Cranking rod help

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SB_NEWBIE
Angler
Angler

Cranking rod help

Post by SB_NEWBIE » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking into a rod to throw medium to deep diving cranks. I've been thinking about getting the Megabass F4.1/2-711GTA, but have also looked into the GLoomis GLX 956 CBR since it's at about the same price point. Has anyone had any experience with either rod? Any input would be appreciated.

I've also already read the TT review on the MB.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cranking rod help

Post by Farnorth » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:50 am

I have the F4.1/2-711GTA and love it. It was my favorite rod last summer, I did grow up with fiberglass rods though. It is heavy compared to graphite cranking sticks but it does what it was made for really well. The taper is nice and soft and since i fish a lot of barbless hooks really helps to keep nice even pressure on fish. As the review states it is not the most sensitive rod ever. I used mine with braid and a fluoro leader last season and had no trouble discerning strikes from bottom or weeds. I will likely try straight flouro this summer but I am not anticipating too much of a loss of sensitivity even with the increased stretch.

If you have other specific questions let me know.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:43 am

If you're willing to go straight graphite the F4-70GTZ is a nice one too. I love mine. It's got a nice soft action that's good at keeping those hooks pinned tight. Plus it's just a fun rod to throw.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:31 am

If you can find a Megabass Carrozzeria Custom Cranking CF4-610Z you will love it.

SB_NEWBIE
Angler
Angler

Post by SB_NEWBIE » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks for the responses. However, since I'll be using this rod more so for medium to deep cranks (20+ft) I would prefer a longer rod.

I'm still on the fence on which particular rod to get. Both rods seem to fit the bill.