Anyone have any feedback on Avail shallow spools?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone have any feedback on Avail shallow spools?

Post by white84z » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 am

I've been thinking about picking up a shallow spool for my chronarch d7 but the weight on hedgehog site shows only a 1-2 gram difference in weight. Has anyone used a shallow spool for the core/metanium/chronarch ?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone have any feedback on Avail shallow spools?

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:34 am

I use shallow spools whenever I can get away with it (including spinning reels). You save extra weight (besides the spool itself) by having less line on the spool too.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:37 am

As vinnie said, the shallow spool will save you even more weight by having less line on it so that 1-2 gram difference will actually be a 4-5 gram difference (if you compared the two together when both are filled with line). I think it is worth it.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 pm

I have the avail MTO-739 shallow spool and avail mag brake kit in my d7 and it makes a great finesse reel.

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Do you think is possible to fish with 14-16lb nylon or 30-40lb braided line (with fluoro tip) with the Avail Microcast spools? for light pitching applications and fine tuning the drag..

I've just bought it for a 1501XT.. :-k

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 am

I using usually 12-14lb flouro on mine right now,even though it doesnt hold that much line it has'nt been a issue.but I would'nt use braid on these spools,since they were designed for finesse fishing with light line you wouldn;t want to damage the spool. a member on the board told me he was using 16lb toray superhard flourocarbon and pitching heavy cover with one of these spools with no issues

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 am

MontaKen wrote:Do you think is possible to fish with 14-16lb nylon or 30-40lb braided line (with fluoro tip) with the Avail Microcast spools? for light pitching applications and fine tuning the drag..

I've just bought it for a 1501XT.. :-k

of course.

however, imho, the difference in performance is much more noticeable when you start using smaller reels. for example, an avail shallow spool on a 1001XT will allow you to cast lighter lures you never thought possible on a b/c set-up before.

then you start experimenting with bearings.

and wonder what happens if you change the handle to a longer carbon fibre swept handle :-k :-k ?

oh wait, how about 8lb braid on the shallow spool too?

and then, everyone here welcomes you to the dark side. :D

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks. I'm looking at getting the MTO725 for fishing 10 lb braid on a phenix recon 712L. Hopefully I will be able to cast down to 1/8

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am

white84z wrote:Thanks. I'm looking at getting the MTO725 for fishing 10 lb braid on a phenix recon 712L. Hopefully I will be able to cast down to 1/8
which brakes are you buying for it ? svs or mag

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Their 4 point svs so I can swap back easily for now. Debating on adding hedgehog air bearings at the same time.

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:24 pm

phatbass wrote:I using usually 12-14lb flouro on mine right now,even though it doesnt hold that much line it has'nt been a issue.but I would'nt use braid on these spools,since they were designed for finesse fishing with light line you wouldn;t want to damage the spool. a member on the board told me he was using 16lb toray superhard flourocarbon and pitching heavy cover with one of these spools with no issues
haoz wrote: of course.
however, imho, the difference in performance is much more noticeable when you start using smaller reels. for example, an avail shallow spool on a 1001XT will allow you to cast lighter lures you never thought possible on a b/c set-up before.
Thank you very much!
I've taken the spool on a ebay auction with the reel.. I was looking for the XT1501 only, but, at a good price, I've taken both (with the original spool) to satisfy my curiosity ;)
I'm planning to use it on a MB Destroyer Phase2 Brigandage F5-69X or a Aaron Martens FLIP SHOT F7-72X..so I don't think I'll use it with lighter lines than 14lb..and with these rods I usually cast 1/16-to 3/8oz texas rigs, 1/4-3/8oz jigs, weightless soft stickbaits, horny toads.. :roll:
then you start experimenting with bearings.
and wonder what happens if you change the handle to a longer carbon fibre swept handle :-k :-k ?
oh wait, how about 8lb braid on the shallow spool too?
and then, everyone here welcomes you to the dark side. :D
Maybe it'll be my story too :D :D
I've another XT1001, some TD-Z..to tuning too!! :lol:
unfortunately I've sold my GTC Hien Type-S years ago..and in the last years I've only considered only a power spinning combo (BSR803 GLX, Certate and 20lb braid with 10-14lb tip) to cast light rigs :roll: but maybe I'll give a chance to BFS reels :mrgreen: