T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

Post by BRbasser » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 am

I would buy the FX68 and the SV spool. I have all three t3 reels and I think the build quality of the FX68 is superior to the others.

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 am

Mcyl wrote:I'm guessing wait times for an FX68L wouldn't be any shorter right?
The FX68L has been available for quite some time now and still is on rakuten.

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:54 am

BRbasser wrote:I would buy the FX68 and the SV spool. I have all three t3 reels and I think the build quality of the FX68 is superior to the others.
Is the fx68 clear sideplate uses the same material as the one on alphas ito?

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:52 am

I don't know if it is the same material because I have never had a Alphas ITO.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:07 am

BRbasser wrote:I don't know if it is the same material because I have never had a Alphas ITO.
That's a worry, the smaller parts of the Ironsides side plate cracked easily.

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

Just a quick question for any of you who own this reel. Does that demarcation on the side wall of the SV spool indicate where the spool should be filled too? It is referred to in the manual as having some significance but unfortunately I can not read nor translate Japanese. I have just received mine today and feel like I may have overspooled it a bit. Was hoping maybe someone could help me out. Thank you guys in advance, Much appreciated!

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am

Nevrsumma wrote:Just a quick question for any of you who own this reel. Does that demarcation on the side wall of the SV spool indicate where the spool should be filled too? It is referred to in the manual as having some significance but unfortunately I can not read nor translate Japanese. I have just received mine today and feel like I may have overspooled it a bit. Was hoping maybe someone could help me out. Thank you guys in advance, Much appreciated!
The first line indicates capacity if you are casting lighter lures with the reel (i.e. finesse). If you are casting heavier lures, you can fill the spool as normal.

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am

After finally getting this reel dialed in and spooled up properly I was able to get some solid hours in on the water. My Initial Impression is This is one amazing reel. The SV spool paired with the Mag 3D is just incredible together. It just absolutely launches whatever is tied on the end if the line. For comparison, throwing an unweighted 5" senko this reel in stock configuration is easily outdistancing my Ito with orange seal 7's, Steez 103 with Hedgehog Air Bearings, Calais 200DC, MGX with Orange seals, ect. Not to mention that it is doing so with almost zero fuss. I'm sure the Calais will prevail with heavier weights but for middle range weights this reel just flat out rocks. I got mine for a great price on Auttermall and so far couldn't be happier with performance and feel. As others have said, it is tough to put this reel down once you start using it. It is just a fun reel to throw.

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm

I spool 20lbs braid on the t3sv anf paied with 7ft8 rod over weekend fishing. As fedback by a lot others, sv spool is really a beast. I was bombing 14g rubber frog into far weedy spot where the boat cant go. I love the 3D brake adjustment. When the wind pick up I just switch to all round. When I need to do a bit of skipping (still trying to do it properly) then its max brake setting. Dun even need to touch the cast tension or brake dial.

I am gonna drop the t3 sv spool into the td ito next week to try it out. The ito spool is way too wild for me to tame it :(