Problem for ZPI RC 002 spool not compatible with TD ITO

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Problem for ZPI RC 002 spool not compatible with TD ITO

Post by hzzhangc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 am

Hi everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. Recently I got a ito 103m and trying to install a RC 002 spool. It works perfectly in my TD Zs(of course they are designed for TD Z platform). However it doesnt work in my ito even I loose the spool tension and set the brake to min the spool can only spin for 2 sec, which feels like the brake was set to max. The stock spool works just fine with free spin for more than 10 sec and I also checked it with the sv spool and it did the same. I tried all my three RC 002 spools in the ito and the results are all the same. If someone can give me any idea that would be great appreciate. :D

RRION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Problem for ZPI RC 002 spool not compatible with TD ITO

Post by RRION » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:45 am

Does the stock spool spins more than 2sec?

Maybe the mag brake has some problem or simply the bearing must be cleaned ;)

RRION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RRION » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 am

Try to spool it and make some casts, RC spools have less inertia than stock spools, but i still don't understand why with other spools is working. It's quite strange that if you put the spool in another reel it works, it has no sense

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 am

Check the spool bearing on the RC002 spool first. If it is ok, then the spool is fine. The RC spool should come with ZPI SiC bearing.

There are old threads reporting the same "issue". Go out and make some casts then you will be amazed. These RC spools are light weight and have fixed inductor, which don't spin for long time in "free spool test" but they do cast well. I have a RC-001 coming soon. Africanbass told me that it cast 1/2oz further than any spool he had. =P~ Can't wait to try.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 am

Really appreciate for the reply. However initially I thought the bearing was greased too much so I replaced it with the Boca bearings. The problem is when RC 002 in my TD Zs can spin for more than 10 secs. When the stock spool and sv 105 spool in ito can spin the same time. However the RC 002 + ito= not working which really confused me.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:55 am

hzzhangc wrote:Really appreciate for the reply. However initially I thought the bearing was greased too much so I replaced it with the Boca bearings. The problem is when RC 002 in my TD Zs can spin for more than 10 secs. When the stock spool and sv 105 spool in ito can spin the same time. However the RC 002 + ito= not working which really confused me.
maybe tighter tolerances? i know my sv deep in my ito doesnt free spool much at all. works fine.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 am

hzzhangc wrote:Really appreciate for the reply. However initially I thought the bearing was greased too much so I replaced it with the Boca bearings. The problem is when RC 002 in my TD Zs can spin for more than 10 secs. When the stock spool and sv 105 spool in ito can spin the same time. However the RC 002 + ito= not working which really confused me.
Have you tried casting with it?

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:18 am

Teal101 wrote:
Have you tried casting with it?
I would try it this weekend. Also when I tried to turn the handle I feel more resistance and not very smooth, just like turning the handle when the spool tension knob is fully tight. Too bad its not working.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
maybe tighter tolerances? i know my sv deep in my ito doesnt free spool much at all. works fine.
That make sense. I 'll try the spool in another ito tonight to see how it works.

r61
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by r61 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 am

My rc 001 and 002 /002s have crap free spool....but they cast insane

Check to see if the bearing has any up and down movement on the shaft under the pin. I bought a spool recently and found braid wrapped under the bearing in a knot, tied around the shaft under the bearing....I could barely see it. The bearing barely moved up and down, and it caused it to fit very tight in my type r+; was kinda binding almost when I reeled. Strangely it fit ok in my other tdz though......anyhow Found that out, removed the braid and worked like a glove.

AlexMillan
Angler
Angler

Post by AlexMillan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi! Same "problem" with a TD-Itö. I dont care about the free spool time because I have used some other ZPI Mg spool but...what is the harsh retrieve feel when the brake is set above 5?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Free-spool isnt a good indicator of a spool's performance, especially given that your spool has a fixed inductor.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

AlexMillan
Angler
Angler

Post by AlexMillan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm
Free-spool isnt a good indicator of a spool's performance, especially given that your spool has a fixed inductor.
I know and I dont care about the free spool time. The thing that worries me is that when the mag dial is set above 2-3 the reel retrieve feels like if the tension knob was too tight! Also the mag dial turns hard to go above 7-8... Its very very strange. I put the spool on TD-Itö 103HL and TD-Z 103ML...same issue.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:59 am

I put the Blue Emblem in my Morethan 1000xh and it felt too tight. It was like it was rubbing on something. I didn't use it and switched to a 002 and it was fine...strange.

I wonder if the paint thickness could be the issue.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:06 pm

I've encountered similar issues with "103" spools in 1016 reels. See viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168&start=45
It appears as if some 103 spools have a bearing that sits higher on the spool shaft and closer to the reel frame bearing holder than some 1016 spools. This can be remedied by running a thinner bearing or playing with shims and caps on reels that use caps over the spools bearing. Some 103 spools don't play nice with 1016 and vice versa.