MB X7 Simoon

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MB X7 Simoon

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:18 am

Will the Simoon handle small jerkbaits, topwaters, and cranks? Or am I better off sticking with soft plastic finesse stuff? I'm buying it so I can start learning finesse techniques and expand my skill set so it's ok if it won't handle the hardbaits, but I just wondered. The only spinning rigs I've ever had were smaller cheap setups geared towards crappie and bream. I've never even fished a spinning rod designed for bass so I don't really know what to expect when I get it. My F4-70 GTZ is the lightest casting rod I've ever fished and the Simoon is a F3.5, but I'm guessing comparing powers between a casting rod and a spinning rod isn't very valid. Anyway, if anybody has any thoughts on the subject, or on the rod in general, I'm all ears. MB's description is a bit vague and I haven't found a lot out there on it. Thanks!

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MB X7 Simoon

Post by Farnorth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am

While I'm sure you could cast smaller moving baits with the Simoom it really is better suited to bottom contact baits. With a jig on it feels so "tense". It isn't soft enough for me for cranks and the like.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm

The Lycaon Evolution is the perfect rod for little hards, yet still sensitive enough for small plastics.

I have the old Evoluzion model, I guess the new 2014 Evoluzion model would be as good.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Farnorth wrote:While I'm sure you could cast smaller moving baits with the Simoom it really is better suited to bottom contact baits. With a jig on it feels so "tense". It isn't soft enough for me for cranks and the like.
When you say tense do you mean as in it translates every little vibration coming up thru the line from your jig?

kakaryan wrote:The Lycaon Evolution is the perfect rod for little hards, yet still sensitive enough for small plastics.

I have the old Evoluzion model, I guess the new 2014 Evoluzion model would be as good.
See, this is where I get confused on spinning rods. The Lycaon is a F0.5 which would make me think it's not for hardbaits at all. I can see I need a crash course on spinning rods... :big grin:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 pm

The power doesn't decide whether a rod is for plastics or hards, but the action does. Generally, ex.fast ~ med.fast for plastics/jigs then med.fast ~ regular for hards/trebles lures but these could be personal preference. Eg. You may still want a fast rod for fishing hards around heavy cover and oyster racks.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:49 pm

SouthArkFishin wrote:
Farnorth wrote:While I'm sure you could cast smaller moving baits with the Simoom it really is better suited to bottom contact baits. With a jig on it feels so "tense". It isn't soft enough for me for cranks and the like.
When you say tense do you mean as in it translates every little vibration coming up thru the line from your jig?
I was trying to find the right way to say it. The rod is very sensitive so yes you can feel everything. I was playing around with a 1/16 tungsten ice jig and micro plastic last year and could still feel every tap from even from Perch so small (less than 1oz) that they couldn't manage to get a size 10 hook in their mouth. The fast action also makes it responsive to any action you might impart. It's an excellent soft plastic rod.

Kakaryan has it right for how I use rods as well. Action dictates the type of baits I prefer to use a rod for. Power relates to lure weight and the type of cover/structure being fished as well as fish species for me.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:32 am

Farnorth wrote:
SouthArkFishin wrote:
I was trying to find the right way to say it. The rod is very sensitive so yes you can feel everything. I was playing around with a 1/16 tungsten ice jig and micro plastic last year and could still feel every tap from even from Perch so small (less than 1oz) that they couldn't manage to get a size 10 hook in their mouth. The fast action also makes it responsive to any action you might impart. It's an excellent soft plastic rod.

Kakaryan has it right for how I use rods as well. Action dictates the type of baits I prefer to use a rod for. Power relates to lure weight and the type of cover/structure being fished as well as fish species for me.
Wow. That's pretty sensitive. I'd say the word tense was a good choice in your last post. I'd think the blank would have to be very high tension to transmit such low amplitude vibrations. I guess where I get thrown off is that I think of spinning rods as super soft affairs with buggy whip type flexibility cos that's the only kind I've ever used. That and when I see F0.5 rated rod it conjures up an image of somebody taking a piece of half cooked spaghetti and trying to catch a 5lb fish with it. I appreciate you guys trying to educate me a bit.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:43 am

I just got my Simoon and Evoluzion C40 Elseil rod from Japan and UPS charged me $101.48 :cry:

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 am

Pen3 wrote:I just got my Simoon and Evoluzion C40 Elseil rod from Japan and UPS charged me $101.48 :cry:
You mean that's what they hit you with for custom's fees?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 am

SouthArkFishin wrote:
Pen3 wrote:I just got my Simoon and Evoluzion C40 Elseil rod from Japan and UPS charged me $101.48 :cry:
Yeah, but the shipping charge from Megabass was only $58 so it wasn't too bad. The Simoom was $358 and C40 Elseil was $425.

I also picked up a lightly used 2010 Stella C2500HGS for $340 from Japan that will go on the Simoom.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Pen3 wrote:
SouthArkFishin wrote:
Yeah, but the shipping charge from Megabass was only $58 so it wasn't too bad. The Simoom was $358 and C40 Elseil was $425.

I also picked up a lightly used 2010 Stella C2500HGS for $340 from Japan that will go on the Simoom.

I'd say you came out alright then. From what I've read that sounds like a good deal for shipping on a 1-piece rod. You get em from the MB Outlet Store? I've wondered about buying a reel from there before.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:48 am

Where are my manners, i should have posted a picture too. I plan on adding a Livre double handle later on.

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 am

Absolutely gorgeous combo! =D>

Nothing beats a Stella spinning reel IMHO.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21 am

Ham Solo wrote:Absolutely gorgeous combo! =D>

Am I the only one that likes the look of the 2010 Stella over the 2014? It looks a bit similar to the Millennium edition. Does anyone have or can take a picture of both side by side?

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 am

Ham Solo wrote:Absolutely gorgeous combo! =D>

For some reason I just can't get into the Stella. I know that's bordering on heresy around here, but I just can't help it. I've tried. No such luck. 'Course my ideal spinning reel is a Racing Condition. Only problem with that is from what I gather they suck. Contemplating buying a used Stella and just having it blacked out...