Can I punch with an X7 Destroyer?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Can I punch with an X7 Destroyer?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 am

Cal wrote:I'd punch with it... the slower taper is actually ideal for punching.
Cal, how would you rate the taper/power to iRod Bub's Punch Rod or the 8ft Compile X? I imagine it would be on the lighter side.

I am looking for a lighter (by California and Florida standards), slower punch rod.

If it means anything, the 7'6" Tatula was a little too much power and a bit too fast. The average bass I catch is about 2lbs with a good one being 4lbs.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:58 am

ccass wrote:
Cal, how would you rate the taper/power to iRod Bub's Punch Rod or the 8ft Compile X? I imagine it would be on the lighter side.
I haven't handled the rod extensively so I can't say for certain. I'm mostly going by the manufacturer specifications.

Heck, I don't even remember how Bub's Punch Rod feels :?

I do know, judging by what you describe, the Steez 8' flipping rod or the Kistler Helium Mark Daniel's special would probably serve you well.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 am

Cal wrote:I haven't handled the rod extensively so I can't say for certain. I'm mostly going by the manufacturer specifications.
I've actually fished this rod for years, it's not an ideal punch rod regardless the specs, but again, to each their own...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:17 am

It's not that kind of rod. I have put a lot of time in with this rod and for me it's a 1/2-3/4oz football jig rod, big 10-12" worms, 1oz chatterbaits and spinnerbaits,big paddle tails, even bigger crankbaits. It has power but it would be clumsy and too moderate to punch with it doesn't transition into the power like.you would want a punch rod too. It's my favorite rod it replaced the nautilus for me. It would be like trying to skip a jig on a glx 855 cbr

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Cal wrote:I haven't handled the rod extensively so I can't say for certain. I'm mostly going by the manufacturer specifications.
I've actually fished this rod for years, it's not an ideal punch rod regardless the specs, but again, to each their own...

X2 Gary. You and I have spoken about our love for the X7 Destruction as a a deep water jig rod, and it's so damn good for this application. Paired up with a 16 Antares DC HG...good times.
On the other side...Cal does have a good point about the taper lending itself well to some medium flipping duties. I can't say for sure, as I haven't flipped with it at all, but just as personal preference...I like a little heavier action rod, so I'd want something a bit more "beastly" for actual 1.5oz.+ punching.

Just my opinion though. Amazing stick regardless, and one of my short-list favorites for sure!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 pm

RISE wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

X2 Gary. You and I have spoken about our love for the X7 Destruction as a a deep water jig rod, and it's so damn good for this application. Paired up with a 16 Antares DC HG...good times.
On the other side...Cal does have a good point about the taper lending itself well to some medium flipping duties. I can't say for sure, as I haven't flipped with it at all, but just as personal preference...I like a little heavier action rod, so I'd want something a bit more "beastly" for actual 1.5oz.+ punching.

Just my opinion though. Amazing stick regardless, and one of my short-list favorites for sure!
What about 1/2-1oz punching? Also, I'm not punching real Cali or Florida mats. Mine is more lily pads mixed with milfoil.

So I guess that would translate to most of the southerners moderate vegetation.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 am

I use mine a lot more in deeper water: larger swimjigs, spinnerbaits and paddle tails. Very versatile, don't use my for pure bottom contact because I have other rods I like for that, but think it would been good for that also. Really enjoy the rod.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 am

ccass wrote:
RISE wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

What about 1/2-1oz punching? Also, I'm not punching real Cali or Florida mats. Mine is more lily pads mixed with milfoil.

It could be a good choice for lighter mats/cover with mentioned weights. The slightly slower taper could serve you very well at close range, and alleviate some of the stress we put on faster taper rods with hard hook sets, and short amounts of line out. Totally makes sense, but I just haven't tried it.
It won't be the best choice for providing that "instantaneous", fast-action hook set, that so many of us are used to for this technique. I, myself don't mind either way, and have adapted to some of the slower tapers to the point that I actually prefer them for apps that I used to only use true fast-action rods for.

Honestly...we all have preferences when it comes to actions/applications/etc, and you may very well stop searching after using it for this app if it feels right to you. We can all offer advice or descriptions about gear, but in the end, we don't all prefer the same things, and often need to get these items in our hands to try them for ourselves. I can say that IMO, you wont have a problem finding great use for this stick whether it be for your specific flipping duties, or somewhere else in the line-up. I will also say that I don't think it will take the place of a heavy flipping/punching rod IMHO. Just my 2 cents though.
Heck...if you hate the rod after trying it...get in touch with me, and I'll give it a new home ;)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:29 pm

ccass wrote:
RISE wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

I haven't fished the X7 destruction, but you don't need a beastly rod to punch milfoil. One of the lakes near me has lots of millfoil. A rod that is perfect for punching milfoil, fishing jigs in milfoil, and swimjigs in and around milfoil is the Black Jungle Power Versatile. Another rod that I like to use for punching milfoil is the Dobyns DX 795 Flip.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am

Hey whatd'ya know.. Packing for a testing trip this weekend and I found mine :)

So I'd absolutely use this stick for punching, but not in the stereotypical scenario where you have a lot of matted down vegetation or a thicket of pennywort, but rather in situations where the millfoil or hydrylla are just beneath the surface or just beginning to matt over on the surface. Feels like it will do well in these situations. I have it rigged up and ready to go for our planned excursion out on the CA Delta this coming weekend.

We'll see how the bite goes, but this rod is now officially in the review cycle... 8-)
Cal, Managing Editor

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 am

Cal wrote:Hey whatd'ya know.. Packing for a testing trip this weekend and I found mine :)

So I'd absolutely use this stick for punching, but not in the stereotypical scenario where you have a lot of matted down vegetation or a thicket of pennywort, but rather in situations where the millfoil or hydrylla are just beneath the surface or just beginning to matt over on the surface. Feels like it will do well in these situations. I have it rigged up and ready to go for our planned excursion out on the CA Delta this coming weekend.

We'll see how the bite goes, but this rod is now officially in the review cycle... 8-)
Let me know how it "punches" before the actual review. A comparison between the X7 Destruction and the Compile X would be nice :whistle: . I'LL take whatever you give me though.

Thanks

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:41 pm

ccass wrote:
Cal wrote:Hey whatd'ya know.. Packing for a testing trip this weekend and I found mine :)

Let me know how it "punches" before the actual review. A comparison between the X7 Destruction and the Compile X would be nice :whistle: . I'LL take whatever you give me though.

Thanks
How did the trip go?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 pm

ccass wrote:
How did the trip go?
We redirected to another location... water is too muddy in the Delta :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 am

Cal wrote:
ccass wrote:
How did the trip go?
We redirected to another location... water is too muddy in the Delta :lol:
Did you end up using the X7???

I don't want you to spoil the suspense of the review but, if you could provide one with enough details to see if that person should consider this rod for some "light" punching duties, that would be welcomed.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 am

ccass wrote: I don't want you to spoil the suspense of the review but, if you could provide one with enough details to see if that person should consider this rod for some "light" punching duties, that would be welcomed.
Would you care to define "light" punching from your perspective? Line, weight of lure, type of cover, etc? When I think punching, I think at least 1 oz. tungsten, pegged plastic, heavy gauge straight shank flipping type hook working solidly matted beds of milfoil and or hydrilla. "light" punching could possibly be a 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz at max tungsten working edges of grass lines, occasionally dropping down into scattered holes, etc.

I fished the X7 Destruction this weekend with a 3/4 oz arky tungsten jig and a full sized rage craw trailer. Total weight about 1 oz and at the end of a long cast to 6' working down to about 30', that's in the zone with this rod in my hands. I did fish some deep bluffs with the same bait, and it's just fine for those purposes too.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap