Bfs, Centrifugal or Mag ?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bfs, Centrifugal or Mag ?

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Lately I've really got into the world of bfs. Right Now I'm using a conquest 51s and aldebaran bfs xg.

I'm using the stock shallow spool of the conquest and I'm pretty impressed with hedgehog bfs air bearings. The Aldebaran has a ktf spool with hedgehog bfs bearings and casting distances are actually about the same with both reels.

Just ordered the avail spool & mag brake for the conquest and excited to try it out. I'd appreciate any info on what your experience with mag vs centri are with bfs fishing. Im a Shimano junky that's had a few daiwas and considered picking up another pixy with an i'ze finesse spool and comparing to my Shimanos.

Would love any feedback, thanks guys.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bfs, Centrifugal or Mag ?

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I think my LTZ casts a little bit better than my Aldebaran BFS. But that might be because the spool is much shallower and lighter.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I think my LTZ casts a little bit better than my Aldebaran BFS. But that might be because the spool is much shallower and lighter.
That's another reel that I've been interested in Picking up as well as a mb hedgehog. Ive also considered tuning my aldebaran mg. Decisions Decisions... :sick: :sick:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:58 pm

the hooligan wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:I think my LTZ casts a little bit better than my Aldebaran BFS. But that might be because the spool is much shallower and lighter.
That's another reel that I've been interested in Picking up as well as a mb hedgehog. Ive also considered tuning my aldebaran mg. Decisions Decisions... :sick: :sick:
If im not mistaken the LTZ comes tuned, has open face bearings that Im sure are ZPI, and has the ZPI knobs, and an extra deeper spool that's still ridiculously light. Well worth the money, but the finish is crap FYI.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Afaik, both LTZ spools weigh the same, 8.16 grams. The ”deep” spool casts great as well. And they can take up a beating with PE lines. Which was a no-no for T3 Air spool. LTZ stock bearings are finesse type, and pretty good ones.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 pm

AndZ wrote:Afaik, both LTZ spools weigh the same, 8.16 grams. The ”deep” spool casts great as well. And they can take up a beating with PE lines. Which was a no-no for T3 Air spool. LTZ stock bearings are finesse type, and pretty good ones.
Ive never been much of an abu guy, pretty much stick with shimanos & daiwas but id be willing to give an abu another shot.

I had a revo aurora, was a pretty sweet reel that i probally should of held onto, but sold it. Probably would of been pretty sweet with a lightweight spool and better bearings.

Once the mag brake comes in for my conquest this week, ill play around with it and see what i prefer. My bfs xg has the ktf spool that you can only use mono/flouro with an i'm a braid guy. So if i prefer the mag brake, ill most likely get the avail spool and brake for the bfs xg.

Then it will be time for the next project, either an ltz or pixy/alphas :big grin:

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:09 am

I can't say I'm a Daiwa or Shimano or Abu fanboy. I just use whatever brings me best results for my fishing apps. I like Daiwa reels as much as the newer Shimano. I am testing my new Steez Limited while a fishing buddy is getting around with the new Metanium. Which I am now considering buying it for myself. :) I tested it once, it was really smooth, Antares-like... and now he managed a different combination (white & red brake blocks) that brings the reel to life, together with the flushed bearings, relubed with HH Alchemy UL. He'll get a pair of Air bearings and then will test again. Back to LTZ - I just gave Abu another shot and now I own 2 LTZ. :) They might not be Steez-like smooth, but they cast really great finesse stuff. They're solid value, coming with 2 extremely light spools.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 am

AndZ wrote:I can't say I'm a Daiwa or Shimano or Abu fanboy. I just use whatever brings me best results for my fishing apps. I like Daiwa reels as much as the newer Shimano. I am testing my new Steez Limited while a fishing buddy is getting around with the new Metanium. Which I am now considering buying it for myself. :) I tested it once, it was really smooth, Antares-like... and now he managed a different combination (white & red brake blocks) that brings the reel to life, together with the flushed bearings, relubed with HH Alchemy UL. He'll get a pair of Air bearings and then will test again. Back to LTZ - I just gave Abu another shot and now I own 2 LTZ. :) They might not be Steez-like smooth, but they cast really great finesse stuff. They're solid value, coming with 2 extremely light spools.
Nice, ive had my eye on the metanium for a while.

