braided line for finesse spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: braided line for finesse spool?

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote: ( I really miss the old Spiderwire Fusion, it was the perfect line IMO).
Then you'd like Tuf Line Supercast, which seems to be Fusion reborn. The packaging claims the line has a braid under the coating, but in the 12 lb. test all I see when I pull back the line sheath are parallel fibers (just as in old Fusion).
Is the sheath pretty durable like on the first run of FW Fusion, or does it fray every time it touches something rough like the like the later spools?
The first knot I tied with the Supercast was a leader knot; in cinching it up, the fluorocarbon stripped the coating off the Supercast. (That's how I saw there was no braid underneath.) I lubed the retie better (maybe changed knots, too), and only a small section of the coating peeled. I didn't have to retie the leader on that outing and haven't fished it since. I didn't pull the line over any abrasive cover, so all I can say is that I am disappointed at the ease of stripping the coating when tying a knot.

When I used Fusion (only the early version, and I didn't use it much), I just tied it direct to the lure or hook with a Palomar and had no sheath-shedding problem.

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes, it was on the 50m spool. I used the same lure, same line on 50m and 100m spool. The 50m spool casts a little longer, not a too big difference.

I doubt the 50m spool you have may have some defect.
slicksouthpaw wrote:doubletree, was that on the 50m spool? because on the 100m spool braid performs like magic and i tried a few brands with the same results.

i can only get good casting performance out the 50m spool with mono

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Actually I agree with Karkayan.

Older gen braid:
PP is only 4 fibres braid - squarish & once coating wears off...

PP depth hunter is better with 6 braids & changing colors. I find it a lil thick.

New gen real braid:
PP SS8 is better @ lighter stuff (than above 2 lines). I started using this line after I offloaded my shallow spool.

YGK line (forgot the name - packaging thrown away) is really outstanding on lighter stuff too.

Shimano Jp has this EX8 line that is really good for lighter stuff too.

Based on my exp, it's how round the lines are that really determine casting dist at the lightest lures casting - new gen braid are oft made with idk whatever materials that makes the line softer & thinner & oftens employ 8 braid (or more).

Softer means harder to de nest on a backlash.
8 braid means smoother (rounder lines) ie more casting dist.

I think you might be better off trying the 'new gen' stuff than experimenting with older lines like Tufline. No offense - it's a good line no doubt, but I'm not so sure it will give you the kind of performance you looking.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:55 am

my second outing with 15lb spider wire. first one i wasnt impressed but this time around its different. it was all in my casting motion. i was doing hard overhand cast adthat actually took away from the distance. lob and it shoots a mile. thanks everyone for your imput. i got it figured out, now i can cast futher than my 100m spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I use 20 lb Sufix performance braid. Works well for me. Not to stiff, not to limp, and the diameter seems perfect.