JDM Certate 2510 PE-H Locomotive Level Wind

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

JDM Certate 2510 PE-H Locomotive Level Wind

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 am

I was thinking of picking up this reel because I am fishing 10 lb. braid for deep vertical drop-shot fishing and I am finding that all brands of braided line (coated and un-coated) don't fall off of the spool of my Sol 2500 smoothly. The line sticks in the peaks and valleys of the braid and hesitates on the drop. The minor dig in doesn't have anything to do with fish catches. Does anyone have experience with the JDM Certates that have the "locomotive" PE style level wind? Will it help this problem? Thanks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: JDM Certate 2510 PE-H Locomotive Level Wind

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:25 pm

I have the 13 2510R-PE and have no issues with stickiness on casts. I am not dropping my lures straight down for jigging however so I have not had first hand experience with using this reel in that manner.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:59 pm

I can't see you having any problems with the Certate. I use 10lb Shinobi braid on mine (not sure what Daiwa label it as where you are, but it is a very thin, smooth and limp line). never had any problems with line digging in on some fairly decent fish (up to 10kg) but as was stated earlier I am not drop shotting.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 am

Casting is not an issue because the momentum is strong enough that you never feel the resistance. It is only when I drop my line straight down that it doesn't come off of the spool smoothly. It's really annoying to have your bait slowing and speeding up when you are trying to drop on a fish that you see on your finder. It happens with 10 lb. SX1, PowerPro, 832, and Smackdown. I don't want to increase my line size. I'm guessing that my Sol 2500 isn't designed to put small PE line on the spool properly. I am hoping that the Certate with the locomotive level wind helps this issue because I do a lot of deep (30-70 feet) vertical dropshotting.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:30 am

Call me ignorant, but isn't advance locomotive level wind just an s shape cam? pretty much standard in all daiwa models?

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/pop_all.aspx

You are not going to like it, but wet braid stick to every thing. Especially light braid. You might want to try a whole new level wind system. Have you try the good old daiwa 1500ss, combine a long tapered spool and worm gear oscillation should help.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:12 am

toddmc wrote:I was thinking of picking up this reel because I am fishing 10 lb. braid for deep vertical drop-shot fishing and I am finding that all brands of braided line (coated and un-coated) don't fall off of the spool of my Sol 2500 smoothly. The line sticks in the peaks and valleys of the braid and hesitates on the drop. The minor dig in doesn't have anything to do with fish catches. Does anyone have experience with the JDM Certates that have the "locomotive" PE style level wind? Will it help this problem? Thanks.

Very curious to know if this specific model has a different line lay mechanism than the non PE models. I bought 2 of these and am using the RCS II 2508 spools, I am not aware of any mechanical difference, but I do know the PE is in regards to braid, but I thought it was a spool capacity issue, never crossed my mind it could be mechanical modification.

Can someone please jump in on this and address the line lay/winding statement?

Rick

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 am

karirick wrote:
toddmc wrote:I was thinking of picking up this reel because I am fishing 10 lb. braid for deep vertical drop-shot fishing and I am finding that all brands of braided line (coated and un-coated) don't fall off of the spool of my Sol 2500 smoothly. The line sticks in the peaks and valleys of the braid and hesitates on the drop. The minor dig in doesn't have anything to do with fish catches. Does anyone have experience with the JDM Certates that have the "locomotive" PE style level wind? Will it help this problem? Thanks.

Very curious to know if this specific model has a different line lay mechanism than the non PE models. I bought 2 of these and am using the RCS II 2508 spools, I am not aware of any mechanical difference, but I do know the PE is in regards to braid, but I thought it was a spool capacity issue, never crossed my mind it could be mechanical modification.

Can someone please jump in on this and address the line lay/winding statement?

Rick
jpangler.com says the Ignis Type R says is for fluorocarbon, which is the other reel that I was interested in. I assume this is a capacity issue also. But, it also led me to believe that the line winding mechanism might be slower. I know there is differences in the line capacity of the various JDM 2500 spools. I got the impression that the Certate PE's have a faster/different "locomotive" line winding system because I have seen it mentioned as "locomotive", but never explained in English. I have googled it, but I don't speak Japanese, which makes Daiwa's JDM site near useless to me for technical info. So, I posted here. Hopefully someone from Japan knows. I would love to have a reel that solves my problem.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:06 am

hobobob wrote:Call me ignorant, but isn't advance locomotive level wind just an s shape cam? pretty much standard in all daiwa models?

