Good & bad experiences buying unknown JDM tackle

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Good & bad experiences buying unknown JDM tackle

Post by kgasuns » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

There seems to be a plethora of JDM tackle producers that are virtually unknown outside Japan. And only information about their products can be found in Japanese script.

But time after time I feel tempted to try some of those out. Somehow I feel they must be good. While at the sime time it might turn into a major dissappointment, if they turn out to be completely unfitting for imagined technique, for example.

Have you embarked on adventures of buying some Japanese tackle that you know very little about, no recommendations or feedbacks (except for basic specifications, that can be found on the rod)? What have been the positive and negative experiences?

And is there any of those little known JDM producers that is beginning to gain some name and traction right now?

Stockinger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Good & bad experiences buying unknown JDM tackle

Post by Stockinger » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi

Same situation for me over here in Germany. Still not much information over here, but slowly growing knowledgebase.

I have been in desperate search for a pike BC-Rod for throwing 6" Shakers. So a lot of Rods went through my hands over the last couple of years -> MB Orochi, MB X4 Cover Hacking, MB X4 Destruction, Steez XBD and Stratofortress, EG SuperStallion, Shimano 173XH Expride, Loomis IMX and GLX, Deps SuperBorder. Just to name a few :roll: :mrgreen: None of them fitted my needs perfectly (Some of them not as nearly...).

The main Problem is, that everybody judges a rod´s abilities by his own preferences. The specs on the rod itself can be a hint, but mustn´t be. Deps eg are heavily underrated...

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 pm

This is a feeling I get, too.
That there is a whole continent of underrated or simply unknown Japanese tackle. Deps might be just on the surface of it. Because the company is quite known for it's lures, collaborations in reel design etc.

But there there must be lots of companies, producing quality products, but having no name and reputation outside of Japan. Or even within Japan. Tackle start-ups, smaller-scale producers or just hardcore JDM-oriented.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 am

Olympic Fishing, aka, GraphiteLeader rods, I have two, Bosco ( the lowest end ) and Veloce ( mid end ) , I'm super happy with both. Never heard of them before.

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 am

This is the situation, when you buy a rod from a company that is actually quite well known, but not to you. :)

I had this experience with light Daiko Burroughs rod. I had almost no knowledge of the reputation of the company, when I bought it for a bargain. And that rod was awesome! But little did I know, that the company is actually quite famous.