T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
leolwt13
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

Post by leolwt13 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 am

Im pretty impressed by my dealer he offered to take the reel and get a replacement from daiwa. I guess after taking a look at the pics i sent he was pretty confident. My reel is on its way to japan.

Not a big deal to affect the reel's performance in any way but its quite an eyesore to be looked at. For the price paid and my experiences with quite a fair number of reels purchased thru the years this is a first. My pals were pretty shocked too n have doubts about the Thailand factory.
In terms of poor finishing this part of the reel ranks ahead of my revo stx gen1. Hope this is like 1/100 pcs or lower odds of happening to yal here.

But back to reel. Im pretty confident that it is a casting machine. I only held a T3 a couple of times at a shop but vaguely recall the paintjob doesnt feel as metallic as this. But the matte black finishing may be scratched whenever u open the side plate to clean its pretty ez for the nails to scratch as time goes on coz the small button requires some force to open unlike the ease of the new metanium.

The tip n underside of the hood seems to catch pe line coating pretty easily, i can imagine the amount of scum it picks up n durability of the line maybe issues of concern. Anyway this reels was better rated for mono n fluro use from the info i gathered on the web.
I did not have a clue about the spool ratings since they stated a range but it is more than i expected. Loaded a full 150m of pe1.2 famell reisin sheller. I usually spool w pe rating of 1.5 or higher for my bigger reels, since this was intended for ligher game. Thats how it lookd without backing.

Just some initial thoughts side by side with the metanium. The metanium is a much easier reel to cast under all conditions imo coz there are alot less settings and each adjustment is more forgiving than the SV. Im stil at the beginning curve of the mag3d n can feel the huge potential ofSV over metanium. It definitely takes alot less effort....the low end casting weight should be better w SV too. I have only a couple of hrs play.

Both reels have their advantages so id like to keep them both. If daiwa comes out with a z1016 made in japan compact ver of big bro this reel will have no place. The wait was ever so long thats why i cudnt resist having a go at the SV.

Anyone who owns a T3 have any views on the difference with SV? Your experience with both will definitely shed better light on this reel's performance. Thks in advance if u do.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

I haven't have any issues but they should have put that bar in front of the spool to keep the line off the frame from the get go. Wonder if the MB T3 has that??

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:38 am

leolwt13 wrote:Im pretty impressed by my dealer he offered to take the reel and get a replacement from daiwa. I guess after taking a look at the pics i sent he was pretty confident. My reel is on its way to japan.

Not a big deal to affect the reel's performance in any way but its quite an eyesore to be looked at. For the price paid and my experiences with quite a fair number of reels purchased thru the years this is a first. My pals were pretty shocked too n have doubts about the Thailand factory.
In terms of poor finishing this part of the reel ranks ahead of my revo stx gen1. Hope this is like 1/100 pcs or lower odds of happening to yal here.

But back to reel. Im pretty confident that it is a casting machine. I only held a T3 a couple of times at a shop but vaguely recall the paintjob doesnt feel as metallic as this. But the matte black finishing may be scratched whenever u open the side plate to clean its pretty ez for the nails to scratch as time goes on coz the small button requires some force to open unlike the ease of the new metanium.

The tip n underside of the hood seems to catch pe line coating pretty easily, i can imagine the amount of scum it picks up n durability of the line maybe issues of concern. Anyway this reels was better rated for mono n fluro use from the info i gathered on the web.
I did not have a clue about the spool ratings since they stated a range but it is more than i expected. Loaded a full 150m of pe1.2 famell reisin sheller. I usually spool w pe rating of 1.5 or higher for my bigger reels, since this was intended for ligher game. Thats how it lookd without backing.

Just some initial thoughts side by side with the metanium. The metanium is a much easier reel to cast under all conditions imo coz there are alot less settings and each adjustment is more forgiving than the SV. Im stil at the beginning curve of the mag3d n can feel the huge potential ofSV over metanium. It definitely takes alot less effort....the low end casting weight should be better w SV too. I have only a couple of hrs play.

Both reels have their advantages so id like to keep them both. If daiwa comes out with a z1016 made in japan compact ver of big bro this reel will have no place. The wait was ever so long thats why i cudnt resist having a go at the SV.

