Aaron Martens leaves Megabass

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aaron Martens leaves Megabass

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 am

Like most pros who switch sponsors, I'm just waiting for him to say these are the finest rods he's every fished 8-)

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 am

Just hope he does not say these are "game changers".

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 am

Best guides ever!! LOL.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Quick to trash a man's work anyone's fished with one.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Martin Lo wrote:Quick to trash a man's work anyone's fished with one.
Please do not take what I said as "bashing" but until details and reviews are done then we see nothing to consider this rod to be a $160.00 to $260.00 superior rod given that this area of the market already has some very quality rods in it. It as Microwave guides, some might like the but I see nothing great about them compared to the choke point guides. So until we see "proof" in terms of performance and quietly components then I see no real "game changer".

On that note, I can not bash a person for trying to benefit themselves and I hope the absolute best for him and his endeavor. I just hope his new company can live up to the hype of leaving one of the most highly regarded companies in the bass fishing market.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 am

The new Enigma I'm told use blanks and guides from American Tackle. Which exact blank i was not told yet.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 am

njbasscat wrote:Here's my take on why some people are bummed about the direction Aaron went, including me. Very few guys on tour fish with high end JDM stuff. When you watched Aaron, you thought, he is one of us. He appreciates enthusiast gear. I mean, so much so that he fished the reels he wanted without a sponsorship. If he went to Evergreen, Shimano, Jackall, Daiwa, or even built his own line of rods using the finest blanks and guides, most of us enthusiasts would be ok with that. But to see the cheap looking rod that looks like something Skeet or Boyd sell, you quickly come to the conclusion that he sold out. I don't blame him personally, everyone's got to eat. It just feels like we lost one of our own.
Well said, nj. I looked forward to seeing what rod (and overall equipment) he used for certain techniques. He seemed to be a true enthusiast, like many of us.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Since Enigma is not a household name, I see it as a unique challenge and much shorter down sell out lane than many here are accusing him of walking.
This isn't Quantum, where he would hitch a ride to existing volume all the way to the bank. In fact I believe regardless of build quality and performance, Martens now needs to win and win soon in order to benefit from this venture in a significant way. The pressure is on and the viability of the new sponsorship, not to mention the longevity rests on Aarons ability to perform and deliver a Classic win along side a couple of very healthy years.
Otherwise, I can't imagine how many cheques he is going to cash with a failed rod company whether he owns it or not. If he owns it, even more of a challenge and even more respect from this guy for trying to make it on your own.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:55 pm

I never understood why people equate career advancement/financial success to selling out. If anyone left their job for a better paying one with more potential, would you be selling out? Martens doesn't owe anyone an explanation on why he chose this path.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Two-time Bassmaster Angler of the Year to work with new companyAaron Martens, known to millions as "The Natural," has signed with Enigma Fishing and designed a line of bass fishing rods — "Aaron's Edge" — that are now available to anglers and retailers everywhere.
The two-time Bassmaster Angler of the Year, three-time WON Bass U.S. Open champion and FLW Tour winner is excited about the partnership and the new rods.
"The opportunity to design my own rods from scratch means a lot to me," Martens said, "and I'm doing that with the Aaron's Edge series. Several models are ready and more are in the works. I think they're the best rods on the market at any price, but they're also affordable."
Starting a tackle company in tough economic times and with plenty of fierce competition in the rod category, Enigma sales manager Jesse Tacoronte knows the right people are mission critical. Martens was the only angler he considered for the challenge.
"In launching Enigma, our commitment is to making the best fishing products possible," Tacoronte said. "When we thought about who we wanted to work with, we realized Aaron was the only person for the job. No one else has his attention to detail and no one else demands as much from his equipment. Enigma may be new, but we're starting with the best bass angler and the best bass rods you can find anywhere at any price.
"With the Bassmaster Classic just around the corner, we worked around the clock to get these rods designed and built. We believe the Aaron's Edge rods are going to be the edge he needs to win the Super Bowl of bass fishing."
There are a dozen casting models in the Aaron's Edge lineup and three spinning models; every rod in the lineup retails for $169.99 each. More models will be introduced as Martens designs and perfects them.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:15 pm

Website is live: http://enigmafishing.com/

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 pm

tywithay wrote:Website is live: http://enigmafishing.com/
Oh my!
On with the 80's....Barf!

This is just my opinion, I'm sure they perform well.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44 pm

389Maverick wrote:
tywithay wrote:Website is live: http://enigmafishing.com/
Oh my!
On with the 80's....Barf!

This is just my opinion, I'm sure they perform well.
I think they're ugly as well. A raw carbon blank with those handles would be excellent. I think these guys try too hard. No need to be cute.

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:53 pm

Press release posted above says $169, while website says $179.

I've not made a tackle purchase based on who uses what.....but I was sick to see Aaron leave MB. Feels like an era has ended. I normally like to figure things out on my own, but I have learned more from AM than from all the other pros combined. I genuinely hope MB finds a similar person to take his place and preach the gospel of quality above quantity.

Just my $0.02

Matt

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:10 am

While I am glad for Aaron, I do not think these rods will hurt MB sales one bit.