Anyone else excited about the Daiwa SV Alphas

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone else exited about the Daiwa SV Alphas

Post by Teal101 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Yup this is my new shallow crank reel. It should be killer with lightweight baits.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 pm

Teal101 wrote:Yup this is my new shallow crank reel. It should be killer with lightweight baits.
Now the question is ... which rod?
I'm a fan of Dobyns and looking at a 704CB.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:10 am

kakaryan wrote:This is nothing new, I think, at least not groundbreaking.

I know most people, me included, were taught to tighten the CC knob so that the lure fell slowly when we were newbie. But when we were getting better, we loosened it. Since then, I have never adjusted the CC knob. I have never tighten it to add brake force. I use mag. brake only. I know many other better anglers are doing the same.

I am not saying I am very good at casting, but 95% of time I don't use the CC knob at all. I might use it when casting really heavy stuff that the initial spool speed is too fast and needa be tamed. Anyway, I understand what Daiwa is trying to say, that the SV spool is really user friendly which even newbie could loosen the CC knob and use mag. brake only.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
One of the reasons I don't really care for a clicking ccc ;)

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am

StarTzar wrote:
Teal101 wrote:Yup this is my new shallow crank reel. It should be killer with lightweight baits.
Now the question is ... which rod?
I'm a fan of Dobyns and looking at a 704CB.
Swingfire or flat side special for me. Probably the swingfire.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:35 pm

I preordered mine a couple of days ago. This will be my first JDM reel. I was wondering though. Is it normal for them to charge $15 shipping to the preorder?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:38 pm

wvbassin wrote:I preordered mine a couple of days ago. This will be my first JDM reel. I was wondering though. Is it normal for them to charge $15 shipping to the preorder?
I don't know if it's normal but that is what they charged me for the new Zillion 1516XXH.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
wvbassin wrote:I preordered mine a couple of days ago. This will be my first JDM reel. I was wondering though. Is it normal for them to charge $15 shipping to the preorder?
I don't know if it's normal but that is what they charged me for the new Zillion 1516XXH.

Yes...You will get that back if you cancel.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 am

africanbass wrote:

I know most people, me included, were taught to tighten the CC knob so that the lure fell slowly when we were newbie. But when we were getting better, we loosened it. Since then, I have never adjusted the CC knob. I have never tighten it to add brake force. I use mag. brake only. I know many other better anglers are doing the same.

I am not saying I am very good at casting, but 95% of time I don't use the CC knob at all. I might use it when casting really heavy stuff that the initial spool speed is too fast and needa be tamed. Anyway, I understand what Daiwa is trying to say, that the SV spool is really user friendly which even newbie could loosen the CC knob and use mag. brake only.
Keep forgetting...This is the IMPORT section...and others use the term CC ...where I use the term spool tensioner knob...I have never used the spool tensioner to aid in casting...it has always been there for rate of fall of bait as it pertains to weight of bait I am using.
Tightening of it would be FOREIGN to me unless I was just using for topwater plugs (would not need bait to fall) and then I would most likely have no distance. Have used it as loose as I could get it...and the clickys are nice depending on rate of fall and how fish are reacting. Not sure African bass how a "clicking ccc" would matter on your since it appears you use it to aid in casting...clicking or not should not impede your casting.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:53 am

E73Bass wrote:
africanbass wrote:

Keep forgetting...This is the IMPORT section...and others use the term CC ...where I use the term spool tensioner knob...I have never used the spool tensioner to aid in casting...it has always been there for rate of fall of bait as it pertains to weight of bait I am using.
Tightening of it would be FOREIGN to me unless I was just using for topwater plugs (would not need bait to fall) and then I would most likely have no distance. Have used it as loose as I could get it...and the clickys are nice depending on rate of fall and how fish are reacting. Not sure African bass how a "clicking ccc" would matter on your since it appears you use it to aid in casting...clicking or not should not impede your casting.

Just an observation: but why do you always come across so condescending... It's really off-putting. :-$ Who cares what he calls the main brake

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 am

trent_s wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
africanbass wrote:

Just an observation: but why do you always come across so condescending... It's really off-putting. :-$ Who cares what he calls the main brake
Some people have to pontificate every statement, because of their dogmatic personality. There is an enemy function on this board for a reason :). I personally don't like the SS SV I have. Its a very solid reel, but I dislike the strong breaking system. Relatively weak drag + the smooth retrieve Daiwa is known for doesn't help either when cranking or fighting the fish, since it constantly feels like its slipping. The fact that I can cast further with the breaks off is really saying something to me (I have pretty sub-par thumbing).

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:36 am

I couldn't hold out any longer and pre-ordered one today. I'm going to put it on a finesse rod and use 8 lb Sniper.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:47 pm

I'll get a spool and a couple gearsets from the 7.2 lefty and maybe a nosepiece or two for experimenting.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:59 am

E73Bass wrote:
africanbass wrote:

Unless I am reading this wrong.... if you use the CC to adjust the rate of fall for your bait, then aren't you technically using the CC to aid in casting?

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:20 am

Am I the only one who was hoping for an orange spool? :crying:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:30 am

CGrinder wrote:Am I the only one who was hoping for an orange spool? :crying:
It's quite possible. When the orginal SV spoolscame out, everyone was clamoring for a black or silver option.