Reel for my first Megabass rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel for my first Megabass rod

Post by MontaKen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:26 am

eyra_kid wrote:
the Daiwa bbs has a fixed inductor so it isn't going to get the distance you may want (also the TT review of it was not in favor of the reel :?)

I did see the TT review on the BBS, which kind of turned me off on it. Is the TDZ BBS the same frame as a TD-Z 103/105H?
I think that light swimbaits (like a FLT Garison, Zillva 160, DEPS Silent Killer Jr and SK175, Gan Craft jointed claw 178...) don't need a 300 size reel, perhaps even a 200 size one.. they show less resistance during the retrieve than a 14ft deep crankbait and bigger soft swimbaits in 3-4oz size share less resistance than them.. And I think that 85-90 yards of 20lb on spool are enough too.

The BBS share the TD-Z 100ML US Trail frame, similar to the Zillion one.. It's a magnesium reel with brass gears, 150% stronger than original TD-Z gears, 90mm handle and a stock nice carbon drag..
I usually really love TT reviews, but I don't agree with BBS one, except for the casting performance of the stock spool.. It has been reviewed too many years after its presentation, comparing it with its stronger (but 35g heavier) "evolution" (Zillion)....for me, it performs nicely for some applications and changing the spool make it very interesting also for smaller lures ;)

on my Black Jungle Deep Cranking & Slow Rolling, esthetically identical to your PV, I've now a TD-Z 103ML with a Steez 100 spool, a 95mm Lew's carbon handle (thanks to Tackle Trap) and gold & purple accents..maybe I'll paint it matte black =P~
..and I retrieve Norman DD22s with it ;) :big grin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tothdb9nvivv4 ... pp1%29.jpg

got2be5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by got2be5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 pm

eyra_kid wrote:
got2be5 wrote:Gotta a great deal on a BBS tossed in 100(tdz) spool.Now my go to set up (6" hudds,baby wakes,6" bait smiths etc.
hope this helps ( ihave mine loaded with 15# mono)
Those are basically the baits I will be throwing. 1-3 ounces. But I also plan to use it for other things if the swimbait bite is not going. Jigs, bigger spinnerbaits and topwaters, etc. Hence the reason for my rod choice. I was tired of carrying around a dedicated swimbait rod just in case I decided to throw it. I wanted a rod that would handle my swimbaits, but I could use it for other purposes also. 20lb mono is my choice for swimbaits and it will work for just about anything else, unless I throw a frog.

What is the capacity on that TDZ 100 spool?
!2/120 i believe.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 pm

eyra_kid wrote:What is the capacity on that TDZ 100 spool?
14 (.320) - 120 yards (110m)
16 (.340) - 100 yards (92m)
20 (.395) - 90 yards (83m)

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=2943

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:42 pm

bronzefly wrote:I can't think of a better aesthetic and performance match for the Power Versatile than the US Z200/200HL. The gold highlights on the reel look great with the rod, the gray is nice in my eyes, and the Z is just an amazing reel - US or JDM. Best of luck with your choice and I hope you enjoy the rod 8-)

This. A Z200/Z2020 completes it.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:59 pm

eyra_kid wrote:
got2be5 wrote:Gotta a great deal on a BBS tossed in 100(tdz) spool.Now my go to set up (6" hudds,baby wakes,6" bait smiths etc.
hope this helps ( ihave mine loaded with 15# mono)
Those are basically the baits I will be throwing. 1-3 ounces. But I also plan to use it for other things if the swimbait bite is not going. Jigs, bigger spinnerbaits and topwaters, etc. Hence the reason for my rod choice. I was tired of carrying around a dedicated swimbait rod just in case I decided to throw it. I wanted a rod that would handle my swimbaits, but I could use it for other purposes also. 20lb mono is my choice for swimbaits and it will work for just about anything else, unless I throw a frog.

What is the capacity on that TDZ 100 spool?
Spool is listed as 16/100 (jDM-ish 16 lb which is much smaller dia than a 20lb stren/suffix, etc.) which is the same as the Steez 100 platform. Very borderline for 20 lb mono and long casts. I use it for night fishing and it's ok for short casts but iffy on long casts or once you have broken off once or twice. I am looking for another option for larger line as well. Something like a Chronarch E is a starting point for line cap, but not quite as sexy.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:21 am

Well guys, thanks for all the input.
Appears I have a lot to think about. For some reason, the Daiwa Z200 just doesn't appeal to me, though it is a great match on that rod. Additionally, since I have a 10.5 ounce dark silver reel in the 300DSV that performs well already, so what would I really gain with the Z.
I might do some more looking at the lew's bb2Z. At 7.4 ounces with 14lb/190 that seems pretty reasonable.
The BBS with a TDZ 100M spool does seem marginal for capacity.
Anyway, I got several cold months to think about it. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:12 am

eyra_kid wrote:Well guys, thanks for all the input.
Appears I have a lot to think about. For some reason, the Daiwa Z200 just doesn't appeal to me, though it is a great match on that rod. Additionally, since I have a 10.5 ounce dark silver reel in the 300DSV that performs well already, so what would I really gain with the Z.
I might do some more looking at the lew's bb2Z. At 7.4 ounces with 14lb/190 that seems pretty reasonable.
The BBS with a TDZ 100M spool does seem marginal for capacity.
Anyway, I got several cold months to think about it. :lol:
300 DSV has more line capacity as well and is a very capable and tough reel for sure...Z is more powerful in my hands in the 6.4:1 vs the DSV and more refined.

I would also consider a Calais or the New 2012 Antares if you like LPs. The New Antares has lower line capacity, so be aware of this, but also is available in a lower gear ratio.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 am

dragon1,

I hadn't considered the Calais or Antares yet, until I saw this.

http://jpangler.com/index.php/reel/shim ... spool.html

100m/20lb would be sufficient, I think, and this should be a very long-casting reel for A-rigs and swimbaits. The only concern would be how the micro gears would handle heavier baits. Probably fine, but still pretty new gear system.

Also on the plus side, Antares is listed at 7.9 or 8 ounces, depending on source, which is right about what I wanted.

If I was strictly planning to use this rod for swimbaits (small ones at that), I would leave the 300DSV on it. But since I plan to use it for a variety of techniques, I think an ~8 ounce reel would be more appropriate and less fatiguing.

I think I'm resigned to the fact that the ideal reel in matte black doesn't exist. Yes, lpquick, performance is my foremost criteria, among other things like durability, ergonomics in my hand, etc. But since this is an enthusiast level rod, of course I also wanted something that appeals to me visually.

It's not black, but a shiny Antares might look pretty trick.

Another possibility I have considered would be a Zillion variant, considering they are such a workhorse. But I haven't spotted a
a spool with sufficient capacity yet. I know the TDZ-100M spool would drop in, but 90yds/20lb is just a little lower capacity than I'd like.

Thanks again for all the responses. Fun to talk about possibilities this time of year.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:53 am

Did you drop the bb2z or are you still considering it? I am going to see if I can find some reviews of it real quick..

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:17 am

The BB2Z is still on my short list.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Black and for small to med sized swimbaits and many techs in between:

http://japantackle.com/Daiwa/Megabass_L ... Jungle.htm

You will have to run braid or look into deeper spool options.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:34 am

Yeah, I love the looks of the LIN Black Jungle. I just don't use round reels anymore.