 g spool.

What it is however is the combination of the best features in the REVO LT series with dual bearing supported levelwind, SW capable Al frame, a CF handle and possible a dedicated finesse tune. The inclusion of two spools opens up to many possibilities, imagine casting to a school of fish feeding on a bait ball with 35m of 8lb FC only to be spooled. Out comes the "Deep" spool with 125yds of 15lb/26lb true BS PE (*) top shotted with 10m of 20lb leader.... Revenge time! It might even be possible to fit the JDM Revo power crank 5 spool on for even greater capacities.

* possible with my favourite line http://paulusjustfishing.com/catalog.htm#1

In conjunction with a swim bait length BFS salty stage rod I have high expectations of the Revo LTZ AE74 in the sea as well as on the lakes. Whether these expectations are met will be seen as this reel will be put to direct hands on comparisons with several other finesse reels both stock and supertuned.

Stay tuned for the review and comparison.

grewia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: ABU Revo LTZ AE-74 Abu's factory BFS weapon.

Post by grewia » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Very interesting preliminary evaluation. Can't wait to read more.

BTW, you state: 125yds of 15lb/26lb true BS PE. What is this exactly as I can find no reference of such in the "*" link you provided.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm surprised Abu didn't photoshop the pictures to hide the gaps in the assembly a bit more. My pet hate about my two Aurora Elites is the poor build quality and finish of the cast frame. When Abu can match that with the two big names they may once again become a contender in the "elite" reel race.
I hope it performs to your expectations.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 pm

grewia wrote:Very interesting preliminary evaluation. Can't wait to read more.

BTW, you state: 125yds of 15lb/26lb true BS PE. What is this exactly as I can find no reference of such in the "*" link you provided.
http://paulusjustfishing.com/catalog.htm#1

Not wanting to sound like I am sponsored by them, but the Tasline All white and All white hollows are the great lines.
Paulus's site under "braid testing" reveals a lot about braid too. Enjoy

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 pm

aussiebasser wrote:I'm surprised Abu didn't photoshop the pictures to hide the gaps in the assembly a bit more. My pet hate about my two Aurora Elites is the poor build quality and finish of the cast frame. When Abu can match that with the two big names they may once again become a contender in the "elite" reel race.
I hope it performs to your expectations.
Or match the paint. =D
They are decent performers at are decent price point. I don't see them as an enthusiast reel mfg.
That said however, on paper this reel ticks all my boxes.
Hi Dale, I wanted to hit you up with Barra advice all through the server crash period. !

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 am

My LTZ arrived today. I've only used it about an hour but I am very impressed. The mag brake is definitely different than the LTX, totalally different number and configuration. This thing cast the light jigs I throw amazingly well. I do very little lpitching but I could pitch a panfish jig that weighed right at 4 gr with no problem, it seemed like the reel could go much lighter. I might even have to bass fish a little this summer, but for now the white bass are in the river and thats where I'm headed. I wish the American marketers for Purefishing would put mag brake, small spool, and finesse in their vocabulary. One thing I have done is convert my Centrifugal brake Revo's to a mag brake, you only have to change a couple parts, I like them much better, the flying arm brake just doesn't handle light baits like the mag.For about $10 my MGX became an LTX.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 am

Mcyl wrote:
grewia wrote:Very interesting preliminary evaluation. Can't wait to read more.

http://paulusjustfishing.com/catalog.htm#1

Not wanting to sound like I am sponsored by them, but the Tasline All white and All white hollows are the great lines.
Paulus's site under "braid testing" reveals a lot about braid too. Enjoy
Second on the Tasline. All White is my go to line now I was hooked on my first spool. The 6 and 8 strand stuff is silky smooth amazing line. I've tried dozens of different braids and nothing compares. I have it on every reel now and just use FC leaders when necessary.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 pm

On my BFS topshot rig the braid only come out after 35-50m of fluoro so smoothness isn't that big issue, more so poundage to diameter. I've been rigging with Tasline SAS braid 6lb lately. It's scary how much could be backed on.

strathy
Angler
Angler

Post by strathy » Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 am

These sound to be the perfect reel for the fishing I want to do.
Who,s the best people to get one from ? I,ve been trying to source an LT and its shallow spool for saltwater fishing, but I seem to keep having problems with Japanese sites. Maybe they don,t want to deal with the UK.
Whats the 7' 8" rod you,re going to use MCYL, sounds like what I,m after. I can only find Majorcrafts to 6' 9" available to the UK and I,d really like one over 7'.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 am

The rod is an abu salty stage KR-X
I have a volkey 6'9" to fall back on in case this rod proves too long.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:14 am

reviving an old thread to see if there were any updates or more reviews. also, are the BF bearings really marked like this?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:53 am

21farms wrote:reviving an old thread to see if there were any updates or more reviews. also, are the BF bearings really marked like this?
The bearings in mine don't have the Abu Garcia mark, but they are open faced. I think they are zpis

carl-c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carl-c » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:19 am

I've been looking at one of these also. Can't wait to hear a full review.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 am

Don't let the nay sayers dampen your enthusiasm. The LTZ really throws light stuff amazingly well.