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/pop_all.aspx

You are not going to like it, but wet braid stick to every thing. Especially light braid. You might want to try a whole new level wind system. Have you try the good old daiwa 1500ss, combine a long tapered spool and worm gear oscillation should help.
Yes, I now see from the use of google that other Daiwa spinning reels are said to have an "advanced locomotive" line winding system. The description of the Certate was the first time I had seen it. My 80's vintage 1500SS has caught so many fish that it is only used for hiking in the Sierras for trout and by newbies in my boat. Although this is a great reel for its day, I am not quite willing to go that "old school" with money on the line. :D I caught several 10 pounders and a lot of saltwater fish on light line with that reel. The drag is still original and great.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 am

lol. you are not willing to use an proven old school reel with drag that put many modern reel to shame and yet you want to put your money on something new and shinny? :lol: Don't worry, the other kid won't laugh at you, especially after you use ugly Betty to beat their sorry a$$.

It does appeared that daiwa does made something specific for braid fishing to prevent dig ins. It's a feature call cross wrapping. Whether or not it can prevent line sticking that's another matter, try it and report back. :lol:

Karirick, the rcs spool does not change line lay. the internal levelwind gear does.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:05 pm

hobobob wrote:lol. you are not willing to use an proven old school reel with drag that put many modern reel to shame and yet you want to put your money on something new and shinny? :lol: Don't worry, the other kid won't laugh at you, especially after you use ugly Betty to beat their sorry a$$.

It does appeared that daiwa does made something specific for braid fishing to prevent dig ins. It's a feature call cross wrapping. Whether or not it can prevent line sticking that's another matter, try it and report back. :lol:

Karirick, the rcs spool does not change line lay. the internal levelwind gear does.
Yeah I know the spool doesn't affect just mentioning I use that spool. Haven't fished them to see if anything is different. Thanks for the replies, can't hurt mono/fluoro performance I wouldn't think even if it is different.

Rick

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:38 pm

hobobob wrote:lol. you are not willing to use an proven old school reel with drag that put many modern reel to shame and yet you want to put your money on something new and shinny? :lol: Don't worry, the other kid won't laugh at you, especially after you use ugly Betty to beat their sorry a$$.

My SS1300 is taped to an old custom Tennessee handle rod that is a little stiff for dropshotting. I'm going to have to take it off. You are not making satisfying my curiosity easy on me. :) It really has caught so many fish that the handle has a bit of play and the gears have a little play, but the drag is still perfect. One of my Sol 2500's had a cracked handle screw about a year ago and I threw a few tubes with the SS1300 for memories. I hope no one saw me. You weren't in that blue Ranger that day were you? :oops:

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 am

I wish I have a ranger. Although the reel feel ancient with wobbles and black plays in the handle. That reel is made for braid fishing, which is incredible foresight by Daiwa's engineers. Line roller is made of ceramic, not metal, how many reel can say that. Long forward tapered spool should be more braid frendly than the current reversed tapered spool. Compare to modern reels, the line roller does not have a bearing nor does it have a grove to get a better traction on fishing line, so you might bet a bit more twist in a way, but that shouldn't be an issue since you are using braid. My only pet peeve is that small hard knob. I might drill mine out this coming season and replace it with one of those big comfy Shimano knobs. :shock:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 pm

A few quickly responded e-mails from JPAngler.com helped me clarify the line laying system on both the JDM Certate and Ignis Type R. The Daiwa cross wrap system http://www.daiwa-cormoran.info/dw/en/pr ... rdrows2=10 is an improvement over my old Sol 2500 reels with braid and is used on all the Certate and Ignis models. This looks more like the old SS1500 system to me.
The flouro designation of the Ignis Type R has to do with the tapered lip of the spool, a smaller line capacity, and a finesse drag for light fluoro. The Certate's drag is stronger and the PE designated reels have more capacity for saltwater fishing with braid. It looks like the Ignis should be fine for 10lb. braid with a light leader and drop shotting, even though that is not what it is designed for.