MB rod for heavy baits

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: MB rod for heavy baits

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Another rod I haven't considered is the new Leviathan in the XX series. I may wait a bit til I see some reports from some people who've fished it before I make my decision. It's certainly got the right specs. Starting at 1/2 oz and going up to 8oz it looks more comparable to the SRD than the TD78X. I wonder if it will fish like the SRD?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:28 pm

kyty wrote:Super Destruction slant bridge but good luck finding one.
This!!!! But finding a used one that someone is willing to sell is going to be next to impossible. Good luck!!

If you are going to stay under 3 oz baits, I'd go with a WP. Using baits over 3oz gets scary...the rod feel underpowered on the cast. The biggest I go with it are 6" wood lunker punkers...somewhere between 2.5-3oz. It feels best around 2 oz. This is your best option for bait that require working them to walk.

If you are going over 3oz, then I'd step up to the SRD. It won't be comfortable to fish walking topwaters for long periods of time, but it can be done. Topwaters that work on a straight retrieve will work fine. The SRD can also double as a punching/heavy jig/large plastics stick too. Think 12"+ worms and huge jigs and 1-2oz spinnerbaits.

The X4 Leviathan looks interesting. At 8', it might not be legal for some tournament use...just a caveat if that matters to you.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:45 am

Tokugawa wrote:
kyty wrote:Super Destruction slant bridge but good luck finding one.
This!!!! But finding a used one that someone is willing to sell is going to be next to impossible. Good luck!!

If you are going to stay under 3 oz baits, I'd go with a WP. Using baits over 3oz gets scary...the rod feel underpowered on the cast. The biggest I go with it are 6" wood lunker punkers...somewhere between 2.5-3oz. It feels best around 2 oz. This is your best option for bait that require working them to walk.

If you are going over 3oz, then I'd step up to the SRD. It won't be comfortable to fish walking topwaters for long periods of time, but it can be done. Topwaters that work on a straight retrieve will work fine. The SRD can also double as a punching/heavy jig/large plastics stick too. Think 12"+ worms and huge jigs and 1-2oz spinnerbaits.

The X4 Leviathan looks interesting. At 8', it might not be legal for some tournament use...just a caveat if that matters to you.
I'll definitely be going over the 3oz mark so I guess the WP is out for now tho I want one eventually. I'm interested to see some first hand reports on the Leviathan. The tourney thing isn't a concern for me. I just wanna know if it can handle the big lures like it's rating suggests. Why so emphatic on the Super Destruction slant bridge? It's only rated to 4. 1/4oz. Is that a conservative rating? What separates it from the other rods that get up to the 4oz mark? If it really is that good of a rod I can always get one from overseas. It won't be pristine and it'll cost and extra hundred in shipping, but if it's worth it that's no big deal. Thanks for the response.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:59 am

SouthArkFishin wrote:Why so emphatic on the Super Destruction slant bridge?
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbsuperdestruction.html

It is spiral wrapped, slant bridge and overall a sick, sick rod. Not sure how I'd feel grabbing one used without knowing the owner and the condition of the blank. I could not find one that a verifiable ownership "pedigree"...if you will.

Honestly, one of the reasons I bought the WP2 was to ease the workload on the slant bridge OG WP. Not that I won't fish it anymore, but just under more limited circumstances. Another consideration is that these older slant bridge rods are all one piece...a lot harder to fix if something goes wrong than a two piece...where you can just get a new top half.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:44 am

The reason I like the Super Destruction is it's a wicked rod and very hard to find. I also have the wp sb and a srd. I own about 12 Megabass slant bridge rods and all are sweet.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 am

kyty wrote:The reason I like the Super Destruction is it's a wicked rod and very hard to find. I also have the wp sb and a srd. I own about 12 Megabass slant bridge rods and all are sweet.
Well hell, now I'm just jealous :lol: That's more what I was getting at tho. Whether or not there was something about the SD besides the wicked factor. Is it comfortable with baits up to it's 4. 1/4oz rating? From what y'all are telling me the WP is really only good up to about 3oz. If one of the slant bridges will comfortably throw 4oz I might let the heavier baits wait for now and go that route. I keep flip flopping back and forth cos I really want a slant bridge more than I want a SRD or a Leviathan.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:14 am

Did you read the review? :D

If you really want it, then go get it! A slant bridge is a love thing. I love mine. :lol:

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:28 am

Im with him on the slant bridge thing. Just sold 5 megabass rods to my buddy and replaced them with 6 new ones. I prefer the slant bridge stuff and megabass, evergreen, the shimano poison stuff and gan craft. Good luck with our expensive hobby. I've spent over 20k the last year on gear.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:27 pm

You guys are making it hard not to go the slant bridge route. I reckon I might as well take the plunge cos I'm pretty sure I won't be happy til I do. 'Course I do know an excellent machinist that could make me a slant bridge piece. I could always buy a SRD, chop off some of the handle, and turn it into a SB... :big grin: Ok, not really. Kyty, you mentioned Gan Craft. I really wanna try out one of their sticks too. I thought about possibly getting the Dead Sword Magnum or if not that then maybe one of their other rods for mid size moving baits. Got any opinions on either one? And as always, thanks for all y'all's input on this. Without it I'd be flying blind.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Been looking at the WP II for about six months waiting on the new Evoluzions to compare. Went by TTT to trade a rod and they had a SB WP, Gary worked with me and I took it home. Plan on using it for swimbaits and large cranks. I hope it will handle the LC mag 120 at 3 1/4 ozs. SB is a dream to cast, I love this place.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:00 am

I have a gan craft junk and love it. It's very versatile. You would love it.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:04 am

kyty wrote:I have a gan craft junk and love it. It's very versatile. You would love it.
The Junk is one I've considered as well as the Dictator and the Ground Trick. It'll be down the road a bit unless I decide to get one of the light action models for a finesse rod. After this swimbait rod, a finesse rod is the other specialty stick I need. I've got a Shiryu, a Chimera, and a Hvy Tour which should cover all my moving baits good enough for now. I haven't done any finesse fishing yet, but it's a technique I've gotta start learning so a fairy wand takes priority over another fast mover. You mentioned you've got all the slant bridges. Does that include the Jade Python? I've thought about maybe trying to score one for the light stuff.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:06 am

BigG wrote:Been looking at the WP II for about six months waiting on the new Evoluzions to compare. Went by TTT to trade a rod and they had a SB WP, Gary worked with me and I took it home. Plan on using it for swimbaits and large cranks. I hope it will handle the LC mag 120 at 3 1/4 ozs. SB is a dream to cast, I love this place.
Congrats! Enjoy the mess out of it. Hopefully I'll be able to score one at some point.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 am

I do not have the Jade Python. I just ordered a x7 shading x for finess.