Anyone who owns a T3 have any views on the difference with SV? Your experience with both will definitely shed better light on this reel's performance. Thks in advance if u do.
Could you explain what the problem is? Is it what appears to be a ripple along the edge of the frame near the spool?

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 am

SWH wrote:I meant to say 'someone' and not me. Just found it on YouTube.

He casts around 72 to 78 meter with an 18 gram plug - or so - on a 7'8 MH MC Volkey. First number is with 0.15 mm PP braid and second Mono line of some sort.
What is a 7-8 MC Volkey Rod?---Brand?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:21 am

E73Bass wrote:
SWH wrote:I meant to say 'someone' and not me. Just found it on YouTube.

He casts around 72 to 78 meter with an 18 gram plug - or so - on a 7'8 MH MC Volkey. First number is with 0.15 mm PP braid and second Mono line of some sort.
What is a 7-8 MC Volkey Rod?---Brand?
Volkeys are made by Majorcraft. 7'8"...guessing its from the Over 7 series. Or big lake custom

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

For guys that have used the SV.... just wondering... how low can you go?
the one I played with was mounted on on a m powered rod so I never went full BFS on it but it threw 1/8oz jig + 3inch gulp shads easily on a 10-17# 7' rod.
I was wondering if anyone put it on say a volkey or a kaleido and tried lower weights?

I know the spool is 10g+ but I had a feeling it can go down lower.

leolwt13
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by leolwt13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes Johnny A its the ripple like uneven edges of the body just off the edge of the spool. Its absent on the left edge. It wud drop the resale value further down the road n since Marunouchi took a look at it n offered to replace the reel and send it back to daiwa for a replacement id go along with it. Further down the road if i were to sell it i wouldnt have to reduce the resale value for the aestheric defect.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:29 pm

leolwt13 wrote:Yes Johnny A its the ripple like uneven edges of the body just off the edge of the spool. Its absent on the left edge. It wud drop the resale value further down the road n since Marunouchi took a look at it n offered to replace the reel and send it back to daiwa for a replacement id go along with it. Further down the road if i were to sell it i wouldnt have to reduce the resale value for the aestheric defect.
thanks for confirming

j

leolwt13
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by leolwt13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Don't mention mate. A big thumbs up for Marunouchi. Excellent level of professionalism i must say.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 am

leolwt13 wrote:Don't mention mate. A big thumbs up for Marunouchi. Excellent level of professionalism i must say.
X2.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:02 am

Johnny A wrote:Had the above noted reel out for about 5 hours on the local lake. Throwing a 6" Berkley Lizard on an Owner 3/0 wide gap hook on 19lb Defier. MB Super Orochi rounded out the combo. Excuse the brand pimping, only for comparison purposes.
It took about 10 casts to calibrate "Long Cast" setting. A few light overruns in the beginning but once the cast control knob was set, it was easy, effortless casting. The shallow spool held enough line and then some.
There were no fish over 2 lbs, so drag wasn't tested. I may move up to 22lb test and use as a pitchin' reel.
"All Around" setting for about an hour or so, Smally Beaver' no weight, 3/0 hook. One cast to calibrate (overrun :whistle: ), then beautiful, no problems. Really enjoying the SV. Now for a couple of toads to test the drag and we'll really be cookin' with gas!

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 am

Ready to order one of these but would appreciate thoughts from owners about line capacity. I would use 16 lb flour. Thanks for help.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:09 pm

bassm1n wrote:Ready to order one of these but would appreciate thoughts from owners about line capacity. I would use 16 lb flour. Thanks for help.
Still torn between one of these or a FX68 + SV spool

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Plat has the FX68 on "clearance sale" right now - $388 USD.
Seem like a really good price.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 am

bassm1n wrote:Ready to order one of these but would appreciate thoughts from owners about line capacity. I would use 16 lb flour. Thanks for help.
I believe the FX68 and T3 SV has the same line capacity, and a 16 lbs. FC is aprox. 0.33 mm based on Tatsu. I spooled mine with PE #1.5 equal to 6 or 8 lbs. Tatsu, and it holds aprox. 100 m.

You'd get maybe 50 meters?