Any reviews on the Megabass xx Extreme Mission????

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any reviews on the Megabass xx Extreme Mission????

Post by Black Haze » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:24 am

I was seriously thinking about picking one up for pitching mostly 1/2 ounce jigs and plastics....Has anyone spent much time fishing with one? thoughts? sensitivity? balance ect?? I like the specs on the rod....How does it compare to other high end rods?? thanks, Bill

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any reviews on the Megabass xx Extreme Mission????

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:39 am

Black Haze wrote:I was seriously thinking about picking one up for pitching mostly 1/2 ounce jigs and plastics....Has anyone spent much time fishing with one? thoughts? sensitivity? balance ect?? I like the specs on the rod....How does it compare to other high end rods?? thanks, Bill
I use the EMTF mostly for plastics and I have landed 10-15 fish only, season only started a week. Largest being 4 lbs or so...Balance is superb, more balanced than nrx893. Sensitivity is great but not as sensitive as my NRX, I'd say on par with my zbone or dx. Great rod, I have 4 now.

I pair it with a steez 103 hla and 16lb Sunline shooter. I put my alphas on it with 30lb sx1 and the sensitivity was amazing.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Black Haze wrote:I was seriously thinking about picking one up for pitching mostly 1/2 ounce jigs and plastics....Has anyone spent much time fishing with one? thoughts? sensitivity? balance ect?? I like the specs on the rod....How does it compare to other high end rods?? thanks, Bill
I use the EMTF mostly for plastics and I have landed 10-15 fish only, season only started a week. Largest being 4 lbs or so...Balance is superb, more balanced than nrx893. Sensitivity is great but not as sensitive as my NRX, I'd say on par with my zbone or dx. Great rod, I have 4 now.

I pair it with a steez 103 hla and 16lb Sunline shooter. I put my alphas on it with 30lb sx1 and the sensitivity was amazing.
i'm interested in the mission type f as well...i'm curious, how far off is the sensitivity difference in ur opinion btwn the nrx and xx?

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm

I've had mine since the TW Memorial Day sale. I've only used the rod for skinny dippers with weighted EWG hooks. The rod balances quite well for a 7'5" rod with my Zillion Type R on it (although I'm using it for a tip down presentation). I would agree that the sensitivity is on par with Dobyns DX rods but I think my Z Bones are a little more sensitive. I would fish bottom contact lures with it without hesitation. I don't think I'd fish any jigs with it heavier than 1/2 oz. It feels similar to a DX744 as far as power goes.

The one thing that sets this rod apart from others is how nice it's built. The wraps are great, epoxy work is clean, the guides are straight, etc. There is a little filler in the cork, but that's cork these days.

I actually sold my X4 Destruction to get this rod and I like it A LOT better that the Destruction for my application.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:38 am

Thought I would bring up an older thread here and see what the reviews would be like now...

I am looking to buy 1 more combo before opener up here and it is between the DX744 and the EMTF. As I already know what to expect from the DX744, I am just wondering what a season on the water made people think about the EMTF.

Adam

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:50 am

One is forthcoming by TT reviewer.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:00 am

lape0019 wrote:Thought I would bring up an older thread here and see what the reviews would be like now...

I am looking to buy 1 more combo before opener up here and it is between the DX744 and the EMTF. As I already know what to expect from the DX744, I am just wondering what a season on the water made people think about the EMTF.

Adam
I've fished mine a few times and it is by far my favorite rod. I have it paired with a T3 and it balances great, right before the reel lock down. I mainly use mine for large paddle tail plastics, super spooks, 1/2 oz spoons, 5-7" plastic jerk baits and even popping corks. So far I have not found a thing it doesn't do well. Sadly I haven't caught anything of size on it yet though(it will make a small red or speckled trout water ski in a hurry though)

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:15 am

The balance on this series of rods are perfect as well as the build quality. The thing I like the most is the look of the blank. There's just something about the beauty of the cross weaving carbon pattern that just makes it look and feel special.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Fishes 5/16 oz jig and trailer just fine as well: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... =late+fall

Spinnerbaits, swimbjigs and frogs upwards of 1oz will be fine as well on this rod.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 am

I have both the EMTF and the DX744. Both are very nice rods. It depends what is more important to you for which is better.
To me the 744 balances better but the EMTF is more sensitive. They are both very versital rods. I feel the EMTF handles 3/4oz + baits better.

Something else to consider, Dobyns warranty vs Megabass warranty

So to me, overall its a tie.

Reels i have used on both rods - Antares DC, T3B, Lews TP and Alphas Ito. The Lews felt better on the Dobyns and the T3B felt better on the EMTF

So overall you can't lose with either but the EMTF,if nothing else, is cooler :lol:

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks for the info so far and I look forward to the upcoming release of an EMTF review from TT.

If anyone else can provide what other techniques they use this rod for, it would be great.

To tell you the truth, the warranty of Dobyns was what kept me there over other xx rods but after buying the Jerkbait special, I have really got to thinking about another one.
I currently have a DX743 and a DX745 so rounding it out with a DX744 makes sense, but if the EMTF is more versatile and more sensitive, it may be the new rod for me.

Luckily, I still have a few months to decide.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 pm

EMTF and a 7'4" Zombie MH are the only FACTORY rods I have purchase in the last dozen...which have been nearly 100% custom.

I just sold the 7'4" Zombie and from my initial usage of the EMTF, it will stay in my arsenal for a long time.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 am

I have been fishing mine since June of last year. I really like the rod alot. Out of the dozens of rods I own it is the only one I would consider getting a duplicate of. Any baits from 1/4 to 3/4 oz ounces the rod will handle. As others have stated you can probably go close to the 1 ounce range (3/4 oz jig plus trailer) and be just fine. I bought mine specifically to fish jigs in the 3/8 -1/2 oz range plus trailer which the rod does very well at. It also fishes spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, small sized soft body swimbaits, light to moderate frogging, Texas rigged plastics, and a variety of weightless soft plastics equally as well. I don't crank much so I can't comment there.

Outside of the cork filler, it is not a rod that has ever left me wanting more performance.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for the info Fishin4fun,

That is great to hear and was the info I was looking for. I would love to hear if anyone has cranked with DD's but I am not holding my breath here.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi there,

I am considereing the EXTREME MISSION TYPE: F as well atm.

My areas of use would be:

small- medium sized crankbaits and Spinnerbaits.

Any experience with this rod for those applications?

Thanks!