MB rod for heavy baits

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MB rod for heavy baits

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:37 am

I was planning on adding another cranking rod next, but after some thinking I decided a big bait rod for topwaters and swimbaits makes more sense. I don't have a rod that fits that description and I think having the ability to throw big topwater baits when it warms up will help me catch more fish than another crank rod lying on the deck. I've put together a list with rods rated for up to at least 3oz to help me weigh my options and decide what to go searching for. I'm sure I've missed a few and I'd appreciate some help filling in any gaps in my list. It doesn't matter if it's still in production as several rods on the list so far aren't. No matter what I go with it'll be used cos I don't care about the looks on this one as long as it's not totally trashed. Anyway, if you see something that should be on the list and isn't or if you've got an opinion on the subject all comments are appreciated. Oh, and can somebody please explain why I've seen some of the F7-76RDTi slant bridge rods listed as Huge Contact and some as Evoluzion Origin.

F7-76RDTi-SB
White Python
3/8-4oz

F8. 1/2-710XBJ
Punching and Swimbait (2 piece)
3/8-6oz

F10-76XBJ
Super Red Demon
1/2-8oz

F6-72X4
Destruction
3/8-3. 1/4oz

F7-64X4
Iguazu
1/4-4oz

F7-69DG
Mephisto
3/8-4oz

F6-72DG
Destruction 72H
3/8-3. 1/4oz

F7-74DG
Destruction 74XH
3/8-4oz

F8-78DG
Super Destruction 78XX
1/2-4. 1/2oz

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB rod for heavy baits

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 am

What is your price range? And is it only going to be a topwater rod or do you need a little versatility or total versatility?

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:55 am

What are the specific baits you are planning to use most? Is 3oz the largest you plan to throw?

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 am

Finnz922 wrote:What is your price range? And is it only going to be a topwater rod or do you need a little versatility or total versatility?
Whatever I buy will be used and I'm not looking for a shelf queen so I'm not worried about the price. It'll be for topwaters and big swimbaits. The part I can't decide at the moment is whether or not to buy a rod that's good for around 4oz and stick with baits around that for this coming up season or go ahead and step up to the Super Red Demon and be done with it. The only other option I might consider is going with a 4oz MB rod and buying Jackson Super Trickster 72XXX which would get me up to 8oz. I don't have any specific baits in mind, but I want to be able to throw whatever I decide on without worrying about weight.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:32 pm

I've got almost all of the rods you have listed and they are all very nice. Don't know what I would recommend though. Tough choices.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:53 pm

kyty wrote:I've got almost all of the rods you have listed and they are all very nice. Don't know what I would recommend though. Tough choices.
Do you have all of the DG rods on the list? And out of the ones you have which one would you keep if you could only have one?

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:09 pm

I consider a longer rod 7'6"+ a requirement for swimbait fishing with anything over 2oz. This would shorten your list a lot for me. I currently have both the Super Red Demon on your list as well as a TS78X and like them both for Topwater type swimbaits. If you are just going to have one setup for this the SRD might be a good fit. If you are going to start with one now and get an even heavier rod later I might pick the White Python and then look for something to compliment it for the larger stuff.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Farnorth wrote:I consider a longer rod 7'6"+ a requirement for swimbait fishing with anything over 2oz. This would shorten your list a lot for me. I currently have both the Super Red Demon on your list as well as a TS78X and like them both for Topwater type swimbaits. If you are just going to have one setup for this the SRD might be a good fit. If you are going to start with one now and get an even heavier rod later I might pick the White Python and then look for something to compliment it for the larger stuff.
Thanks for filling in a gap in the list. I forgot the TS78X. In your mind what are the differences between it and the SRD since you own them both? I hope to eventually have two setups if for no other reason than I want one of the slant bridge models. That's really what's messing me up at the moment. I know I should probably just start looking for a SRD so I'm not limited on what I can throw and then pick up something else down the line. Those dang SB models just keep calling my name tho... 8-[

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:47 am

The TT review of the Super Red Demon is really good if you haven't read it. The difference between the SRD and the TS is huge. The SRD has some tip for fine control of smaller baits while the TS has none, it really feels broomstickish if you try to fish anything under 4oz with it. On the other hand I feel like I am straining the SRD a bit once I try to cast 6 oz and the TS starts hitting its sweet spot and feels perfect. I have a few 3:16 10" wakes and this is the bait the TS feels like it was made for. Easy to cast and lots of power to impart some sharp action on the bait when you want to. For 6oz+ glide baits I am thinking of getting something a bit longer and more moderately tapered. I will see if I can post some comparison pics over the next few days. Just looking at the tip side by side you can see the difference.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:35 am

Just some comparison between the two rods.

The SRD weighs 187g
The TS weighs 249g

Here are the tips of the two rods, not sure if the picture shows it but there is about double the material in the tip of the TS.

Good luck with your decision.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks for the all the info on the two rods. I went back and looked at the weights on the baits that I want to throw and there's more in the 2-4oz range than in the 4+oz range. There were only one or two on my list over 8oz and neither is something I can't live without. I went back and read the TT review of the SRD again and I think that's what I'm gonna go after. I can always try and add one of the others later on to satisfy my slant bridge fix.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:57 am

Super Destruction slant bridge but good luck finding one.

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:03 pm

What is the TS78x?

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:06 pm

I would vote for the white python.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Basscatcher99 wrote:What is the TS78x?

It's a 7'8" heavy action with a lure rating from 4-10 oz. It's called the Destroyer TS78X, but I don't think it's part of an existing lineup like the Phase 3, ect.

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/ts78x/