Aaron Martens leaves Megabass

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aaron Martens leaves Megabass

Post by karirick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 am

mhood wrote:How can you folks be so superficial as to allow color to affect your tackle purchases? :big grin:

Now that was funny MHOOD!!!!

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 am

africanbass wrote:Wow!
Remember how much resistance the white Abu blank encountered initially?
Lets hope the reel manufacturers don't join in this time.
Dayglo trooper :cry:
And remember how many people posted of the white blanks breaking, right up there with the orange blanks breaking.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:19 am

mhood wrote:How can you folks be so superficial as to allow color to affect your tackle purchases? :big grin:
That took me a second.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 am

just b/c pros use them don't always mean that the gear is any good....i'm not so influenced to buy any gear that a pro is paid to say is the best product on the market....kudos to him....none of us know how much financially he stands to gain from this new partnership but i'm sure at the end of the day he'll sleep easy at night while his bank roll grows....who even knows, these rods might actually be decent but i'll pass judgement until once details are released about them.....

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 am

Meh...I'll give em a look before bashing. AMart is a gear head. He knows what works.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:01 am

njbasscat wrote:Here's my take on why some people are bummed about the direction Aaron went, including me. Very few guys on tour fish with high end JDM stuff. When you watched Aaron, you thought, he is one of us. He appreciates enthusiast gear. I mean, so much so that he fished the reels he wanted without a sponsorship. If he went to Evergreen, Shimano, Jackall, Daiwa, or even built his own line of rods using the finest blanks and guides, most of us enthusiasts would be ok with that. But to see the cheap looking rod that looks like something Skeet or Boyd sell, you quickly come to the conclusion that he sold out. I don't blame him personally, everyone's got to eat. It just feels like we lost one of our own.
Couldn't of said it any better.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:26 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:Meh...I'll give em a look before bashing. AMart is a gear head. He knows what works.

Ditto. I believe he knows what works, and beyond that could put a whoop on most (all) of us with an Ugly Stck.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:47 am

I doubt the baitcasters would have the microwave guides on the. As there really isn't any need. From what I remember of them (I read a review on them some time ago. It may have been here but I doubt it) they were better suited for spinning rods.

I doubt any of the retailers in my area will carry these anytime soon but I wouldn't mind checking them out at the very least. As mentioned above, he seems to be a tackle nut so they can't be half bad. I don't think they will live up to the XX line though so it will be interesting to see the price point of his line of rods.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:50 am

the 1st time i can remember seeing a mb rod was on a bassmasters show with aaron. at that time they weren't nearly as subtle as they are nowdays.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 am

Aaronb wrote:I really think all the critical comments on his choice really kind of show the worst of the TackleTour community. I'm happy for him to try do this. I personally would at least take the time to look at and maybe even try one of these rods before complaining about them. They could be the grey colored rods.

I built a rod with microwave guides. I haven't had a chance to use it. I'll try and let you know how it works.
This. I would have loved if he signed with Shimano\Jackall but it doesn't bother me enough to post critical comments that he went the way he did.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 am

the hooligan wrote:
njbasscat wrote:Here's my take on why some people are bummed about the direction Aaron went, including me. Very few guys on tour fish with high end JDM stuff. When you watched Aaron, you thought, he is one of us. He appreciates enthusiast gear. I mean, so much so that he fished the reels he wanted without a sponsorship. If he went to Evergreen, Shimano, Jackall, Daiwa, or even built his own line of rods using the finest blanks and guides, most of us enthusiasts would be ok with that. But to see the cheap looking rod that looks like something Skeet or Boyd sell, you quickly come to the conclusion that he sold out. I don't blame him personally, everyone's got to eat. It just feels like we lost one of our own.
Couldn't of said it any better.
X3

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:05 am

x4 Very well said.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:20 am

Bootytrain wrote:I don't see why a lot of you are butthurt over this. He was offered a career opportunity and he took it like any other pro angler would have.
I totally agree Bootytrain..as much as we liked having him represent MB, this is unfortunately about money and he has every right to chose what he feels is best for him and his career. Not to mention...providing for a family. I'm a Megabass fan not because of him, but because I believe they make the most beautiful, unique and finest rods available. I wish him nothing but the best of luck as its gonna be tough to succeed in an already saturated rod market.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am

Very well said btw.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Bold move! All he needs to do is WIN the classic and the rods will really take off!