Whats the difference between the LTZ, and the LTX that tackle warehouse is selling ?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 am

the hooligan wrote:
AndZ wrote:I can't say I'm a Daiwa or Shimano or Abu fanboy. I just use whatever brings me best results for my fishing apps. I like Daiwa reels as much as the newer Shimano. I am testing my new Steez Limited while a fishing buddy is getting around with the new Metanium. Which I am now considering buying it for myself. :) I tested it once, it was really smooth, Antares-like... and now he managed a different combination (white & red brake blocks) that brings the reel to life, together with the flushed bearings, relubed with HH Alchemy UL. He'll get a pair of Air bearings and then will test again. Back to LTZ - I just gave Abu another shot and now I own 2 LTZ. :) They might not be Steez-like smooth, but they cast really great finesse stuff. They're solid value, coming with 2 extremely light spools.

Whats the difference between the LTZ, and the LTX that tackle warehouse is selling ?
As far as I can tell besides the cosmetic differences, everything is the same except for the zpi knobs and bearings in the LTZ. I'm not sure if the magnets are different.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:47 am

Bootytrain wrote:
the hooligan wrote:

As far as I can tell besides the cosmetic differences, everything is the same except for the zpi knobs and bearings in the LTZ. I'm not sure if the magnets are different.
Thanks booty

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 am

From what I've read the ltz holds 50 m of 8 lb and the ltx holds 100 m of 8 lb, so,the spool in the ltz is a little more shallow.

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:02 pm

LTZ comes with two spools, one hold 50m of 8lb and the other hold 100m of 8lb.

I don't know the performance of LTX but LT is really really good in terms of casting distance. Retrieving is not super smooth though.
Aaronb wrote:From what I've read the ltz holds 50 m of 8 lb and the ltx holds 100 m of 8 lb, so,the spool in the ltz is a little more shallow.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I've been casting both on indentical rods, lines and lures.

I found the centrifugally braked BFS reels better at handling at "balls out"
hard casts where there is always a setting that requires zero care or thumb control.

With the magnetically braked finesse reel, less thumb control seems to be required towards the end if the cast and requires less attention to splashdown.

I can't make up my mind on which one is more effective, so I use both. Centri for horizontal techs and mag for vertical including pitching.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Mcyl wrote:I've been casting both on indentical rods, lines and lures.

I found the centrifugally braked BFS reels better at handling at "balls out"
hard casts where there is always a setting that requires zero care or thumb control.

With the magnetically braked finesse reel, less thumb control seems to be required towards the end if the cast and requires less attention to splashdown.

I can't make up my mind on which one is more effective, so I use both. Centri for horizontal techs and mag for vertical including pitching.
I agree with you. The new SV spool on my Steez requires less thumb control than other spools.

I find the mag brake more efficient for light jigs and soft plastics, while the centrifugal brakes work great for long casts with heavier lures, for horizontal presentations.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Nice, im excited to try the mag brake for the conquest. Should come in today.

Surprisingly, using the same rod and same line, i was getting equal casting distance between the conquest 51s & aldebaran bfs xg with ktf spool. Both reels have hedgehog bfs air bearings. I was really thinking the ktf spool would blow it away, especially at almost half the weight...

Stock 51s spool with brake is 13.6g i believe, ktf spool is 6.7-6.9g if i remember correctly. Add the stock brake block from the aldebaran should be around 8g.

I picked up the avail CNQ5036S spool at 9.5g so it should be a great upgrade for the conquest. The next experiment will be the avail spool and mag brake in the bfs xg, and an avail spool in my aldebaran mg or core 51... :big grin: