daiwa steez harrier f spec

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

daiwa steez harrier f spec

Post by lund40 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:07 am

Look like i might have found a rod to pair with my 68spr, anyone has this rod, and what do you think of it.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: daiwa steez harrier f spec

Post by mitchct » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 am

Love it for weightless plastics. See this thread below, there is a lot of good information in it if you don't know a lot about the Steez rods (which I did not until the last year or so).

I sort of blindly bought the F-Spec a year or two ago because of its line and lure ratings, and lucked out with a really terrific rod. I wish I had all the information in the thread below before buying my first Steez rod, but I lucked out as I said.

I have not tried throwing light plugs with the F-Spec, which you may have in mind with that SPR? I think it would be fine if you stayed in the 1/4 oz range or lighter. I could try it out this weekend for you and let you know, unless you already know it's OK.

Good luck.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60577

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks...if you could that would be great i was also buying because of the specs how often do you come by a ml moderate baitcast, i also saw one on video saw the flex it was love at first sight
Thanks again

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:29 am

lund40 wrote:Thanks...if you could that would be great i was also buying because of the specs how often do you come by a ml moderate baitcast, i also saw one on video saw the flex it was love at first sight
Thanks again
Where you planning on buying it?

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:10 pm

E73Bass wrote:
lund40 wrote:Thanks...if you could that would be great i was also buying because of the specs how often do you come by a ml moderate baitcast, i also saw one on video saw the flex it was love at first sight
Thanks again
Where you planning on buying it?
I'm thinking plat all this jdm stuff is a whole new arena for me.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:59 am

Thanks again
OK, I gave it a shot this morning. The lakes are frozen here so I could only do a simulation, but here is what I found out. Remember the Harrier F-Spec is rated for 1/16 to ½ oz lures and 6-12 pound line.

I’ve been using this rod for light weightless plastics, and as I mentioned earlier I like it a lot for that technique. My typical baits would be straight tail worms or thin Senko’s or small flukes in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range, maybe a bit more (I use a MB Rattle Viper Technical game for weightless but heavier plastics like a 5” Senko or a paddle tail worm or a 4” tube with a weighted hook). I’ve never tried to throw anything even close to the ½ oz upper rating of the F-Spec, but that is what I experimented with this morning.

The reel used was a MB IS73c with a honeycomb spool and 6# Flouro (.23mm). I tied on a ½ oz practice plug and did some practice casts in the storage unit where I keep my boat. I made pretty easy sidearm or ¾ casts and was getting about 35 paces and then after 4-5 tries up to 42 paces (I tried to step it off in one yard paces, so figure 40+ paces to be about 40 yards or 120 to 130 feet). I had no problem getting this distance without really letting it rip. I think I could get 10 yards more with some practice. The retrieve on this ½ oz plug back over the concrete driveway was easy and smooth, but I’m curious about how the F-Spec would handle a plug on the upper end of its rating when retrieved through the water and would really like to have a more real-world test of that. So I decided to do another quick test outside.

The weather here is not great today, and it’s a little windy, but I went outside and tried a couple of casts where I didn’t have to worry about the ceiling and could try a more overhand cast to get better height. I put a bit more oomph into it and was getting about the same distance even with the wind (crosswind), maybe a bit more. When I retrieved the practice plug back over the grass/snow (we have had a warm trend the past couple of days and the snow is about 90% melted in the field I was in) the rod struggled a little bit when the plug hit an uneven spot. Still curious about the retrieve I next put a ¾ oz bullet weight on along with the ½ oz practice plug, again with the intent of testing the retrieve with more resistance than I can get on the practice plug over a smooth surface. I was a little surprised how well the rod cast this 1 ¼ oz weight (not that I’m recommending this), but I was really testing the retrieve. Again, and not surprisingly, the rod struggled with this heavier load.

I’m not sure how realistic my retrieve simulations were, but my feeling is this rod is going to be a great small plug rod for 1/8 oz up to at least 3/8 oz. It will definitely cast ½ oz baits but I’d like to see how well it actually handles the increased retrieve resistance from these larger moving baits.

Hope this helps. I also took a picture of the taper which I will attach.
Steez Harrie F-Spec Taper.jpg
Steez Harrier F-Spec Taper
Steez Harrie F-Spec Taper.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 4724 times

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:07 am

mitchct wrote:
Thanks again
OK, I gave it a shot this morning. The lakes are frozen here so I could only do a simulation, but here is what I found out. Remember the Harrier F-Spec is rated for 1/16 to ½ oz lures and 6-12 pound line.

I’ve been using this rod for light weightless plastics, and as I mentioned earlier I like it a lot for that technique. My typical baits would be straight tail worms or thin Senko’s or small flukes in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range, maybe a bit more (I use a MB Rattle Viper Technical game for weightless but heavier plastics like a 5” Senko or a paddle tail worm or a 4” tube with a weighted hook). I’ve never tried to throw anything even close to the ½ oz upper rating of the F-Spec, but that is what I experimented with this morning.

The reel used was a MB IS73c with a honeycomb spool and 6# Flouro (.23mm). I tied on a ½ oz practice plug and did some practice casts in the storage unit where I keep my boat. I made pretty easy sidearm or ¾ casts and was getting about 35 paces and then after 4-5 tries up to 42 paces (I tried to step it off in one yard paces, so figure 40+ paces to be about 40 yards or 120 to 130 feet). I had no problem getting this distance without really letting it rip. I think I could get 10 yards more with some practice. The retrieve on this ½ oz plug back over the concrete driveway was easy and smooth, but I’m curious about how the F-Spec would handle a plug on the upper end of its rating when retrieved through the water and would really like to have a more real-world test of that. So I decided to do another quick test outside.

The weather here is not great today, and it’s a little windy, but I went outside and tried a couple of casts where I didn’t have to worry about the ceiling and could try a more overhand cast to get better height. I put a bit more oomph into it and was getting about the same distance even with the wind (crosswind), maybe a bit more. When I retrieved the practice plug back over the grass/snow (we have had a warm trend the past couple of days and the snow is about 90% melted in the field I was in) the rod struggled a little bit when the plug hit an uneven spot. Still curious about the retrieve I next put a ¾ oz bullet weight on along with the ½ oz practice plug, again with the intent of testing the retrieve with more resistance than I can get on the practice plug over a smooth surface. I was a little surprised how well the rod cast this 1 ¼ oz weight (not that I’m recommending this), but I was really testing the retrieve. Again, and not surprisingly, the rod struggled with this heavier load.

I’m not sure how realistic my retrieve simulations were, but my feeling is this rod is going to be a great small plug rod for 1/8 oz up to at least 3/8 oz. It will definitely cast ½ oz baits but I’d like to see how well it actually handles the increased retrieve resistance from these larger moving baits.

Hope this helps. I also took a picture of the taper which I will attach.
Steez Harrie F-Spec Taper.jpg

Just sell me that rod today....Send paypal invoice to: E73bass@aol.com

Aquarium
Angler
Angler

Post by Aquarium » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:29 am

How many double foot guides have this rod? Thanks.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:37 am

Aquarium wrote:How many double foot guides have this rod? Thanks.

I do have 2 feet....though I am not a Guide...I do not have this rod...but I do want it...... :D

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 am

To mitchct..,i want to say thanks for going out of your way you been very helpful, the rod i know i want ,sorry about the bad weather.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:04 am

No worries, glad to help. Can't fish so might as well play with the gear. I've been on a buying spree lately also, I buy about 80% of my gear during the winter months when I can't get out and fish.

Actually, the weather lately has been pretty good the past few days for our neck of the woods - upper 40's yesterday and around 40 today. Most January days we think 25 is a good deal. Long winters around here for this South Carolina boy.

Aquarium, I will swing by my storage unit and take a look at those guides for you, I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:59 am

2 double foot guides, 7 small caliber guides + tip. very nice rod, i dont fish mine as often as i would like