Carbon Fiber Swept Handles at Hedgehog Studios

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Carbon Fiber Swept Handles at Hedgehog Studios

Post by Farnorth » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

The Avail red and Hedgehog red look the same on my parts. Avail Gunmetal is more silver than the Hedgehog which is a darker grey.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm assuming that the swept handles for Shimano you'll need the addition of the after market drag star in order for the handle to fit?

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:24 am

bassninja wrote:I'm assuming that the swept handles for Shimano you'll need the addition of the after market drag star in order for the handle to fit?
yes, here's the blurb from the avail web page:
Compatibility
This handle is for SHIMANO reel.
※You need to replace the genuine star-shaped drag with the Hedgehog's Carbon Star Drag or Avail star-shaped drag to attach the item, because the bent point of the handle hits the drag without replacing.
semper-fi's swept handles for shimano gets around this with a carbon fiber spacer washer that is installed on the crankshaft right under the handle.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 am

21farms wrote:
bassninja wrote:I'm assuming that the swept handles for Shimano you'll need the addition of the after market drag star in order for the handle to fit?
yes, here's the blurb from the avail web page:
Compatibility
This handle is for SHIMANO reel.
※You need to replace the genuine star-shaped drag with the Hedgehog's Carbon Star Drag or Avail star-shaped drag to attach the item, because the bent point of the handle hits the drag without replacing.
semper-fi's swept handles for shimano gets around this with a carbon fiber spacer washer that is installed on the crankshaft right under the handle.
I guess we will find out when mine gets here. I ordered a core50mg which should get here tomorrow and I'll test it out on that.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 am

I put in my order for one of these handles last week. I received it today and decided to throw it on my jdm t3-1016 reel that I recently purchased. It looks pretty badass if you ask me. Reminds me of the alphas-R edition handle and how beautiful it was. As for the reel to the right, it's only a PIXZILLA!!!!!! I decided to swap out the semper-fi handle on my pixzilla with the handle on the t3 since it was thinner and just matches the pixzilla better. As far as the hedgehog studios carbon fiber handles, I'm looking to buy a few more now to go with probably my t3 ballistic or even my calcutta 50te gt reel.

On another note, I swapped out the bearings in my pixzilla to the hedgehog AIR bearings. Can't wait to see how low of a weight I can cast with this reel.

Anyways, enjoy the pics below:

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 am

Did you get the BFS Air bearings or just the Air bearings?

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 am

lpquick wrote:Did you get the BFS Air bearings or just the Air bearings?
I got the BFS air bearings. I didn't see a reason to buy the AIR bearings since the heaviest weight I'll be throwing on my pixy is no more than 1/4oz.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 am

Since the Pixy isn’t new to you, I’m very interested in your take of the BFS Air bearings versus whatever you’ve used previously, thanks for sharing.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:33 am

lpquick wrote:Since the Pixy isn’t new to you, I’m very interested in your take of the BFS Air bearings versus whatever you’ve used previously, thanks for sharing.
I'll be doing some fishing this weekend with the pixy and I'll let you know how these bearings go.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 am

beezy wrote:
lpquick wrote:Since the Pixy isn’t new to you, I’m very interested in your take of the BFS Air bearings versus whatever you’ve used previously, thanks for sharing.
I'll be doing some fishing this weekend with the pixy and I'll let you know how these bearings go.
So give us a rundown on those BFS Air Bearings :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 am

vinnieb729 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
vinnieb729 wrote:The drag stars are great, I have 4...The are not Avail, they are Hedgehog Studios...maybe like these handles??
I know the type A dragstars are from Avail because when I ordered one the said they had to get it from Avail first.
I meant to say the carbon fiber drag stars. http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/737

You're right though, the all metal Type A and B are Avail (I have one of those too and had to wait a couple extra days for Hedgehog to get it in)

It's also worth noting that the Avail drag star colors aren't a perfect match to the Hedgehog reel goodies. The carbon drag stars are a perfect match color wise (since it's their own brand).
Avail gold is more of a champaign and the orange is too orange to match up with Hedgehog gold.
Avail Navy doesn't match Hedgehog sapphire blue or deep purple.
Avail purple kinda matches Hedgehog royal purple.
I don't know about Avail red.
How far apart are the avail navy and hedgehog deep purple? They look pretty close

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:02 am

For those that have the 13 Metanium: do these carbon handles fit without extra accessories?
Bought one on a whim and unsure if extra spacers are needed.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am

Can you use either of the stock size Daiwa nut retainers with the carbon handles? They say med size on their site.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:57 am

igl00jx wrote:For those that have the 13 Metanium: do these carbon handles fit without extra accessories?
Bought one on a whim and unsure if extra spacers are needed.
Came in today and fits without the need for extra spacers.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:22 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: How far apart are the avail navy and hedgehog deep purple? They look pretty close
X2
Anyone have both? I have deep purple parts(my fav hedgehog color), wondering if the navy parts will match.

*I've sent requests to hedgehog to make drag stars & spools in deep purple. If you guys like that color too, send em a request. Maybe if enough of us ask for it...